Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ariel222

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Hi Guys,

So I'm about at my wits end. I have previously done a jailbreak/unlock on an iphone 3g running 4.2.1 (upgraded the baseband to 6.15.00) worked great...of course no GPS but other than that worked great.

FF to my new (used) iPhone 3gs. I bought the phone with 5.0.1 firmware loaded. On the 3gs, I used redsn0w to hacktivate, install cydia, and install ipad baseband. In retrospect, I wish I would NOT have updated the baseband, but it is what it is. I plug in my Tmobile SIM...sometimes it says it has service and sometimes it says "no service" when it does say it has service the cellular data works fine (though it's edge...again I'm willing to compromise). The phone cannot receive calls but seems to make outgoing ok (when there is service). After a couple hours of having service it will just sort of turn off and then seems to be gone forever.

So the question is...I either would like to just restore 5.0.1 unjailbroke, locked and with whatever unlockable BB comes with 5.0.1...or possibly just get it working on 6.15.00. Is restoring to 5.0.1 with whatever BB that comes with 5.0.1 possible? I've restored from apple a couple times but the BB remains at 06.15.00.

I've also tried to just install firmware 4.1.2 on the 3gs...with no luck. It was in pwned DFU mode at the time. I am running on osX...does this stuff work better in Windows because if I need to I can go that route too.

I even purchased an AT&T sim card..thinking maybe I'd go with their go phone plan...but for some reason their system won't activate the SIM. I have a regular AT&T sim is not specifically a "go phone" sim...I could buy a cheap go phone if needed...but I'm not buying that that's the issue.

Any ideas would be HUGELY appreciate.

Redward

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
I had a similar problem with my 3gs after the iOS 6.0 upgrade. Whenever I select 3G, the reception drops out and eventually I get a "no service" indication. I tried everything, including the jailbreak and IPad baseband thingy. I still have no 3G and my phone is now quite unstable. I remain unconvinced the problem is hardware -- timing is too coincidental.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
You can downgrade the ipad 06.15.0 to the 05.13.04 BB
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=22653

It's the only way to downgrade the BB on the 3GS

If the phone is AT&T locked it should than accept any AT&T SIM

I would than restore it to 5.01 while preserving the 05.13.04 BB
You can use latest redsn0w for that
go to Extras/even more/restore
select downloaded 5.0.1 (or 5.1.1) IPSW select the blobs and follow instruction for preserving BB.

In the end you should have a 3GS on 5.0.1 on 05.13.04 (reason for that BB is that it is unlockable with ultrasn0w)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.