Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 7, 2012, 04:39 AM   #1
lifeislikeme
macrumors newbie

WiFi from Single Device to iPhone. No Web. Real WiFi?

Hey, guys. Yesterday i came across an iPhone-controlled Spying tank online. According to their video instruction, it seems that the tank is able to make a WiFi hotspot, which can be detected by iPhone. When you access to the hotspot, your iPhone is connected to the tank. Then you enter an i-Spy toys App to remote control the tank and take photos (http://bit.ly/PD1Fsg). I wonder if that was real WiFi or something else. What's the difference between that "WiFi" and the WiFi made by wireless router? Waiting for a simple question, cause i'm not some geek.
lifeislikeme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 06:28 AM   #2
DefBref
macrumors 6502

Wifi is merely a way of connecting to a network without wires. It doesn't have to involve a connection to the web.

So yes this is 'real' wifi. The tank is creating a wifi network the iphone can join.
DefBref is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:48 AM   #3
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeislikeme View Post
I wonder if that was real WiFi or something else. What's the difference between that "WiFi" and the WiFi made by wireless router? Waiting for a simple question, cause i'm not some geek.
No difference. WiFi is WiFi. Not having a router in the mix doesn't make it "fake WiFi". A router (wired, wireless or both) is required for connecting two networks together. Some WiFi devices can connect in ad-hoc mode without an access point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefBref View Post
Wifi is merely a way of connecting to a network without wires. It doesn't have to involve a connection to the web.
^ This. Web access is a frequent use for WiFi but does not define WiFi. If in doubt, Google it and read up.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:32 AM   #4
Bobby.e
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeislikeme View Post
Hey, guys. Yesterday i came across an iPhone-controlled Spying tank online. According to their video instruction, it seems that the tank is able to make a WiFi hotspot, which can be detected by iPhone. When you access to the hotspot, your iPhone is connected to the tank. Then you enter an i-Spy toys App to remote control the tank and take photos (http://bit.ly/PD1Fsg). I wonder if that was real WiFi or something else. What's the difference between that "WiFi" and the WiFi made by wireless router? Waiting for a simple question, cause i'm not some geek.
You are using what's called ad-hoc wifi with a toy instead of infrastructure which is what a router uses. ad-hoc is device to device.
Bobby.e is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:03 PM   #5
lifeislikeme
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby.e View Post
You are using what's called ad-hoc wifi with a toy instead of infrastructure which is what a router uses. ad-hoc is device to device.
OK, i think you guys have made it clear for me. WiFi is networking. It can be networking from Word Wide Web to device, and from device to device as well. And from device to device, the wifi is ad-hoc WiFi, right?
lifeislikeme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:00 AM   #6
Bobby.e
macrumors 6502

Correct
Bobby.e is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone