Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old May 29, 2013, 09:11 PM   #151
zin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
On Friday night S.E.Cupp a MSNBC commentator said she was against background checks she does not like having to prove she is innocent. That's one of the standard lame excuses not to have gun regulations. (link)
I saw that exchange, too. What Michael Moore said after her invocation of the infamous "freedom" speech against background checks was spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Moore
If you have a dangerous device that can kill 20 school children, I want to know where that device is.
zin is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 09:47 PM   #152
ThisIsNotMe
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostngone View Post
Will these colleges, doctors, authors be there to protect someone from a rapist? Can they save anyone from getting abducted? Will they shield me from a cirminal that decides to ignore some new law that impairs my constitutional right to protect myself?

Yea, didn't think so...

Good question. A woman in a remote part of Oregon was raped by her ex boyfriend because there were not enough police on duty to dispatch an officer after she called 911. Owning a firearm would have 100% prevented that tragedy.

You CANNOT count on ANYONE including government to protect you. You can only count on yourself.
ThisIsNotMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 11:47 PM   #153
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsNotMe View Post
Good question. A woman in a remote part of Oregon was raped by her ex boyfriend because there were not enough police on duty to dispatch an officer after she called 911. Owning a firearm would have 100% prevented that tragedy.
So could mace/pepper spray, martial arts, or even simple self defense moves. But no, you jump straight to the extreme with a gun, when knowing and doing less could have equally 100% prevented that tragedy.

That's what you don't get.

Quote:
You CANNOT count on ANYONE including government to protect you. You can only count on yourself.
No-one here said that they only depend on the government to protect them. You have only jumped to that assumption.

BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 11:52 PM   #154
xShane
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
So could mace/pepper spray, martial arts, or even simple self defense moves. But no, you jump straight to the extreme with a gun, when knowing and doing less could have equally 100% prevented that tragedy.

That's what you don't get.

No-one here said that they only depend on the government to protect them. You have only jumped to that assumption.

BL.
I swear: these extreme pro-gun people sound like those crazed guys in movies that are so... well crazy.

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
xShane is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 01:00 AM   #155
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShane View Post
I swear: these extreme pro-gun people sound like those crazed guys in movies that are so... well crazy.
Agreed. it is as if a gun is the only thing available that can be used to protect themselves. I don't know if they realize that in some states, the very use of martial arts can be construed as assault with a deadly weapon; but no.. they immediately jump from nothing straight to ultimate weapon to be used.

BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 01:03 AM   #156
.Andy
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Or she could have been 100% killed by the firearm.
Old May 30, 2013, 01:24 AM   #157
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
A woman in a remote part of Oregon was raped by her ex boyfriend because there were not enough police on duty to dispatch an officer after she called 911.
Sounds like there aren't enough police to a critical degree. If there aren't enough to send them to a potential rape then there definitely aren't enough police - they could have taken some off a burglary or something...

I guess taxes will have to rise.
Old May 30, 2013, 01:37 AM   #158
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShane View Post

I love how someone on this board that LEGALLY owns a firearm and supports the second amendment of the U.S. Constitution can basically be called "crazy" and the Mods do not do a single thing.
lostngone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 01:57 AM   #159
.Andy
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I love how someone on this board that LEGALLY owns a firearm and supports the second amendment of the U.S. Constitution can basically be called "crazy" and the Mods do not do a single thing.
Poor systemstically repressed people with guns

It is ridiculous to say a rape (even an unreferenced anecdotal rape) would be prevented 100% by the victim owing a firearm. It certainly isn't logical. Which is a worry, especially given that same cerebellum might be used to operate a deadly weapon.
Old May 30, 2013, 03:01 AM   #160
xShane
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I support all amendments.

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
xShane is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 08:32 AM   #161
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Unless it's a direct attack on another poster, the mods aren't going to do much, because it's not necessarily against forum rules.

I can say that people who listen to dubstep must have a screw loose. Just because you might listen to dubstep doesn't mean I personally attacked you, and the post would not be removed due to a TOS violation.

But I have to agree somewhat...the pro-gun side has gone into a bit of hysteria recently.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues