Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ggoerl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
My friend just got a G5 2.5GHZ Liquid cooled, turns on fine, does the chime and sounds like it's booting up. Except those no video output. I can can confirm it's not the graphics card as I have swapped out it out with a working one from another g5. The only thing now is I get a red led on the motherboard only thing is I can't tell which one it is as it's seated behind the liquid cooling/radiator. It's on the lower half of the board so I would say it's level with lower 1st ram slot.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
My friend just got a G5 2.5GHZ Liquid cooled, turns on fine, does the chime and sounds like it's booting up. Except those no video output. I can can confirm it's not the graphics card as I have swapped out it out with a working one from another g5. The only thing now is I get a red led on the motherboard only thing is I can't tell which one it is as it's seated behind the liquid cooling/radiator. It's on the lower half of the board so I would say it's level with lower 1st ram slot.
Is there anything printed on the circuit board near it?

Also, are there any PCI expansion cards installed? What video card do you have? What version of OS X is installed?

Recently I had 10.5.8 failing miserably because of a PCI Ethernet card. Also had trouble trying to reinstall the system from a 10.5.2 disc when I had a flashed PC ATI FireGL X3 graphics card installed that required 10.5.8 drivers.

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
Is the door securely shut? Also, is the air deflector securely in place? G5's get kinda upset if you don't have the plastic deflector in the right spot...

ggoerl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
Is there anything printed on the circuit board near it?

Also, are there any PCI expansion cards installed? What video card do you have? What version of OS X is installed?

Recently I had 10.5.8 failing miserably because of a PCI Ethernet card. Also had trouble trying to reinstall the system from a 10.5.2 disc when I had a flashed PC ATI FireGL X3 graphics card installed that required 10.5.8 drivers.

Nope not that I could see nothing on the board, no extras installed. Honestly don't know about the card but they were both the same so it's very basic low end card. I know leopard is installed and it's up to date so I would assume 10.5.8 then.

Yes I know of the picky-ness of these machines the air deflector is secure and door secure shut. I have another g5 that I have problems with as well currently.

I have somewhat narrowed it down to 1 of 2 things, the logic board is bad or the processors need to be reseated.

Last edited:

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
Yeah, I now noticed that if you have Dual not Quad 2.5Ghz it is 2004 not 2005 model... but I still think that if that led is near the CPU it points to CPU problem, based on my Googling.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
If possible, simply try to re-seat all of the memory,and easy to access connections or cards linked to the motherboard.

I had a G5 2.0 shipped to me with a similar problem, I think it was caused by my Airport Extreme card not being fully seated, but I went ahead and unplugged, and re-connected everything else I could (outside of the processors) just to be sure.

ggoerl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
I've reseated everything possible, I actually have two g5's I'm struggling with right now. I've swapped ram between the two, swapped graphics cards, even checked the voltage on the pram battery. My last resort is to reseat and renew the thermal paste for the processors. But it looks like I'm about out of options. I had a feeling it might've been one of the cpu leds that was light.

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
I've reseated everything possible, I actually have two g5's I'm struggling with right now. I've swapped ram between the two, swapped graphics cards, even checked the voltage on the pram battery. My last resort is to reseat and renew the thermal paste for the processors. But it looks like I'm about out of options. I had a feeling it might've been one of the cpu leds that was light.

Have you done an SMC reset as well? (little grey button)

I know some of this stuff sounds obvious, but in my experience sometimes I've overlooked simple fixes like PRAM and the like, which could have saved me some time...

ggoerl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
yup, still to no avail. It's my friends computer so we might just put it up for sale for parts or repair at this point. As we don't have the proper tools to access the processor nor want to spend anymore time, effort and money in tools just to find out it might be something more serious ala logic board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.