Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:39 PM   #1
wndzr
macrumors newbie

Install Windows without Drive

I have a new iMac 27" but I do not have an external drive in order to install Windows from a disc - is it still possible to install Windows on a partition on the new iMac without the drive?

I have a copy of Windows saved as an image on my desktop.

Any help much appreciated.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:00 PM   #2
ljonesj
macrumors 6502a

if you have a windows 7 disk there is a way but i dont how to go about getting it work to make a usb windows 7 you image may be able to work with the boot camp that can make a windows 7 usb boot bot sure thou

if you have another mac or pc lying around that has optical you can try boot camp on the other mac
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:04 PM   #3
Dweez
macrumors 6502a

A copy of windows saved on your desktop - is it an ISO of the windows distro media or a copy of your windows installation?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:09 PM   #4
AndiS.
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wndzr View Post
I have a new iMac 27" but I do not have an external drive in order to install Windows from a disc - is it still possible to install Windows on a partition on the new iMac without the drive?

I have a copy of Windows saved as an image on my desktop.

Any help much appreciated.
Yes, if its an iso image just start bootcamp and plug in a USB drive. The program will guide you through the rest, it's fairly easy.
AndiS. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:42 AM   #5
wndzr
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses so far. I don't think I made it too clear what my issue is.

I do now own a SuperDrive or any external drive - instead I have an ISO file with my copy of Windows. Am I naive in thinking that a program like VM Ware would be able to help with this?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:05 AM   #6
seanm9
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiS. View Post
Yes, if its an iso image just start bootcamp and plug in a USB drive. The program will guide you through the rest, it's fairly easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wndzr View Post
Thanks for the responses so far. I don't think I made it too clear what my issue is.

I do now own a SuperDrive or any external drive - instead I have an ISO file with my copy of Windows. Am I naive in thinking that a program like VM Ware would be able to help with this?
go buy an 8 GB USB flash drive keychain (about 5 dollars) that is the USB drive AndiS is telling you to use... if you have one you are all set... if not 8GB for $5 should be enough...
seanm9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:07 AM   #7
wndzr
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanm9 View Post
go buy an 8 GB USB keychain (about 5 dollars) that is the USB drive AndiS is telling you to use... if you have one you are all set... if not 8GB for $5 should be enough...
Right - this makes a lot more sense once I'd read it again! Thank you everybody.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac