Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
For limited use, one can do lots of mundane tasks with an iPad.

For computing? Not even close.

Strange. I know lots of people that do non-mundane computing with an iPad. They must be magical.

Or did you make up your own definition of "computing" that means "all the stuff you can't do on an iPad"?

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
No it wouldn't. Words have meanings for a reason.

You would be incorrect to call the iMac a laptop computer just because *you* might like to rest it on your lap whilst using it. You would be just as incorrect to call a Volvo station wagon a "muscle car" just because you think it's a total beast to drive.

The iPad is NOT a gaming rig in any sense of the word. Any assertion that it is is absolutely laughable.

----------

Arguing that a super nintendo emulator is a "solution" for gaming in the year 2012 is the height of ignorance.

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad you enjoy your little toy tablet. OP better find some better examples than a super nintendo emulator to back up his claim that the iPad is good for gaming.

As others have said, the ipad is simply a toy. It can't even begin to compete with laptops or desktops at this time.

no one said it was cutting edge gaming rig? it is a gaming rig to his tastes.. its a simple as that. Your analogies dont make any sense..

and please stop one uping your own posts :) seriously its sad.. i went a looked at your other posts.. and they all only have 1 vote.. on several threads.. bwahahahahah

idencustom

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
My 2 cents....

I'm currently on a flight (thanks to gogoair) from lga to atl. I left atl this morning at 8:30 Am... with only my cell phone and ipad. I've watched a movie and a half on my flights... emailed... read forums... use facebook, instagram and twitter.... as well as used the ipad for navigation in new york. It's midnight.... 14 hours later and I still have 28% battery left. Something that my macbook air can't provide for me. I'm using a logitech ultrathin keyboard... and have no problems at all today. My flight was delayed 6 hours (frigging laguardia) and i was able to facetime the wife and kid. My cell phone died around 7 pm... and that didn't matter.... I used google voice on the ipad to make my calls. I'm not a gamer... so I guess I can't speak to that.... I did play Madden 12 during my down time as well as Plague..... so maybe that counts? All I know is I really appreciate the ipad for what it does.... and the battery life, and will using it as my only travelling computer.

Now I think I'll finish Hunger Games.

Engali

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2012
My 2 cents....

I'm currently on a flight (thanks to gogoair) from lga to atl. I left atl this morning at 8:30 Am... with only my cell phone and ipad. I've watched a movie and a half on my flights... emailed... read forums... use facebook, instagram and twitter.... as well as used the ipad for navigation in new york. It's midnight.... 14 hours later and I still have 28% battery left. Something that my macbook air can't provide for me. I'm using a logitech ultrathin keyboard... and have no problems at all today. My flight was delayed 6 hours (frigging laguardia) and i was able to facetime the wife and kid. My cell phone died around 7 pm... and that didn't matter.... I used google voice on the ipad to make my calls. I'm not a gamer... so I guess I can't speak to that.... I did play Madden 12 during my down time as well as Plague..... so maybe that counts? All I know is I really appreciate the ipad for what it does.... and the battery life, and will using it as my only travelling computer.

Now I think I'll finish Hunger Games.

This.

I had a similar experience on my flights and to Kong Kong and back to Boston last week. My mom and I used the iPad pretty heavily between the two of us and we still had over 40% when we landed each time.

It's just good to know that the iPad can handle this sort of use. Again, for the truly mobile traveller, battery life can NOT be underestimated as a factor. Extra functionality means nothing when the juice runs out.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
As others have said, the ipad is simply a toy. It can't even begin to compete with laptops or desktops at this time.

Well, no, it's really not. Properly, the iPad is a tool. It has it's place.

Now, I will freely say that I couldn't have the iPad be my only computer. Not really. But that's because I do some things that take some pretty heavy lifting. Design work, and all that. While there are apps that can do some of the stuff that I sometimes turn to my MBP for, they just don't compare in capability to the full Mac OS counterparts.

With regards to the question of "gaming rig" comparison, to dismiss the iPad as being so woefully under powered seems to sell it short, I'd think. Consider that, from a benchmark standpoint, the iPad is on a par with computers from five years ago, or so. Now, that said, I'll grant that the games and peripherals aren't there, so much, for the iPad. But simply on a computing power ground, it could be argued to be on a oar with older "gaming rigs", or wouldn't you consider them to be "gaming rigs" anymore?

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
What I've noticed is that people who can use the iPad as their only computer because their needs are modest aren't compelled to tell peopel who can't that they're wrong, but people who need full computers are compelled to claim that the ipad is a toy and could never be used as an only computer despite ancedotal evidence to the contrary.

If you can use it, good for you. If you can't here is your cookie.

beergut

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2012
This is exactly it.

In UG school, I used a $300 Acer laptop which was almost wore out once school was over with. I wiped it clean and practically donated it to a high school student.

This past Christmas my wife purchased me an iPad. When I started Grad school, I thought I would give using my iPad as a sole device a chance. It has proven to be ok with a blue tooth keyboard but it just isn't practical. Actually, writing a paper was horrible for the reasons described above. (multi-tasking, copy/paste, and no mouse)

It's great if I want to read something via an app or review a document or web site but a MBA is in the near future for me.

rMBA ordered

Skytouch

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
The short of it is that if someone uses their computer solely as a consumer of content, then an iPad can replace a computer. Without a doubt. If one uses their computer for work -- content creation -- then there may be some snags.

That has been my experience. Light content creation and publishing are possible, e.g. mobile newsroom. I manage multiple websites using the iPad Wordpress app, and regularly do image production just on the iPad.

The iPad is also my main device for communication, whether Skype, email, forums or other.

I do use a computer for occasional data management and backups, and in a work environment for professional media production. But for personal use the iPad has everything pretty well covered.

----------

This.

I had a similar experience on my flights and to Kong Kong and back to Boston last week. My mom and I used the iPad pretty heavily between the two of us and we still had over 40% when we landed each time.

It's just good to know that the iPad can handle this sort of use. Again, for the truly mobile traveller, battery life can NOT be underestimated as a factor. Extra functionality means nothing when the juice runs out.

Not to mention trying to wrangle a clamshell laptop design in coach. :)

----------

The 11" MacBook Air would be a perfect compromise in that case. It's small and light like the iPad but having OSX over iOS is in itself worth it. I'm typing on an MBA now. I was using my dad's iPad the other day and found typing on it really hurt my arm. I don't have that problem with the MBA or MBP. I guess I'm "old school" - I prefer keyboard and mouse and desktop OSes with proper software, not "apps". Does the iPad even do multitasking or do all apps run in a sandbox environment?

It's funny, I would have a hard time giving up my touch screen, even for a physical keyboard / mouse. For me, a future Mac OS tablet in an iPad form factor with Thunderbolt and optional Bluetooth keyboard / mouse would be ideal. This of course assumes that Apple's migration toward a fully touch-enabled Mac OS continues.

Sky

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I don't use my computer at home for work so I could easily use the Ipad as my main use. Some things would be harder.

Least now I won't need to plug my ipad into itunes as I can use it without the use of my computer.

Skytouch

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012

Compete? Perhaps not. Compliment or replace? For some, yes, absolutely.

I think Big.Mac.Daddy summarizes this well in consolidating his rig to a Desktop, iPad and iPhone. He currently has no need for a laptop, as his intended usage of the iPad appears to be well integrated within his entire technology suite.

I've gone a similar route in removing communications and media consumption workflows from the production desktop, which consequently is now optimized for its intended use - production. If I were to retire from production and sell the desktop, the iPad on its own would continue to serve my needs nearly without a hitch.

Regarding your gaming comment, I consider the gaming PC to be a highly specialized box just like a desktop configured for professional media production. A serious gamer knows that neither a tablet nor a vanilla PC can drive a big-screen, surround-sound, real-time, multiplayer gaming experience. Nor should it.

Conversely, iPhones have proven to be heavyweights in emerging citizen journalism, to the extent they have driven meaningful social change.

Tools are only toys when not properly matched to the task imho.

Disclaimer: This comment was written, edited and published on an iPad. :)

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Yep i have gone from a hp laptop to an ipad 4 and will never go back. The ipad is better than my computer in every way, its more powerful as well xD. I use photoshop, imovie, iphoto, pages and garageband and they are all great. 10 hours + battery life i get with my ultra thin keyboard.

Skytouch

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
No way iPad can replace an actual computer.

I might have agreed with you before my family moved and stored our computers for nearly six months. We used an iPad for all our computing needs - no MS Office, no scanner, no printer, docusigning on the touch screen. This included real estate, legal and financial tasks for starters, in addition to all our email and Internet browsing. No desktop. No laptop. The iPad worked brilliantly.

I still use a desktop for media production, but for every person like me who produces content, there are perhaps dozens who consume content and have no need for a traditional workstation.

Last edited:

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I might have agreed with you before my family moved and stored our computers for nearly six months. We used an iPad for all our computing needs - no MS Office, no scanner, no printer, docusigning on the touch screen. This included real estate, legal and financial tasks for starters, in addition to all our email and Internet browsing. No desktop. No laptop. The iPad worked brilliantly.

I still use a desktop for media production, but for every person like me who produces content, there are perhaps dozens who consume content and have no need for a traditional workstation.

I'm sure in specific and unique circumstances, it works but generally...

For productivity, PCs can multitask a lot better, writing a research paper, writing an article, photo editing, playing games, etc.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I'm sure in specific and unique circumstances, it works but generally...

For productivity, PCs can multitask a lot better, writing a research paper, writing an article, photo editing, playing games, etc.

Not to mention the 2 monitor setup making multitasking a breeze and the countless keyboard/mouse shortcuts that can be used to get the most common tasks done.

As such highlighting text and pressing control + c is a breeze on the computer, on touch screens highlighting text is a real pain in the bum bum.

If I had to choose between the two devices I would definitely rather have a full fledged computer, cheaper, faster and much more space to work with.

That being said I do use my tablet more than my PC but when it's time to get things done and done fast I wouldn't use a tablet as my first choice. Tablets are fun toys but file management, photo manipulation (precision), video editing, word processing, spreadsheets, etc. I would jump on a computer in a heartbeat rather than a tablet.

To say using an iPad to replace a computer is easy depends solely on the users needs. For basic web browsing, media use and games the tablet may be a suitable replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.