Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:22 PM   #1
NDefer
macrumors member

Lost my iPhone

So I lost my iphone today, someone probably snatched it up. Wondering what my options are here on in

I have find my iphone activated, however my phone has a lock. Could possibly be dead at this point. I sent a message to it and am waiting for it to connect to the internet, however i assume if it is locked they wont be able to connect it to the internet? So I will probably never get the notification?

What are peoples options when they get this type of device? Are their options pretty much limited to restoring it through itunes?

Just trying to figure out what the options are, going to wait until tomorrow to see if my university had it returned or someone else calls, but I am not sure.

Is find my iphone reset when the phone is reset? Is it even possible to restore my iphone without my pin?
NDefer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:29 PM   #2
wxman2003
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDefer View Post
So I lost my iphone today, someone probably snatched it up. Wondering what my options are here on in

I have find my iphone activated, however my phone has a lock. Could possibly be dead at this point. I sent a message to it and am waiting for it to connect to the internet, however i assume if it is locked they wont be able to connect it to the internet? So I will probably never get the notification?

What are peoples options when they get this type of device? Are their options pretty much limited to restoring it through itunes?

Just trying to figure out what the options are, going to wait until tomorrow to see if my university had it returned or someone else calls, but I am not sure.

Is find my iphone reset when the phone is reset? Is it even possible to restore my iphone without my pin?
Once you reset your phone through find my iphone, it wipes the phone. All your info is wiped, but the thief could still restore as new in DFU mode to wipe you lock code. Unless your carrier blacklists the phone, the thief can turn around and sell it and someone else can use it.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:46 PM   #3
617aircav
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
Once you reset your phone through find my iphone, it wipes the phone. All your info is wiped, but the thief could still restore as new in DFU mode to wipe you lock code. Unless your carrier blacklists the phone, the thief can turn around and sell it and someone else can use it.
Yep once you report it to your carrier it will be unusable in the us. I have a 5 that I bought that was apparently stolen. Cant be used on any network. It's an iPod touch.
617aircav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:53 PM   #4
NDefer
macrumors member

Quote:
i read if i erased iphone through find my iphone I would also be giving up any chance of finding it through the service. Seems like a given up hope option, I assume by this time if they wiped it they wiped it.

Can an Iphone 5 be wiped via computer without passcode? Problem with the lock is, now people cant even see who to send it to if they found it? Seems like I might be screwed.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:10 AM   #5
wxman2003
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by 617aircav View Post
Yep once you report it to your carrier it will be unusable in the us. I have a 5 that I bought that was apparently stolen. Cant be used on any network. It's an iPod touch.
Unusable on that carrier, but not all carriers. Just take it to T-mobile, ST, etc and it will work.

----------

Quote:
Can an Iphone 5 be wiped via computer without passcode? Problem with the lock is, now people cant even see who to send it to if they found it? Seems like I might be screwed.
Yes, by restoring via DFU mode. I would bet by now, it has already been sold to someone else.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:53 AM   #6
NDefer
macrumors member

Quote:
Unusable on that carrier, but not all carriers. Just take it to T-mobile, ST, etc and it will work.

----------

Yes, by restoring via DFU mode. I would bet by now, it has already been sold to someone else.
If reset does it get removed from the find my iPhone list, or does it remain there even if it is no longer associated with the service
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:03 AM   #7
wxman2003
macrumors 68020

Quote:
If reset does it get removed from the find my iPhone list, or does it remain there even if it is no longer associated with the service
After thief does DFU restore, or after you do a remote wipe, find my phone will no longer work for you to trace it.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:03 PM   #8
NDefer
macrumors member

Quote:
After thief does DFU restore, or after you do a remote wipe, find my phone will no longer work for you to trace it.
Just to be clear though, my phone is wiped as well during this process? So my info on the phone will be cleared?
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:15 PM   #9
Demonface
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Just to be clear though, my phone is wiped as well during this process? So my info on the phone will be cleared?
Yes , The phone will be just as it was when you bought it.
Demonface is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:32 PM   #10
617aircav
macrumors 68030

Quote:

----------

Won't work on tmobile either. Att and tmobile now share a data base of stolen phones. ST is att.
617aircav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:44 PM   #11
wxman2003
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by 617aircav View Post
Won't work on tmobile either. Att and tmobile now share a data base of stolen phones. ST is att.
That's why Verizon iphone 5 is more valuable.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone