Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spidersam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
Hi All

I have a macbook pro bought in 2010 details below..

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache 3 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP71.0039.B0B

Running Version OSX 10.6.8

I recently bought G.Skill SO-DIMM F3-10666CL9D-16GBSQ (2 x 8GB)

When I put them in to upgrade the ram, it hangs on the white screen and I've no idea why, ive read that Core2Duo is not sandy bridge or something like that, and that my macbook should support this upgrade.

I can't think what im doing wrong, any ideas greatly appreciated!

I5acc

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
I got the same mac model i7 one and support only 8 gb of ram maximum... So read the model specification before upgrade

spidersam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
I would like to think it would handle 16gb so ill keep on trying.
but have not come across a reason why it cannot handle 16gb.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Hi All

L2 Cache 3 MB

When I put them in to upgrade the ram, it hangs on the white screen and I've no idea why, ive read that Core2Duo is not sandy bridge or something like that, and that my macbook should support this upgrade.

Your macbook pro does not support 16GB ram, that's why it won't boot.

----------

I would like to think it would handle 16gb so ill keep on trying.
but have not come across a reason why it cannot handle 16gb.

Because the chipset has not been designed to handle that much RAM. You're running a late Penryn(last iteration of the mobile Core 2 Duo) chip that could accept only up to 8GB. MBP's using sandy bridge(early 2011, or MBP 8,x models) or later processors can and will accept up to 32GB of RAM. It's pure hardware limitation, period.

You can insist on trying again, but whatever you attempt will not make this hardware limitation go away. Return the RAM and call it a day.

spidersam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
Thanks for explaining :)

If this next passage sounds ridiculous, thats probably down to my lack of chipset knowledge

ram aside, is it feasible to upgrade the chipset in a 2010 macbook pro to handle 16 or even 32GB ram rather than paying for whole new macbook pro

i want to supe this macbook to its limits without forking out for a whole new one. :)

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009

If this next passage sounds ridiculous, thats probably down to my lack of chipset knowledge

ram aside, is it feasible to upgrade the chipset in a 2010 macbook pro to handle 16 or even 32GB ram rather than paying for whole new macbook pro

i want to supe this macbook to its limits without forking out for a whole new one. :)

Not feasible.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Hi All

L2 Cache 3 MB

I have the same model but with the 2.26 Core 2 Duo, the motherboard can only accept a total of 8GB.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
If you want a noticeable improvement in speed, install a SSD. It is the single best upgrade you can do on your MBP.

Indeed. 8GB of RAM then an SSD is the ultimate upgrade for that generation. That said, does this iteration support Sata 3 (6.0 Gbs)?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Indeed. 8GB of RAM then an SSD is the ultimate upgrade for that generation. That said, does this iteration support Sata 3 (6.0 Gbs)?

No, the 2011 models were the first to support SATA III. That being said, the Samsung 830/840 drives are still a good option, as is the Crucial M4(I've got one in my mid-2009). Newegg has some OCZ drives on sale today if you're a gamblin' man, but I'd stay away from OCZ personally.

----------

I've found that 1333MHz RAM will also work in these older models. I've got some Corsair in mine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0000414&IsNodeId=1&name=DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

No.

In about 99% of all laptops out there, everything is soldered straight onto the logic board. If you want to upgrade, you'd need to upgrade the whole thing, which would likely cost youmore than selling your mac and buying a new one.

If you've cracked open a Macbook Pro, you've seen this for yourself.

bluespaceoddity

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC

Get a nice SSD if you haven't already. That's really as far you can go.

Anything else, you're far better offering buying a newer model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.