Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 17, 2013, 02:50 PM   #1
garirry
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada
Help! iPod Touch 5G stuck in recovery mode

I decided to go downgrade from iOS 7 to iOS 6. While holding the shift key, I pressed 'Check for updates' on iTunes and it let me select the file. I selected the iOS 6.1.3 IPSW. After updating it was stuck in an recovery loop, no matter when I reset, it returns back to this mode. Back then, I used Redsn0w to apply a recovery fix to this iPod and usually it works. But now, it doesn't! It still goes back to recovery mode. At this point, all I want to do is backup my files and restore. How do I do that?
__________________
: iMac G3, iBook G3 Clamshell, iMac G4, iMac Late 2009, MacBook Early 2008 (white), iPod Touch 5G
garirry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:11 PM   #2
Zmanbaseball2
macrumors 68040
 
Zmanbaseball2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York, USA
Help! iPod Touch 5G stuck in recovery mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by garirry View Post
I decided to go downgrade from iOS 7 to iOS 6. While holding the shift key, I pressed 'Check for updates' on iTunes and it let me select the file. I selected the iOS 6.1.3 IPSW. After updating it was stuck in an recovery loop, no matter when I reset, it returns back to this mode. Back then, I used Redsn0w to apply a recovery fix to this iPod and usually it works. But now, it doesn't! It still goes back to recovery mode. At this point, all I want to do is backup my files and restore. How do I do that?
I did the same exact thing and scenario. You must DFU restore.
I hope you have stuff backed up.


Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
-iPhone 5 16GB Black; iPod Touch 5 32GB Blue; iPad Air 32GB Wifi White
-MacBook 2.2GHz i7 Mid 2014
Zmanbaseball2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 07:38 AM   #3
garirry
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmanbaseball2 View Post
I did the same exact thing and scenario. You must DFU restore.
I hope you have stuff backed up.


Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2
Well, I did have an older backup but iTunes did the worst thing that could happen, HE BACKED UP AN EMPTY IPOD OVER AN FULL IPOD. Luckily, I did an separate backup of all my camera pictures.

But I don't understand WHY couldn't I directly downgrade to iOS 6.
garirry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 08:12 AM   #4
Zmanbaseball2
macrumors 68040
 
Zmanbaseball2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by garirry View Post
Well, I did have an older backup but iTunes did the worst thing that could happen, HE BACKED UP AN EMPTY IPOD OVER AN FULL IPOD. Luckily, I did an separate backup of all my camera pictures.

But I don't understand WHY couldn't I directly downgrade to iOS 6.
IOS 7 backups/info are not compatible with iOS 6 info.


Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
-iPhone 5 16GB Black; iPod Touch 5 32GB Blue; iPad Air 32GB Wifi White
-MacBook 2.2GHz i7 Mid 2014
Zmanbaseball2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 01:22 PM   #5
blitzer09x87
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2013
this thread saved my ipod 5G's life, thanks guys. thought that i'd never be able to recover it.
blitzer09x87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 01:51 PM   #6
Zmanbaseball2
macrumors 68040
 
Zmanbaseball2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzer09x87 View Post
this thread saved my ipod 5G's life, thanks guys. thought that i'd never be able to recover it.
Your welcome!


Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
-iPhone 5 16GB Black; iPod Touch 5 32GB Blue; iPad Air 32GB Wifi White
-MacBook 2.2GHz i7 Mid 2014
Zmanbaseball2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 03:58 PM   #7
garirry
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzer09x87 View Post
this thread saved my ipod 5G's life, thanks guys. thought that i'd never be able to recover it.
How?
garirry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2014, 04:29 AM   #8
Macknna
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Just now I got error while updating my iPod touch to iOS 7, and it stucks in the DFU mode. But I found the solution after I installed TinyUmbrella.

1. Disconnect your touch from iTunes
2. Turn Off your ipod
3. Install TinyUmbrella (http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/)
4. Connect your phone again
5. Click "Exit Recovery" at the top right of TinyUmbrella apps.
6. Done.

Your ipod touch will restart then it returns to normal mode again. Hope it helps!
Macknna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2014, 09:00 AM   #9
garirry
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macknna View Post
Just now I got error while updating my iPod touch to iOS 7, and it stucks in the DFU mode. But I found the solution after I installed TinyUmbrella.

1. Disconnect your touch from iTunes
2. Turn Off your ipod
3. Install TinyUmbrella (http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/)
4. Connect your phone again
5. Click "Exit Recovery" at the top right of TinyUmbrella apps.
6. Done.

Your ipod touch will restart then it returns to normal mode again. Hope it helps!
Thanks, but do you realize that my topic is nearly one year old?
__________________
: iMac G3, iBook G3 Clamshell, iMac G4, iMac Late 2009, MacBook Early 2008 (white), iPod Touch 5G
garirry is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ipod touch 3g WILL NOT go into recovery mode MrRedPants iPod touch 6 Jan 23, 2014 10:46 PM
Help! iPod touch 3rd generation recovery mode issues alliebeat iPod touch 6 Jul 10, 2013 01:20 PM
ipod stuck in recovery mode ammara.ahmed iPod touch 1 Apr 13, 2013 11:33 AM
iPod Touch: Non-existent iPod touch recovery mode detected AnonMac50 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 0 Feb 12, 2013 04:21 PM
My iPod is stuck in recovery mode and won't restore kaylsdenton iPod touch 3 Dec 10, 2012 05:57 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:49 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC