Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Mar 28, 2013, 09:45 AM   #26
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Cell coverage varies widely based on location. You might want to check with friends in the area and see what they say about each carrier.

I have at&t and am satisfied with their service.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:36 AM   #27
Knockworstface
macrumors regular

I've been with AT&T since 1999 back when they were Cellular One and then they became Cingular. When the iPhone 5s is released, more than likely I will move to T-Mobile.
Knockworstface is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:52 AM   #28
err404
macrumors 68000

Even if you stay on AT&T you need to change your plan. I have two iPhones with unlimited voice and txting with 4gb shared data for under $150 per month (that includes $14 FAN discount).
It sounds like you should be able to shave about $100 off of your bill each month.
err404 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:32 PM   #29
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

I can't even believe these arguments keep flying (and starting anew). For the budget minded, there are a number of choices that are not the big 4 companies. Many of these use the same network as the big 4 but offer prices at about 40%-60% of the costs. If you are budget-minded, the dominant issue is cost: cost of the phone plus cost of service over time. OP seems intrigued by the Tmobile option for cost of service.

Many of you are answering a question of which network is better (irregardless of cost). OP didn't say that money was no object; he's looking for a better deal.

OP, the one good bit of advice you've got so far is to be sure the network is solid in the area where you are moving. Once you identify the best network, look for a way to use it without paying the maximum toll. If it turns out that AT&T is the best network, consider StraightTalk or Net10 running on the AT&T network. It gets you all the benefits pitched by these "money is no object" guys on the "best" network for the area at about half the cost of AT&T.

For example, we just went with iPhone 5 and Net10 running on AT&T. We get every AT&T benefit except visual voice mail (which is no big loss to us). Cost for "unlimited*" talk, text, data: $45 per month. Net10 defines "unlimited" data on AT&T with a hard cap of 1.5GB per month but that's no problem given we are almost always around wifi. A second line can be added with unlimited everything for $40 more per month. That's $85/month for unlimited everything on 2 lines.

Like Tmobile, you have to buy the phone out of pocket. If that's too dear, Straight Talk through Walmart has the same no-interest purchase plan on an AT&T credit card. Straight Talk is the same company as Net10.

If it turns out that Tmobile is the better network in the area, Net10 has their service on Tmobile too. If OP already has an iPhone(s) they can use, then $45/month is way better than any of the big 4's plans. Since it's on the same networks, there is no major advantage for paying about twice (or more) for them. You need to really love visual voice mail to justify 2X or more in the monthly fee.

OP, if you don't actually need unlimited everything, limited plans can be cheaper. Tmobile has a $30/month plan with some limitations. Consider your real usage to decide if you actually need unlimited everything.

And OP, if you can stand to let go of iPhone, look up Republic Wireless. They can set you up with an Android smart phone with "unlimited*" service for as little as $20/month. They lean on the Sprint network so be sure it is solid in the area. Their (good) approach is to configure the phone so that you are using wifi when wifi is available and cellular only when there is no wifi. As such, they can offer much cheaper plans. Even if Sprint is only so-so in the area, if you are around free wifi most of your day, they might be a good option.

Last edited by HobeSoundDarryl; Mar 28, 2013 at 01:02 PM.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:41 PM   #30
ZombiePete
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKDAIR View Post
Back up your statement with facts and figures, not your opinion.

Not exactly rocket science.
So basically what you want is for us to research your specific situation for you so you don't have to find facts and figures for yourself, is what I'm getting from this statement.

This isn't a research paper; a reference page is not required for posts to MacRumors. If you like use it, if not ignore it. Demanding research to backup opinions is asinine.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlockEight88 View Post
The better carrier is T-Mobile. AT&T is very greedy and doesn't put the customer first, nor appreciate their loyal customers, trust me.
I haven't had any issues with AT&T. I left them over a minor dispute several years ago and after a year away I went back with a smile on my face. For the years before that (was with Cingular when the merger happened) and since, AT&T has been a great carrier and they even resolved the problem that drove me to leave in the first place. The other two carriers I tried, on the other hand (Sprint and Verizon) were terrible. Verizon literally asked me to find another carrier two days into my service with them because I asked for a microcell since they couldn't service my house (even though their map said they did).

In Texas especially based on my experience AT&T cannot be beat for coverage. Along the I-35 corridor you have full 3G coverage the entire way without a hiccup, and off the beaten path I have still managed to maintain data connectivity almost everywhere.
ZombiePete is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 01:02 PM   #31
ZombiePete
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobeSoundDarryl View Post
irregardless
ZombiePete is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 01:24 PM   #32
err404
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobeSoundDarryl View Post
I can't even believe these arguments keep flying (and starting anew). For the budget minded, there are a number of choices that are not the big 4 companies. Many of these use the same network as the big 4 but offer prices at about 40%-60% of the costs. If you are budget-minded, the dominant issue is cost: cost of the phone plus cost of service over time…
Not so fast…
With an iPhone the value of the subsidy over 2 years is $450 per device, or $18.75 per month (actually a bit more since upgrade eligibility is less than 2 yrs in most cases)
So 3 Smartphones on ATT with unlimited Voice/Txt + 4GB (shared) data is $190 while 3 Smartphones on StraightTalk with unlimited Voice/Txt + 4.5GB (1.5GB per phone) data is ~$180 (assuming $450 subsidy per phone)
Many companies offer FAN discounts on AT&T, making it actually cheaper than StraightTalk once all of the discounts and costs are evaluated.
Admittedly if you are using older or cheap phones StraightTalk may be cheaper, but for many people the cost difference is negligible. Certainly not 40%-60%.
err404 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 09:58 PM   #33
AutoUnion39
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlockEight88 View Post
The better carrier is T-Mobile. AT&T is very greedy and doesn't put the customer first, nor appreciate their loyal customers, trust me.
T-Mobile has been rated to have the worst customer service for the last couple years.

I've had AT&T for almost 14 years (ATTWS days.) Yes, they do treat their loyal customers right. I've been getting upgrades every six months and bill credits for my loyalty all the time. For example, I was in Maine when they were deploying LTE and I called in to say that I had wonky data for a couple days. They bill credited me a month of service. Then threw in a free microcell (that I really didn't even need) plus another $100 bill credit for my trouble.

Yeah, they've earned my business and I'm staying with them.
AutoUnion39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:31 PM   #34
upnorth85
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion39 View Post
T-Mobile has been rated to have the worst customer service for the last couple years.
Well AT&T is a shade above T-mobile on being the worst of the big 4 in customer service as per JD Power and Associates. Now that the AT&T take over has flopped, and T-mobile collected a cool $4 billion in breakup fees and spectrum, it is now getting serious to go back to being in the top for customer service. I own stock of AT&T and Verizon because they make good money, but I chose to be a customer of T-mobile for the value I get out of it. Thanks for helping maintain my 5%+ dividend yield on my AT&T stock
upnorth85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 09:38 AM   #35
NewAnger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion39 View Post

I've had AT&T for almost 14 years (ATTWS days.) Yes, they do treat their loyal customers right. I've been getting upgrades every six months and bill credits for my loyalty all the time. For example, I was in Maine when they were deploying LTE and I called in to say that I had wonky data for a couple days. They bill credited me a month of service. Then threw in a free microcell (that I really didn't even need) plus another $100 bill credit for my trouble.

Yeah, they've earned my business and I'm staying with them.
A few years ago, I had a $200 charge appear on my AT&T bill. I called to get the charge removed, it was. When logged into my AT&T to check my bill an hour later, the charge was gone and a $250 credit was attached to my account. The woman clearly goofed at making the changes and I didn't have a bill for three months.

Their CS was always good every time I called. The people who had the worst in my opinion was with Sprint. I had them before I came to AT&T in 07 for the iPhone.
NewAnger is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 09:58 AM   #36
CEmajr
macrumors 68000

I personally have never had a problem with the customer service from any of the carriers. Even AT&T was good when I had them just overpriced.

Since the AT&T merger attempt ovule has employed way too many offshore reps. That's why they are last now.
CEmajr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:15 AM   #37
monkor
macrumors regular

From looking at your cellular signal map in Galveston, Texas (so-so beach, but a pretty place), the T-Mobile coverage there should certainly be adequate. This is assuming you live directly in Galveston and in the hot zone. I've gone to Texas, including your area,with T-Mobile, and while there are certainly areas where there is no service (it's a massive, non densely populated state) your reception should be fine.

The plans are cheaper, the speeds are largely the same if not better (when you have 4G), and I've never had an issue with customer service. If there's one selling point T-Mobile can hammer home, it's that they're cheap but their customer service is a lot better than other companies.

That being said, expect less feature phones if that's your thing. Yes, they'll finally be getting the iPhone and have the Note II and S3/4, but if you wanted anything else you would be limited. No DNA, no One X+, no Razr Maxx whatever they call it. Hope that helps.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone