Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:10 AM   #1
Justindelta
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Mac Mini 2012 i5 or i7

Hi

I was wondering which Mac Mini I should get.
What I'm doing is mostly: Gaming, web-browsing, watching video's on Youtube and more things.
I know that Macs aren't made for gaming but I got a Windows computer for that If I want to play one of my Windows games.
The reason why I want to have a Mac is, because I want to know the experience of its Operating System and more.
But my problem is, which one do I need to choose for processor, the i5 or the i7.

Already thanks for your help.
Sincerely
Justindelta

I hope this is at the right thread section to post this.
Justindelta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:38 AM   #2
foofan
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New England
If money isnt a issue, get the best you can get. Also take into consideration the cost of maxing out the ram from another retailer. that would cost you about another $100.

Macs have no problems with gaming. I've been playing world of warcraft on macs for years with no problems.
foofan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:47 AM   #3
manual123
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bellevue NE
This is a question I had to deal with first hand. I later decided on the i5 and havent had any problems. I dont play nay games on it but routinely do heavy multitasking with iMovie, Parallels, telescope control software, heavy photo alignment software.


The only game i play on the regular is FFXI on max settings and its no lag.
__________________
"late 2011 17 MBP, 2.4 GHz, 12 GB RAM;iPhone 5;OG iPad 16GB and many more over the last 20 years."
manual123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:55 AM   #4
LaunchpadBS
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: iLondon/iDurban
i7, for future proofing
__________________
Mac Mini i7 2012 - 13" MBP 2012 - iPhone 5 - iPod Shuffle - iPad Air - iPod Classic - ATV 2
LaunchpadBS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:58 AM   #5
manual123
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bellevue NE
If you can afford it, i concurr . i7 baby! but nothings wrong with i5
__________________
"late 2011 17 MBP, 2.4 GHz, 12 GB RAM;iPhone 5;OG iPad 16GB and many more over the last 20 years."
manual123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:58 AM   #6
Justindelta
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by foofan View Post
If money isnt a issue, get the best you can get. Also take into consideration the cost of maxing out the ram from another retailer. that would cost you about another $100.

Macs have no problems with gaming. I've been playing world of warcraft on macs for years with no problems.
Money is quietly a little issue, so I think I got to choose the i5 but I also want to have Windows on it but then on bootcamp or else on a virtual machine, I hope that isn't a problem on a i5 Mac Mini.
Justindelta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:03 AM   #7
manual123
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bellevue NE
I use both Bootcamp and Parallels. No problem. Runs great with win 7 pro on both .
__________________
"late 2011 17 MBP, 2.4 GHz, 12 GB RAM;iPhone 5;OG iPad 16GB and many more over the last 20 years."
manual123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:08 AM   #8
Justindelta
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by manual123 View Post
I use both Bootcamp and Parallels. No problem. Runs great with win 7 pro on both .
Hmm, I guess I will go for the i5 then.
I have readed on some threads that when you take the i5, it will not live for long ?
Because I don't want to buy a computer every single year.
Justindelta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:12 AM   #9
manual123
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bellevue NE
depends heavily on what you plan to use it for and how much future heavy programs you tend to use. My mini has 8gb of ram and performs quite well. I can see if having much of a problem for the futher as my OG Mac Pro still runs great on its 7 year old cpu.
__________________
"late 2011 17 MBP, 2.4 GHz, 12 GB RAM;iPhone 5;OG iPad 16GB and many more over the last 20 years."
manual123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:27 AM   #10
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindelta View Post
Hmm, I guess I will go for the i5 then.
I have readed on some threads that when you take the i5, it will not live for long ?
Because I don't want to buy a computer every single year.
It isn't that the i5 won't "live long", it's that may people feel that dual core processors are going away and quad core is the future. In many respects that is true. However, if money is an issue go with the i5. I bought the dual core i5 in 2011 (base) and turned around and sold it after the 2012's came out and only gave up about $100-150 total. My point is, buy the i5. It'll do everything you need it to. Especially since you've never played with a Mac, you probably should "start out small" and decide if you like it. If in a couple of years you decide you love OSX and want to go "bigger" then sell the Mini. You'll probably still get $400 or so out of it. Just my .02 worth.
__________________
MBP 8,2 15" 2.2Ghz w/ 120GB SSD + 500GB
MBA 6,2 13" 1.7Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
Mac Mini 6,2 2.3ghz w/ 240GB SSD + 1TB
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:35 AM   #11
Justindelta
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrbeers View Post
It isn't that the i5 won't "live long", it's that may people feel that dual core processors are going away and quad core is the future. In many respects that is true. However, if money is an issue go with the i5. I bought the dual core i5 in 2011 (base) and turned around and sold it after the 2012's came out and only gave up about $100-150 total. My point is, buy the i5. It'll do everything you need it to. Especially since you've never played with a Mac, you probably should "start out small" and decide if you like it. If in a couple of years you decide you love OSX and want to go "bigger" then sell the Mini. You'll probably still get $400 or so out of it. Just my .02 worth.
Looks like a great plan.
Thanks for that information.
Soon if possible, Ill buy the Mac Mini i5.
I don't really do much heavy things like video editing and kinda that stuff.
Justindelta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:39 AM   #12
manual123
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bellevue NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrbeers View Post
It isn't that the i5 won't "live long", it's that may people feel that dual core processors are going away and quad core is the future. In many respects that is true. However, if money is an issue go with the i5. I bought the dual core i5 in 2011 (base) and turned around and sold it after the 2012's came out and only gave up about $100-150 total. My point is, buy the i5. It'll do everything you need it to. Especially since you've never played with a Mac, you probably should "start out small" and decide if you like it. If in a couple of years you decide you love OSX and want to go "bigger" then sell the Mini. You'll probably still get $400 or so out of it. Just my .02 worth.
For what it's worth...I agree
__________________
"late 2011 17 MBP, 2.4 GHz, 12 GB RAM;iPhone 5;OG iPad 16GB and many more over the last 20 years."
manual123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC