Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 7, 2013, 01:43 AM   #101
Oletros
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: PremiÓ de Mar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandis View Post
So they recalled all sold tablets and added speakers to them?
No, because they didn't have to. And the final injunction was not for the community design but for an unfair law. So the German case finally decided that Samsung didn't copy the iPad
Oletros is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 07:35 AM   #102
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God
 
kdarling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 23+.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandis View Post
I'm not worried at all actually. I just don't like it when people try to force their opinions on me. It would be unhealthy if I did...
That's understandable.

Hopefully you can likewise understand that some people here felt that you tried to force your opinion ,while using an old and mostly refuted photo montage.

Others who have done that also had the grace to say, "Oops, I didn't realize the store wall thing was bogus".

People here like arguments that can be backed up.
kdarling is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 08:05 AM   #103
iGrip
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
I hate...hate...HATE it when people show those plugs as proof of Samsung's "shameless copying". It's a standard full sized USB plug on a square AC adapter.

It's one of these...

Image

Plus one of these...

Image

Yeah, I guess Samsung could've gone out of their way and made it shaped like a triangle or an octogon or something, but comeon...
You just don't "get it".

Apple had the idea first, and boy did they patent it. Samsung will never get away with blatantly copying Apple's original designs.

Just because some cheesy wall adapter looked like that first doesn't mean that Apple didn't invent it.
iGrip is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 08:42 AM   #104
iGrip
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2002 View Post
But different and continually developed versions of software can be copyrighted as they are rolled out. Furthermore, there are excellent diagnostic techniques for detecting copyright infringement of even snippets of compiled code. The thing about this patent is its sheer obviousness. Look at all the other companies that had already developed algorithms that did the same thing. That simple fact should invalidate the patent. I'm willing to bet there were versions of shareware out there that predate this patent. It's been said for a long time that software should NOT be patentable, and the example here is a beautiful illustration of exactly why.
Let's see: You claim that the patent is invalid due to "a simple fact". And yet, Apple fully litigated this case and lost badly.

So which is it, are you just naive? Or are Apple's lawyers incompetent to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars? Did they really fail to try to invalidate the patent? Or did they try, but fail? And why did they fail if it is all so easy and obvious?

Methinks that you are not sufficiently familiar with this patent and patent law in general. Personally, I'd trust Apple's army of lawyers before I'd trust some random internet poster on a topic as complex as patent law as applied to this particular patent.

But maybe it all as simple as you say. And maybe Apple's legal team needs you to save the day. Why not write them an email at least?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiating View Post
Here let me make a pants on head retarded patent worth 11 billion dollars:

Method for driving safely.

Drive based on the available safe paths for driving.

...

It's very simple.
Good luck with that. I'll bet you a beer that you never, ever receive a patent for that. Hell, I'll bet you a thousand dollars you never get a patent for that.

Very simple, indeed.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandis View Post
I stand by what I said earlier about Samsung copying Apple in terms of design. Even if we discredit all previous images it is pretty obvious in my eyes.

Some people never let the facts get in the way of a good opinion.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandis View Post

Of course I don't need any further evidence cause from the very beginning I was describing what seems obvious to me.
It has been obvious to millions of people over the course of thousands of years that cutting the beating heart out of a virgin would prevent volcanoes from erupting.

And they had a lot of evidence. They killed a virgin, and the volcano did not erupt. Indeed, it worked each and every time.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandis View Post
That's just a lame excuse. You cannot prevent people from voicing their opinions. This is a public forum.
In my opinion, opinions that have no basis in fact are worth less than nothing.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandis View Post
What proven fact? The galaxy tab looked just like an ipad and there is no denying that.
The big Samsung logo is, IMO, a significant difference.

Another big difference is that Samsung uses the normal aspect ratio for the Tab, while Apple uses the old school "black and white TV" aspect ratio.

So yeah, I deny that. And so do the vast majority of the courts who have considered the question.
iGrip is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 09:04 AM   #105
Renzatic
macrumors 604
 
Renzatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wisdom mule sez: there are literally zero jungles in Vermont.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
You just don't "get it".

Apple had the idea first, and boy did they patent it. Samsung will never get away with blatantly copying Apple's original designs.

Just because some cheesy wall adapter looked like that first doesn't mean that Apple didn't invent it.
Apple invented rounded corners, too. Don't forget that.

You know, I give credit to Apple for popularizing minimalism in electronics. It's hard to deny they're one of the major influences in current tech fashion.

But there's this thing about minimalism. It's minimal. As in there's not much to it. If everyone is going for sleek and unadorned, eventually everyone's stuff is gonna look pretty similar. Like a tablet. It's a square screen with one button somewhere on the front. There's only so much you can do with that. I guess you could make the bezel red or blue or something, but who wants to do that? No one wants a red bezel. They want black or white. About the only thing a company can do to differentiate their products is by the bezel thickness. That's about it.

The end result is that just about every tablet is going to look like the iPad, the Galaxy Tab, the Nexus 7, the Surface RT. They're all squares with different aspect ratios. From the front, they all look about the same.

That's not good enough for some people though. They can't be happy their their favorite computer company is the leading influence in the industry. No. Only they should be the ones who can release a product that looks remotely similar to that. If someone else wants to release a tablet, it has to have 15 buttons on the front, because Apple has a product with just one button. If it looks the same at a casual glance, they'll freak out and start posting tons of pictures and blllaaarr copied, they should be sued for a billion dollars!

It's asinine and petty is what it all is.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 11:48 AM   #106
AidenShaw
macrumors G5
 
AidenShaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: The Peninsula
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
...eventually everyone's stuff is gonna look pretty similar. Like a tablet. It's a square screen with one button somewhere on the front.
Neither my Nexus 7 nor my Galaxy Tab 7 have any buttons on the front.

__________________
Edward Snowden - American Hero.
Daniel Ellsberg: "Edward Snowden: Saving Us from the United Stasi of America"
AidenShaw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 01:05 PM   #107
TheIguana
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
if (internal) { vpn(); } else { internet(); } is not the sort of thing that "sounds" patentable. Virtually all software uses this sort of logic!
Evidently the patent office in the US disagrees with that logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesnir View Post
Not only is that not their job, but software engineers are not supposed to go looking at patents because it could be argued, later, that it was willful infringement. Even if they accidentally did it by "inventing" something years later without realizing that they got the idea from another patent while doing research.

It may be someone else's job to research that sort of thing, but researching every little feature sounds like an impossible task.
Lunacy of software patents?
TheIguana is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 05:38 PM   #108
osaga
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Apple ought to intentionally loose a couple of these patent cases... so that they can use them as precedent in future lawsuits against other companies.
osaga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 06:19 PM   #109
mmcc
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIguana View Post
The sheer fact that Apple's own software engineers testified that they did not spend any time determining if an software patents existed for the systems they were building is pretty telling. If one of the largest software companies in the world doesn't even bother looking to see if software patents exist when developing a new technology than bluntly what is the point in their existence? Other than to feed the insatiable need patent trolls have to plunder.
Bingo. It's a profit center for lawyers, period.

It is impossible to write any code for any application now that doesn't intrude on numerous frivolous and silly patents. You would simply waste your entire budget in paralysis over patent issues rather than make a product.

Many of the patents are so vague or generalized that the trolls can use them to threaten suit in several different ways that you would not understand from a cursory reading anyway -- so why even read them?
mmcc is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC