Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old May 6, 2013, 09:15 AM   #1
caspersoong
macrumors 6502a

Electoral fraud in Malaysia and loss of democracy - Please help.

We Malaysians have lost our democracy very long ago ...

On the 5th of May 2013, Malaysia held its General Elections, yet it was so unfair and corrupt that we can't help but feel that we have lost our democracy. We had a terrible election fraud.

Click image for larger version

Name:	197659_10201153462823491_1676564869_n.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	411069

From http://www.france24.com/en/20130506-...election-fraud
Quote:
The people of Malaysia took to the polls on Sunday, in the country’s fiercely contested General Election, an electoral process that web users have been watching extremely closely in a bid to tackle election fraud.

The Bersih movement has been campaigning for free and transparent elections over the past few years, and set up an interactive map collating and locating reports of irregularities sent in from across Malaysia either via the Internet or SMS.

But social networks have been the favoured channel for reporting suspicions of electoral fraud across the country. Countless web users claimed the ink being used in voting booths was indelible, making it possible for people to vote more than once. (This is true - I witnessed it)

Others have been focused on spotting "phantom voters" in polling offices. The party of the outgoing Prime Minister has been accused of bringing in foreign workers to vote, illegally, in its favour. Numerous people, deemed dubious, have been asked to prove their citizenship by singing the national anthem for example, something some web users have condemned as racial profiling.
(Many legit videos confirm this)

And despite recently falling victim to a series of cyber-attacks, independent news site Malaysiakini, has also particularly vigilant during voting, highlighting, for example, a suspected case of vote buying in an undecided constituency.
Also, there was a 10 minute blackout at many polling stations, and suddenly new boxes of votes for the Barisan Nasional (BN) party (ruling coalition) came out of nowhere.

https://mitsueki.wordpress.com/tag/t...aysia-ge-2013/

Please spread the news around the globe. We need international help to free ourselves from the shackles of tyranny. We need international awareness and help. Please help save our democracy.

A concerned Malaysian.
Old May 7, 2013, 02:52 AM   #2
caspersoong
macrumors 6502a

http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/229367

This highlights the issues with our electoral system well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22424118

For those skeptical, BBC's unbiased but wary article also tells of electoral fraud. However, I guess you cannot offend the government of another country merely for the sake of journalistic ethics. They have been censored before.

http://www.sarawakreport.org/2012/04...age-exclusive/

Name:	250x370xc7c4bba706fcedcffb59e6e0aaf48ccd.gif.pagespeed.ic.MVwJ6x_st-.png
Views:	35
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	411170

Even though the opposition won in terms of popular votes, they lost quite badly in the election with only 89 seats out of 222 compared to the ruling coalition's 134 seats. (most of the votes for the ruling coalition are phantom votes and bought votes, or votes of people from Bangladesh)

Evidence for the blackouts:

Name:	9385_10151512411662933_1374853367_n.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	411171

(Pardon the English in the picture; we Malaysians typically have bad grammar.)

Please keep this thread alive by posting in it, possibly with messages of support for the Malaysians on this forum.

Long live democracy!

Last edited by caspersoong; May 7, 2013 at 03:11 AM.
caspersoong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 03:28 AM   #3
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspersoong View Post
To be fair gerrymandering happens a lot in the US. Even in the UK where the election boundaries are drawn up by an independent organisation as the Labour voting areas have lower turnout than Conservative voting areas they have more seats than their vote share would suggest.
Old May 7, 2013, 05:42 AM   #4
caspersoong
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
To be fair gerrymandering happens a lot in the US. Even in the UK where the election boundaries are drawn up by an independent organisation as the Labour voting areas have lower turnout than Conservative voting areas they have more seats than their vote share would suggest.
Yes that's true. But I don't think such a huge majority for the ruling coalition should be possible when popular votes for the opposition exceeds that of the ruling coalition. And I think blacking out places to add extra votes and then force a re-count is really crossing the line.

Name:	945341_572456836119620_1811914915_n.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	411176
Old May 7, 2013, 08:22 AM   #5
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Yes that's true. But I don't think such a huge majority for the ruling coalition should be possible when popular votes for the opposition exceeds that of the ruling coalition. And I think blacking out places to add extra votes and then force a re-count is really crossing the line.

Attachment 411176
Yeah that looks pretty dodgy.
Eraserhead is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 08:39 AM   #6
ohbrilliance
macrumors 6502a

caspersoong, do you think this fraud changed the final result?
All I know is my FB is awash with black profile pics. Every one of my Malaysian friends is protesting in this way.
ohbrilliance is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 08:52 AM   #7
caspersoong
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbrilliance View Post
caspersoong, do you think this fraud changed the final result?
All I know is my FB is awash with black profile pics.
I think it is unlikely that the opposition would have won given the gerrymandering. However, I think that the opposition would still have won at least a hundred seats. Without the fraud, I think the opposition would have around 40 percent chance of winning.

Malaysians have petitioned to the United Nations on change.org and to the US government at whitehouse.gov (yes, I know they shouldn't have) and garnered more than 200,000 signatures on each petition. Do you think that we will get any international help?

P.S. Thanks to everyone for your concern and help! Please continue to spread news of these immoral actions. We need all the awareness we can get. Many of us don't want to be stuck with a government that does these actions for another 5 years!

Last edited by caspersoong; May 7, 2013 at 08:58 AM.
caspersoong is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 09:14 PM   #8
caspersoong
macrumors 6502a

From Bloomberg:

Quote:
Anwar Vows Battle Over Lost Malaysia Election as Thousands Rally

Malaysia opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim vowed to contest 30 seats lost in a May 5 election, enough to swing the result, in a speech to a packed stadium outside of Kuala Lumpur last night.

An estimated 80,000 opposition backers defied threats of arrest and heavy rains to attend the rally in Selangor state. The crowd blew horns, chanted “ubah” -- or “change” -- and wore black T-shirts with “050513” to mark the date of the poll won by Prime Minister Najib Razak’s coalition, which lost a majority of the popular vote for the first time in 44 years amid a record 85 percent turnout.

“We will continue this struggle and we will never surrender,” Anwar told his supporters. “This is merely the beginning of the battle between the rakyat and an illegitimate, corrupt and arrogant government,” he said, using the Malay word for “people.”

RELATED

Anwar’s Malaysia Leadership Push Derailed in Rural Heartland
Najib to Shift Focus to Malaysia’s Finances After Poll Victory
Ringgit Jumps Most Since 2010, Stocks Reach Record Post Election
The protest could heighten tensions as Anwar seeks momentum for his claims the election was rigged after his alliance ended up with 44 fewer seats than Najib’s 13-party Barisan Nasional group even as it won more total votes. Malaysia’s benchmark stock index fell yesterday after gains in the two sessions immediately following the vote.

“We call on all Malaysians to come forward to share their experiences and help us get to the truth,” Lim Kit Siang, founder of the opposition Democratic Action Party, the biggest in Anwar’s alliance, told the rally, according to a transcript. “A victory that is earned through money, lies and manipulation is not a victory at all.”

Contesting Seats

Lim, whose majority ethnic Chinese party expanded its seat take, said the opposition will contest results in at least 30 seats where it alleges electoral fraud occurred. Anwar repeated the claim.

The Election Commission has said the process ran smoothly. Candidates have 21 days to file petitions challenging results, commission Chairman Abdul Aziz Mohd Yusof told Radio24 yesterday, state-run Bernama news service reported. After that, a judge can void the result if fraud occurred and a by-election would be called, he was quoted as saying. Rafizi Ramli, strategic director for Anwar’s People’s Justice Party, said as many as 80,000 people showed up last night in and outside the stadium, which he said has a capacity of about half that size. Traffic was at a standstill in surrounding streets.

Selangor police chief Tun Hisan Tun Hamzah didn’t respond to a text message seeking an official crowd estimate. Earlier yesterday he warned that arrests could be made because the protest violated the Peaceful Assembly Act. No security forces blocked people from attending.

Worst Showing

The benchmark FTSE Bursa Malaysia KLCI Index (FBMKLCI), which has risen a total of 4.7 percent since the election, fell 0.2 percent yesterday. The ringgit strengthened as much as 0.6 percent to 2.9625 against the dollar, bringing its total gains since the poll to 2.3 percent, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

Najib’s coalition won 133 of 222 parliamentary seats, its worst showing in 13 straight election wins since Malaysia gained independence from Britain in 1957. It won 47 percent of all votes for parliamentary seats in an election with a record turnout, compared with 51 percent for Anwar’s coalition, Election Commission data showed.

Anwar cited the total vote tally in a statement two days ago disputing the outcome and accusing the Election Commission of “being complicit in the worst electoral fraud in our nation’s history.”

‘Free, Fair’

The election was “free and fair” and Anwar’s rally was “calculated to create unrest,” Najib’s office said in a statement yesterday. It also rejected parts of a report released by the Institute for Democracy and Economic Affairs, a group accredited by the Election Commission to observe the vote, saying it “strays far outside the original mandate.”

The group, known as IDEAS, said yesterday the election was “only partially free and not fair.” While the campaign period proceeded “without any major glitches,” wider issues such as media bias and unequal constituency sizes gave an advantage to Najib’s coalition.

“There is this big issue of delineation” of electoral districts, said Ramon Navaratnam, chairman of the Centre for Public Policy Studies, which released the report together with IDEAS. “You can make all the improvements, but if that structural fundamental issue is not resolved, it’s always going to be regarded as an unfair electoral process.”

‘Chinese Tsunami’

Anwar, a former finance minister and a member of Najib’s party until his ouster in 1998, struggled to swing voters in government strongholds where his own Malay ethnic group is dominant. Najib attributed his loss in Selangor, where the opposition took 17 of 22 seats, to a “Chinese tsunami” against the government.

Ethnic Chinese make up about a quarter of Malaysia’s 29 million people, while about 60 percent are Malays and indigenous groups together known as Bumiputera, or “sons of the soil.” The opposition rejected Najib’s analysis of the election outcome in racial terms, a sensitive topic in a country where hundreds were killed in Sino-Malay riots in 1969.

“It serves no good purpose, but only self-interest, to speak of and emphasize the election results along racial lines,” Christopher Leong, president of the Malaysian Bar Council, said in a statement today. “Spewing venom and spreading discord must not be the Malaysian way.”
Old May 9, 2013, 02:00 PM   #9
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Quote:
Malaysians have petitioned to the United Nations on change.org and to the US government at whitehouse.gov (yes, I know they shouldn't have) and garnered more than 200,000 signatures on each petition. Do you think that we will get any international help?
What kind of help?

I'm not disagreeing with the possibility of a problem with fraud or the need for something to be done, I'm just wondering what does another country do to "help" with this?
Old May 9, 2013, 02:13 PM   #10
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Caspersoong: Thank you for taking the time to draw attention to this election and for posting so eloquently about it. I have been following the outcome - and reactions - in the international media with interest.

Were any of the international bodies which usually observe elections (such as The Carter Centre, which is very well regarded in the field, ODIHR - the election monitoring and human rights arm of the OSCE, and the EU, the last two of which are vastly experienced) present in the country as observers during the voter registration period, the election campaign and election itself, and if so, did any of them publish their findings?
Scepticalscribe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 04:02 PM   #11
TedM
macrumors 6502

I don't know how we could help.
Old May 10, 2013, 02:04 AM   #12
Hugh
macrumors Demi-God

I have no idea, so just hear me out.

Can a run off election help and somehow get the UN run the election so it would be less corruption. There would still ways for voter fraud to take place, but if the UN is running the show it might be harder.

Again I don't know about these things, just making a suggestion.

Hugh
Old May 10, 2013, 07:16 AM   #13
caspersoong
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
Caspersoong: Thank you for taking the time to draw attention to this election and for posting so eloquently about it. I have been following the outcome - and reactions - in the international media with interest.

Were any of the international bodies which usually observe elections (such as The Carter Centre, which is very well regarded in the field, ODIHR - the election monitoring and human rights arm of the OSCE, and the EU, the last two of which are vastly experienced) present in the country as observers during the voter registration period, the election campaign and election itself, and if so, did any of them publish their findings?
Thanks for the question. The answer for that is no. But

Quote:
KUALA LUMPUR: Independent Malaysian polls watchdogs on Wednesday disputed the government's insistence that weekend elections were free and fair, citing "serious flaws" in the electoral system.

A joint report by the Institute for Democracy and Economic Affairs (IDEAS) and the Centre for Public Policy Studies (CPPS) cited a range of problems including widespread concerns over the integrity of the electoral roll.

It added that while voting and handling of ballots generally proceeded smoothly, issues including faulty indelible ink, partisan use of government machinery and pro-government media bias left a blot on the election.

"Having conducted an independent and impartial observation of the elections, IDEAS and CPPS conclude that (the election) was only partially free and not fair," its report said.

Najib, who was sworn in Monday after his Barisan Nasional (National Front) coalition retained its 56-year hold on power, has dismissed the allegation.
On a related, but separate note, this New York Times article summarizes the situation well. The Malaysian government will not allow any findings contrary what benefits them.

http://rendezvous.blogs.nytimes.com/...s-was-elusive/

Quote:
HONG KONG — American presidents have built-in advantages when running for re-election. Corporations and other interest groups tend to give financially to their cause to stay in the good graces of the leadership. The president enjoys the bully pulpit that comes with being in the White House. Throw a healthy economy into the mix, and it’s an almost unbeatable combination.

Some of the same could be said halfway around the world in Malaysia, except the leadership there enjoys even more pronounced advantages that helped propel it to victory Sunday: control over an economy that is riding a wave of economic prosperity with a growth rate of over 5 percent last year, the government’s perceived influence over some of the most influential media outlets — and a willingness to act against those that don’t fall into line.

In the run-up to Sunday’s voting, there were numerous allegations that Web sites giving voice to the opposition were the victim of cyberattacks. According to the group Human Rights Watch, one online site that is critical of the government, Malaysiakini, could not be accessed from within Malaysia in the two weeks leading to the elections, or readers experienced significant slowdowns while accessing the site.

The group also said that at least three other sites — Radio Free Malaysia, Radio Free Sarawak and Sarawak Report — experienced what appeared to have been cyberattacks in which the sites were overwhelmed with traffic, curtailing access for nearly a week before the election.

There is no conclusive evidence that the government or its supporters were behind such disruptions, but the timing and targets naturally raise questions. As Human Rights Watch noted, Radio Free Sarawak and the Sarawak Report “frequently report on government corruption and criticize government policies affecting rural residents.” The group said the government was obligated to prevent such attacks from happening to assure free elections.

While Sunday’s election kept the governing National Front coalition in power, it was left with a weakened majority in Parliament. Since then, the opposition leader, Anwar Ibrahim, has said the elections were marred by fraud and that his coalition would challenge the results of some races, my colleague Joe Cochrane reports.

But the Malaysian authorities have been cracking down on members of the opposition who are raising such issues. As the Brisbane Times reports, the police this week arrested two bloggers, one of whom tweeted a claim that the police were protecting phantom voters in contested election districts.

“We will continue monitoring social media and we will not rest until those who circulate racial postings online are detained,” said Syed Ismail, the director of the Commercial Crime Investigation Department. “Anyone who tries to instill hate and compromise public safety will face the music.”

The government has reason to be defensive: the rise of social media in Malaysia was viewed as one of the primary reasons why the National Front and the incumbent prime minister, Najib Razak, have struggled to retain control over the country. The social media have allowed Malaysians access to news reporting outside government control and influence.

On Thursday, Western news outlets highlighted reports about a Wednesday night rally that drew tens of thousands to hear Mr. Anwar, the opposition leader, accuse the Malaysian government of having “stolen the election.” But on the Web site of the New Straits Times, Malaysia’s most influential newspaper and one viewed as regularly toeing the government line, the election stories that were highlighted were “Accept the People’s Verdict, Says Azmin,” “White House Congratulates Malaysia on Election” and “Call to Accept the Election Outcome.”
Thank you once again for your interest!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I have no idea, so just hear me out.

Can a run off election help and somehow get the UN run the election so it would be less corruption. There would still ways for voter fraud to take place, but if the UN is running the show it might be harder.

Again I don't know about these things, just making a suggestion.

Hugh
I think all Malaysians wish for that. But it is unlikely that anyone will help us as it might lead to souring relations with the ruling coalition.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedM View Post
I don't know how we could help.
As international awareness of our predicament grows, the ruling coalition will be under more pressure to address these 'allegations'. I hope that you can spread the word to others so that the Malaysian government will need to give more seats to the opposition and reduce their fraud in the next election, at the very least.
Old May 10, 2013, 08:21 AM   #14
ijohn.8.80
macrumors 65816

I'm glad this is actually getting attention around the world in mainstream media finally. I was appalled at how little was available after your first post when I went looking. Keep up the great work letting others know.
Old May 10, 2013, 08:48 AM   #15
caspersoong
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijohn.8.80 View Post
I'm glad this is actually getting attention around the world in mainstream media finally. I was appalled at how little was available after your first post when I went looking. Keep up the great work letting others know.
Thank you! I am glad that you care so much about the welfare of those in countries other than your own. I wish there were more people like you. I think that the Malaysian government is very smart as well. They set the timing of the election so that its aftermath would be overshadowed by the election in Pakistan, and the loss of internet connection in Syria.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Tags
democracy, election, malaysia, malaysian, rigged