Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
.. Apparently the combination of forgetting networks, clearing keychain entries, AND power-cycling both the router and the repeater did the trick. For now. :cool:

Pbhd

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2012
Possible Solution

I had to turn off my blue tooth on my phone and computer. I also went into the network preferences and deleted the network I was trying to connect to and then had the computer search for it again. It is now working again.

(For some reason, I have had problems with the blue tooth connecting to wireless headsets. I haven't had the chance to research that yet.)

PaddyLock

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2012
Wifi connection FIXED!

Hi, I had a similar problem as the original post of this thread. The solution which I found, and was the only one that worked for me is to follow these steps:

firstly remove the wifi connection from your list: Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Network -> Wi-Fi -> Advanced highlight your wifi connection and click minus symbol.

then type the ip address for your router in a browser and THIS IS THE IMPORTANT BIT, Change the name of your Wi-Fi connection.

Then follow the first step above and add a new Wi-Fi connection using the new name.

Then you can connect to Wi-Fi again, happy days!

Hope this helps someone else out.

Patrick

kkhair

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2011
A solution

Hi all;
I had the same problem, and I was able to fix it following these steps:

1- remove the Wifi network from your preferred networks, System Preferences ->Network->Wi-Fi->advanced.

2- Click OK to return to the network window.

3- click the Assist me ... button.

4- follow the instructions.

These steps always worked for me whenever my Macbook pro stops connecting to one of my networks.

Hope it helps ..
Khaled

philwhln

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
I just removed the network for the Preferred network list (Sys Pref->Network->Wifi->advanced ->wifi) , then added it manually (with the + sign under the list) with a wrong password and tried to connect, the password window showed up and when I entered the correct password, it worked perfectly, hope this helps

This worked for me after I changed the password on the router. I had to add it manually to Mac Network Settings. Phew!

fattakin

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2010
I've been plagued with this since i bought my mid 2010 MBP.

Ive tried everything above at it always comes back.

delete keychains
rename router
change router security & channel
setup new locations
use manual ip's
3 different brand routers included 1st gen timecapsule
Snow Leopard & Lion.

So after trying top call apple, they wanted £35 to even speak to me on the phone I decided to buy a used wifi card off ebay and went for an 8gb ram upgrade too. (Kingston)

The wifi card hasnt arrived yet but i upgraded the ram last week.

Guess what, its been a week and the wifi hasnt dropped and has connected from sleep every time!!! To say im puzzled is an understatement. Im too afraid to boot into Lion to check so am staying on SL and not changing a thing. Its so refreshing to lit the lid and the b*stard actually connects .. or not have etehrnet cables across the living room.. or being able to leave the house and not have my wife phoning saying the wifi is down again. Windows devices & iphone4/galaxy s2 never had any issues this whole time.

nicolebinn

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2012
Fixed!

I had the same problem with my mac, where out of the blue I could not connect to my wifi, always typing in my password and receiving "connection timeout".

I tried just about everything, and then finally realized the only way to truly fix the problem is fix the source.

I unplugged router and all of the connections, and then I shut down my computer for a few minutes.

When I turned it back on, wah-lah, the internet magically is already connected with no password even asked.

hancock

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
I am having a similar problem to most of you, however, I cannot change the router settings because my MBA only displays a connection timeout at work. I connect to my works' guest wifi network with my laptop because the xp computers here are awful. For the first two weeks my laptop connected with no problem, then earlier this week it stopped being able to connect to the network. It displays a connection timeout immediately every time I try to connect. I have tried deleting my preferences and creating a custom location. My iPad and iPhone connect to the network without any problem. I even tried copying the tcp/ip information from my iPad but the problem persists. One final note, in order to connect to this network you must accept terms on a redirect page. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, this problem has proven overwhelming so far.

HAE

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2012
I just removed the network for the Preferred network list (Sys Pref->Network->Wifi->advanced ->wifi) , then added it manually (with the + sign under the list) with a wrong password and tried to connect, the password window showed up and when I entered the correct password, it worked perfectly, hope this helps

i made this account just to say THANKKK YOUUUUUUU OMMGG !!!! I spent all night yesterday and this morning to fix it and this worked !!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOUUU!! Freaking life saver !!! :p:p:p:p

sparky9999

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2012
Connection timeout problem fixed

Okay, nothing anyone else suggested worked for me. What did was to use Keychain Access to delete the keychain entry, then create a new keychain entry and MANUALLY enter the wifi password for the router.

I gather that other solutions worked for other people, but none of those worked for me. This did.

n4wbie

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2011
My connection timeout and can't cannot to my rounter.

recently i found out a solution it does work for my mba 2011 mid.

1 : delete all ur network key
2 : do not remember your network
3 : the troublesome things is to everytime u have to manually key in password to connect to your router
4 : sometimes there will have connection timeout. u try again and again it still will show u connection timeout. so whenever u saw connection timeout click on okay and then just close ur lid and open it again . try to connect again . it works for me .
everytime i have to open and close my lid 2 to 3 times then it works.

hope this help u guys.

CIU

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2012
My solution

I had the same problem and just solved by going into Keychain Access and deleting the key for the network, then deleting the network from Network Preferences, turning WiFi off and on and joining again. It did the trick for now...:)

tom.brekke

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
same problem, resetting the keychain worked.

The problem for many of you is likely a corrupt entry in your keychain. To fix this, open up "Keychain Access" (in "Applications/Utilities") and search for the entry which matchs the name of your wifi network. Then, select all the matching entries (there were two in my case) and delete them.

See this discussion for more details: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3244298

Just to throw in my two cents: I run Lion and I was having the same problem ("Could not join <name>, a connection timeout occurred"). The only problem was that it was the university's wifi so I don't have access to the router to play with it's settings (which also means that it was probably a problem with my computer as no one else was complaining about the wifi on campus) the above worked like a charm. Thanks!

sbb1909

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
Real solution?

Hi all,

All the options I found so far were... working for a while... but not the solution.

It seems that Lion and ML does basically change the Kext (driver) of our wifi card...
so to put it back here is the solution I used and that is working.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Iy5lRgVjYM

enjoy and let me know if it works

dra3b

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
Hi, I had a similar problem as the original post of this thread. The solution which I found, and was the only one that worked for me is to follow these steps:

firstly remove the wifi connection from your list: Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Network -> Wi-Fi -> Advanced highlight your wifi connection and click minus symbol.

then type the ip address for your router in a browser and THIS IS THE IMPORTANT BIT, Change the name of your Wi-Fi connection.

Then follow the first step above and add a new Wi-Fi connection using the new name.

Then you can connect to Wi-Fi again, happy days!

Hope this helps someone else out.

Patrick

THIS WORKED ... I had the original problem "Connection timed out" ... and this ACTUALLY WORKED :D

domkane

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2009
Personally, my fix each time has been to access the router admin from a connected device (192.168.0.1) and then change the "Mode" from "54g Auto" to either "54g Performance" or "802.11b Only".

Doesn't seem to matter which one I change from/to, but each time I do that, my Mac connects easily.

ima-zfan

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
Lion Wifi Connection Timeout.

After a very frustrating 48 hours trying to overcome the "Connection timeout." failure to connect to our network, and a fruitless visit to the local Apple Store, I have finally fixed our problem by re-setting the Airport Extreme. I followed the online instructions (accessed via our Mobile Broadband that we use when travelling) and unplugged the power, pushed a paper clip into the re-set button, and held it down while the power was reconnected and the light started flashing. I don't know whether the fix will last, but all four of our Macs are now back on line via the network.

Hope this will help someone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.