Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Beamdog earns more from a sale on their store. I'm getting the App store version though, as I like to keep my software in as few places as possible. I'm not getting a download manager for one single game.

Would be nice if we had the option to buy these games as direct purchases WITHOUT requiring the necessary gateway-store software (e.g. EA Origins Store, Steam, Beamdog, GameAgent, etc).

Reminds me of credit cards. You shop at Target, they want you to apply for their credit card. You shop at Sears, they prefer you to use their credit card. You shop at so-and-so, they ask you to apply and use THEIR credit card. Pretty soon, the average American ends up with 17 credit cards, each for places that they only visit once a year! :eek: Umm, what's wrong with the single universal credit card (MasterCard) that I already have?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Would be nice if we had the option to buy these games as direct purchases WITHOUT requiring the necessary gateway-store software (e.g. EA Origins Store, Steam, Beamdog, GameAgent, etc).

You don't need the Beamdog client for this game--it doesn't even exist for the Mac. There's just a launcher that downloads the game and keeps it up to date, just like Blizzard games. You don't even need to run it every time to play.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
How does this play on a early 13' 3.0 i7 13" rMBP? I'm debating buying it, just curious if anyone has tried and what the results were.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
How does this play on a early 13' 3.0 i7 13" rMBP? I'm debating buying it, just curious if anyone has tried and what the results were.

your machine is a complete overkill and will run the game no problems... I think any Intel Mac in existence can run this game fine.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
You don't need the Beamdog client for this game--it doesn't even exist for the Mac. There's just a launcher that downloads the game and keeps it up to date, just like Blizzard games. You don't even need to run it every time to play.

This is correct. It's a DMG that launches a self installer. It's only for this one game, not any kind of "gateway" or "store".

It's on the Mac App Store now. I assume you don't have a problem getting it from there.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition/id568196938?mt=12

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
After all those months of waiting and reading @TrentOster tweets informing how he tirelessly fixes hundreds of bugs, I finally sat down to enjoy BG:EE on my Mac.

The quest involving Firebead's Scroll, which is like second in the line...bugged.

I have managed to find a workaround here, but after visiting the support forum I feel we are in for a much longer time before it's the Baldur's Gate again.

I am aware that Baldur's Gate had to be changed to be universally playable on both iOS and OS X, but I still find some of the touches rather hard to swallow and I'd welcome more settings in the OS X version. Like disabling the thick colour specific bases or making NPCs make sound when clicked.

I think I am going to do this for the time being.:)

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Isn't it weird that BG:EE is still not featured in the Mac App Store?

It's even the 7th top grossing game in the UK store...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.