Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 19, 2014, 08:55 PM   #51
TricellCEO
macrumors newbie

Aaaaannnnddd...problems gone...

I took off those four login items (Drop Box, Google Drive, Music Manager, and Magic Menu) and then began to tack them on, one-by-one, testing the system by launching Google Chrome (because I know if I can handle that, I'm good to go) and I was able to web browse just as well as I did before the system suddenly starting going at a sloth's pace.

I even did a system restart between each item added, and when I got to having all four...yeah, it was a little slow at startup, but that went away after a minute or so, and the slowness was not nearly as bad as what had been going on.

So...I'll still probably go to the Apple Store just to see if they can run some advanced diagnostics and see if there was some kind of underlying problem. That, and just to give them a status report on how semi-crappy Mavericks seems to be. I personally don't have too big of a problem with Mavericks, other than what they did with QuickTime...but that has its upsides as well.

Anyways...I digress...problem solved...for now...
TricellCEO is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:50 PM   #52
gslrider
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by phalgun27 View Post
I have both smcFanControl and iStat Pro. The fan speed is 0 rpm in both the apps. I have changed the fan speed in smcFanControl but nothing happened. I guess the exhaust fan is not working.

I don't have OS install disk. I tried to boot holding D key but it didn't work. I even tried connecting ethernet and booting but it didn't work too. Are there any other techniques for doing AHT?

I noticed the kernel_task is above 200% when I am watching movies or using flash and when the Mac is getting hot.

The CPU Temperature was 80-90C (not F)
80-90C is within high temp, but ok parameters. Mine is around 75. But I don't recommend you running your MBP without a working fan. As irrelevant as some may see it, it does help in dissipating the heat. You don't need to replace the motherboard to replace the fans. Easy swap.

As for the kernel issue, have you tried repairing permissions, or repairing volume directory blocks? Those are two main and simplest things to do whenever I troubleshoot. And most of the time, that's all it takes. I don't know about anyone else. But I stand by Disk Warrior for repairs. Has never failed me to repair software issues within the OS for years. You can also use Disk Utility to repair permissions.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 09:30 PM   #53
mrleigh
macrumors newbie

unique kernel_task problem!

Hi,

I own a Macbook Pro running Mavericks. For the past few months i've been noticing more issues to add to my growing list. After i upgraded Mavericks almost straight away i discovered that it wouldn't wake up from being asleep ONLY when it's plugged into power. Then i got those horrible beeps (set of 3 beeps 5 times) every now and then. Every time i ran a system diagnostic report, the conclusion pointed to a problem with kernel_task. Only as recent as a few days ago, i've noticed the RAM being used by kernel_task is almost at 1GB and increasing. I also replaced & upgraded the RAM that was previously in it when i bought it second hand about 8 months ago and have installed a bigger 1TB HHD.
I've ALMOST done everything i can find in order to fix it. I've tried terminal commands, mavericks cache cleaner, ran spin dump, reset my SMC, tried to run safe mode to see if disabling 3rd party apps would calm kernel down but these are not working!
The 3rd last thing i'm going to try is repairing the permissions, then if that doesn't work, i'll consider reinstalling Mavericks and/or visiting an Apple Genius Bar but these two i REALLY don't want to do!

Here are some screenshots. Observe the crashes and spins section below.
PLEASE HELP ME!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-03-10 at 1.20.14 pm.png
Views:	14
Size:	879.1 KB
ID:	464219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-03-10 at 12.33.44 pm.png
Views:	14
Size:	568.0 KB
ID:	464220  
mrleigh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2014, 09:41 PM   #54
chrfr
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrleigh View Post
Then i got those horrible beeps (set of 3 beeps 5 times) every now and then.
The series of 3 beeps indicates a problem with RAM. Your screen captures don't show enough detail to find anything indicative of a problem.
chrfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 05:59 PM   #55
kevb8ll
macrumors newbie

Hi

I have just got my macbook, so could do with some help.

I am seeing this problem too.

Here are my print screens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	13
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	468183   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	10
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	468184  
kevb8ll is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 06:57 PM   #56
Weaselboy
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevb8ll View Post
Hi

There is nothing wrong with kernel task in your screen cap. You do have something called "installer" there chewing up some memory. It looks like maybe the Adobe Flash installer is hung up.

Did you open the DMG to install Flash then not complete the install or eject the DMG?

Try a restart and take another look at Activity Monitor and see what your memory usage is then.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 07:31 PM   #57
DeltaMac
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevb8ll View Post
Hi

Ah, well, with that high memory pressure - you would benefit from more RAM.
Hope your MacBook is one that can be upgraded.
DeltaMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Tags
kernal_task