Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Just saw on GOG that both games are on sale, for just 4.99 each.

Considering that they are regarded as two of the best RPGs ever (and given also that they are now Mac-compatible), my question is:

Which one should I buy?

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
Personally, I found Fallout 2 less annoying.

Fallout 1 had an in-game limit where after 150 days if you hadn't completed the end quests, you basically lost. Fallout 2 had no such limit, so you were free to whip around and do whatever you wanted (for the most part).

Frankly, I don't think you'll miss anything if you skip the first game.

-SC

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
+1 for 2. Hm...I mean I'd choose Fallout 2 too, if I had to pick just one of them.
Regardless, you'll have lot of authentic rpg fun that is becoming very rare nowadays.

Sankersizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Canadadada
I just finished playing 2 (played 1 right before) and I think 2 is a better game. It's just more involved and obviously a bit more refined. I liked the story from 2 better, but that could be because I played NV first and then 3, and heard all the references to 2 before I knew what they were.

Either one is a great game though!

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I've played both like 3-4 times each. They are both great games.
F2 is the better game, it has improved some of the shortcomings in F1.

However you should really play both, and it makes more sense doing F1 first.

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Tks a lot for all replies - it seems like, if I am supposed to get one, it should be Fallout 2. I will consider buying Fallout at a later stage in any case; it's just that, as much as I love those kinds of games, I really don't have much spare time to play RPGs anymore.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
None. You can download both for free in 3 minutes, both games are like 1MB

Moreover, the games were great 20 years ago, now fans still like it, but I doubt you gonna find too much fun. I downloaded them, played once and forgot about them. At least, try before you purchase.

Again, download both games, you know where, and then if you feel like supporting the creators, buy the game.

Just to conclude, both games are mechanically the same, I would play the 1st one first so you can follow the history of the saga

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.