Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:55 AM   #26
pctomacuser
macrumors newbie

I have been through several forums searching for an answer to this embarrassing coding issue with Outlook for Mac 2011 indiscriminately changing fonts, font sizes and formatting when sending an email and at long last someone has actually recommended a solution that works.....TEXTEDIT! Well done MrsScarf.

Now the bigger issue for Microsoft to write code for Outlook for Mac 2011 which makes users of their "office productivity suite" well actually productive, rather than needing to write + cut + paste into a TEXTEDIT for formatting and then cut + paste back into Outlook for Mac 2011 in order that the email can be sent with consistent font size and formatting. This is pretty mundane task when you are sending 20-30 emails that need to look professional per day and such steps have never been necessary in a PC/Outlook environment.

Outlook for Mac 2011, despite the recent update v14.3.1, it clearly not doing what is written on the box and is not fit for purpose. It is very hard to believe that we are now in 2013 and having such a widespread problem and that microsoft have not addressed it with an update.
pctomacuser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:08 AM   #27
nefan65
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by pctomacuser View Post
I have been through several forums searching for an answer to this embarrassing coding issue with Outlook for Mac 2011 indiscriminately changing fonts, font sizes and formatting when sending an email and at long last someone has actually recommended a solution that works.....TEXTEDIT! Well done MrsScarf.

Now the bigger issue for Microsoft to write code for Outlook for Mac 2011 which makes users of their "office productivity suite" well actually productive, rather than needing to write + cut + paste into a TEXTEDIT for formatting and then cut + paste back into Outlook for Mac 2011 in order that the email can be sent with consistent font size and formatting. This is pretty mundane task when you are sending 20-30 emails that need to look professional per day and such steps have never been necessary in a PC/Outlook environment.

Outlook for Mac 2011, despite the recent update v14.3.1, it clearly not doing what is written on the box and is not fit for purpose. It is very hard to believe that we are now in 2013 and having such a widespread problem and that microsoft have not addressed it with an update.
I've abandoned Office 2011. I have it from work, but use iWork and Mail. With the last update to Office, I've found it buggy and a hot mess to be honest.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:33 PM   #28
outlook2011mac
macrumors newbie

Somewhat helpful Solution

Yeah I've had the exact same problems - mainly copying and pasting into my email message. When I send the email, it looks formatted correctly. However, when the recipient replies, the font is all screwed up (different sizes) and looks terrible, completely unlike what the original email looks like in my sent box.

The following solution is limited, but you can try it:

Click "Outlook" --> Preferences --> Composing --> scroll to the bottom and disable "Compose messages in HTML by default"

Exit out of this window by clicking the top left corner "Show All"

Next, you return to the Outlook Preferences screen. Click on "Fonts." You can then select the type of font you would like to use as "Plain text messages"

This will make all of your emails Plain text messages; this means you cannot format your fonts. But, for everything you copy and paste (including hyperlinks) you can rest assured that the font will look consistent.

You will not be able to use any formatting whatsoever in the email; nor will you be able to add in graphs / charts / tables / pictures, or formatted bullet points etc...

While this is only a half-way fix, it still works if you don't mind not being able to bold, underline, change the color of your font, etc...
outlook2011mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2013, 09:37 AM   #29
schecae1
macrumors newbie

another solution(?)

I've used the TextEdit approach in the past and while it always works I think I've found an alternative that can be done all in Outlook.

I default to and almost always stick with Plain text. I just discovered that if I go to the "Options" tab, which is set to "Plain", switch to "HTML", and then immediately switch back to "Plain" then the paste on the line above problem goes away. It's as if the default "Plain" setting isn't really "Plain" (it's not HTML either).

I also discovered another "bug". If I place the cursor between characters and do a right-click to paste from the pop-up menu, it always auto-selects the next character, which is then replaced on the paste. If I chose the Paste from the Edit menu or just do a command-V then my selection stays and the paste works as expected.

I also have to be careful about selecting text. If I double click to select something then Outlook always wants to do a "word" paste inserting spaces on either side of the pasted text if it thinks it is needed. Click-and-drag or click-and-shift-click avoids that behavior. I'd expect this behavior to be tied to an AutoCorrect setting or Composing setting in Preferences but I don't see anything obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsScarf View Post
I know this is an old thread but I was enraged by the amount of trolls on here, and I think I have a solution.

I have been having this problem for ages and finally decided to try everything under the sun to try to fix it. Finally something worked!

Before sending any emails I cut and paste all of the text (event the signature as that can go do-lally too!) into TextEdit, check it still looks ok and then cut and paste it back again.

Yes it's a pain, but it works! All my emails now go out looking nice and professional - I would say more like Vanity Fair then Just Seventeen though

How this helps people.

MS
schecae1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2013, 02:50 PM   #30
colemac
macrumors newbie

Issues with Outlook 2011 mac email merge

I am trying to copy my html email from outlook into word for a email merge however the issue is that I have an image in there and it changes the formatting of the font and the margins......This worked perfect in windows. It just doesn't look clean like it does in outlook.

Is there a workaround for my mac?

Thanks in advance,
colemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2013, 11:09 AM   #31
GleepGlop
macrumors newbie

This is a real crappy problem that Microsoft needs to address. I inadvertently created a situation where the recipient of my email will know someone else produced language that I copy and pasted into my message because it's in a different format. In this situation it is fairly embarrassing.
GleepGlop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2014, 04:05 PM   #32
MaggieJ
macrumors newbie

Relieved to see an answer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsScarf View Post
I know this is an old thread but I was enraged by the amount of trolls on here, and I think I have a solution.

I have been having this problem for ages and finally decided to try everything under the sun to try to fix it. Finally something worked!

Before sending any emails I cut and paste all of the text (event the signature as that can go do-lally too!) into TextEdit, check it still looks ok and then cut and paste it back again.

Yes it's a pain, but it works! All my emails now go out looking nice and professional - I would say more like Vanity Fair then Just Seventeen though

How this helps people.

MS
I have struggled with this issue for years. I almost gave up reading through the posts (due to the amount of noise from individuals taking the time to disagree that this is an issue).
I am not trying to do anything fancy with my emails (I do that elsewhere) - but to expect that an email with text & bullets looks the same to the person I sent it to doesn't seem too much to ask.

I will definitely try this. I have tried copying and pasting into word (per an earlier suggestion), but the bullets don't maintain as bullets.

Thanks again.
Maggie
MaggieJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:02 AM   #33
oliviaabraham12
macrumors newbie

the right answer!!

C

Last edited by oliviaabraham12; Feb 25, 2014 at 07:21 AM. Reason: i don't know how to delete this post. itz not the right answer. sorry
oliviaabraham12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 09:30 AM   #34
cecchini
macrumors newbie

Outlook formatting

Hi all

I am very new to mac, having spent the last 30 years using Microsoft products.

I was struggling with this problem, mainly related to setting up a decent signature. I found the solution to be simple in the end. Set up the text in Pages rather than Word. I actually cut and pasted what i wanted from word into pages, reformatted as appropriate then cut from there and pasted into Outlook for mac. Worked like a charm.

hope this helps
cecchini is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 06:35 AM   #35
phili76
macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I just had the same problem and discovered a very neat workaround.

If you click in the message text, hit cmd+a to select all text, and reply(or cmd+r) the formatting stays!
Hope it helps anyone.

philipp
phili76 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2014, 08:55 AM   #36
wilsonlaidlaw
macrumors regular

Easy way to get rid of odd formatting in Outlook

The quick way to get rid of odd formatting errors on an outgoing message is to go into the message options tab and then click into Plain from HTML and back into HTML. That seems to get rid of things like weird line spacing and characters. Pity that MS did not give us the ability to use Word as a text editor in Outlook, like on the Windozzze version but then so much of the rest of the program is designed by some mindless monkey, should we be surprised.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 02:12 PM   #37
petvas
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to petvas Send a message via MSN to petvas
For those of you that think that the sender's formatting options affect the way the mail will be displayed at the recipient's computer, please consider the following:
  • The end user client application controls rendering of the mail body. If the application has been configured to use a specific font and size always, then there is no way that the mail will be displayed as originally created!
  • If the recipient's client has the same fonts used by the sender, and if the client application has been configured accordingly, then the mail will be rendered by using the same fonts.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store