Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alecmcmahon

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2007
Woodbridge, NJ
Got my 27
" imac today, while awesome. the screen is gianormous! It'd be suit me if I could get it back a few more inches from my eyes.

Is anybody making wall mounts/brackets for the new line of imacs yet?

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
there is a mount that attaches to the hole of the imac stand. this in turn can be used to mount on an arm. However you still have the "foot" of the mac hanging there.

As far as i know the foot of the 2012 imacs do not come off. i read a thread where people had tried the credit card trick and its not mounted the same way as previous models. Hinting that it may require you to open your imac and take it apart to remove the foot.

I dont have a link for the mount that uses the imac foot hole but i believe there is another thread somewhere that has it. Or better still maybe someone book marked it and can post the link. That as far as i know is the only option.

Last edited:

chuckiehina

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2007
there is a mount that attaches to the hole of the imac stand. this in turn can be used to mount on an arm. However you still have the "foot" of the mac hanging there.

As far as i know the foot of the 2012 imacs do not come off. i read a thread where people had tried the credit card trick and its not mounted the same way as previous models. Hinting that it may require you to open your imac and take it apart to remove the foot.

Well, that is either:
  • An excuse to get out the Dremel
  • A feature - Look a wall mount AND a shelf for an external drive.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
Well, that is either:
  • An excuse to get out the Dremel
  • A feature - Look a wall mount AND a shelf for an external drive.

A wall mount installed using the stand wouldnt look nearly as clean or slick with the "shelf" / foot there. This is indeed a matter of opinion of course.

Arman

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
SoCal
I think if someone could create a mount using the 2012 iMac could make it look nice if somehow they incorporated a wider shelf system in the foot of the iMac, preferably with the same material but even something that would fit like a sleeve along/over the foot could give it a more balanced look. As it stands, the small foot is too narrow and out of sync with the large iMac display in a hanging configuration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.