Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jun 10, 2013, 04:51 AM   #51
buryfan
macrumors newbie

Definitely Facebook, in the past I have minimised the app, come back to my idle phone in one hour and the percentage had dropped at least 5-10% in idle
buryfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 05:03 AM   #52
Kilamite
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dictoresno View Post
skype is a VOIP app, its required to remain active in the background to listen for calls. a true battery hog.
What about Viber? Is that just as bad?

I thought push notifications would've helped with this.
Kilamite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 05:17 AM   #53
dictoresno
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilamite View Post

i dont know, it might be in the same boat. the link in the OP states "Apple's rules allow audio apps and voice over IP apps to run in the background and Facebook's apps are using these exemptions allowing them to run in the background and drain your battery" so i assume Viber falls into that category as well.
dictoresno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 05:20 AM   #54
hafr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilamite View Post

Quote:
i dont know, it might be in the same boat. the link in the OP states "Apple's rules allow audio apps and voice over IP apps to run in the background and Facebook's apps are using these exemptions allowing them to run in the background and drain your battery" so i assume Viber falls into that category as well.
As far as I know, the Skype app needs to be opened so you can log in in order for you to be reached there. Viber on the other hand doesn't. So if you're scared that Viber will be battery consuming, just kill it after each use. You can still be reached.
hafr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 12:08 PM   #55
Shockwave78
macrumors 6502a

Alright after multiple days testing this my battery life is through the roof. I am averaging 1 1/2 to 2hrs+ per 20% of battery life.

My usage is 80% we browsing , 10% twitter, Facebook, 10% texting/mail calls.

Before I would be lucky to eek out 4hrs usage
Shockwave78 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 12:59 PM   #56
iBanshee
macrumors newbie

Quote:
it was all a few phone calls, maybe 20 minutes, imessaging and texting, playing 5 games of words with friends and some web browsing.

this was with 2 bars of service, but on wifi, brightness set very low as i always have it but it is set on auto.
but did you turn on data service? So this 4+ hrs of usage was actually screen on time? Because as of me i can only get 5-6 hrs of screen on.

And by the way did the percentage on your phone drop constantly, i mean for every % dropped you get 5-6 mins of usage, because mine seems to have the first 20% from 100% it dropped slower than the rest, especially below 50% the battery drops even faster, i can only get 3 mins for every % dropped. It means for the first half 50% of battery I get 4-5 hrs of usage but for the remaining 50% I can only get 2-3 hrs. Can you check on that
iBanshee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 06:19 PM   #57
dictoresno
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBanshee View Post
but did you turn on data service? So this 4+ hrs of usage was actually screen on time? Because as of me i can only get 5-6 hrs of screen on.

And by the way did the percentage on your phone drop constantly, i mean for every % dropped you get 5-6 mins of usage, because mine seems to have the first 20% from 100% it dropped slower than the rest, especially below 50% the battery drops even faster, i can only get 3 mins for every % dropped. It means for the first half 50% of battery I get 4-5 hrs of usage but for the remaining 50% I can only get 2-3 hrs. Can you check on that
yea the usage was all screen time sending imessages and playing words with friends. i was at a point where my battery would drop 1% every 2-3 mins, now it doesnt anymore.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 07:27 PM   #58
iBanshee
macrumors newbie

Quote:
yea the usage was all screen time sending imessages and playing words with friends. i was at a point where my battery would drop 1% every 2-3 mins, now it doesnt anymore.
oh ok, so did you have LTE or 3G data service enable or only wifi? Sorry if im asking too many much:"P. Whats your usage at the end then?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 07:52 PM   #59
dictoresno
macrumors 68020

Quote:
oh ok, so did you have LTE or 3G data service enable or only wifi? Sorry if im asking too many much:"P. Whats your usage at the end then?
i was mostly on a weak wifi connection at work, and strong LTE when i went outside during my 12 hour shift.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 08:02 PM   #60
ValerieDurden
macrumors 6502a

So before leaving work I charged my phone to 100% and totally shut down the Facebook app, before leaving I sent a few texts and did some light browsing and here I am it just dropped to 99%. By now I would usually be around 85-90% charged if Facebook was open.

Old Jun 11, 2013, 08:00 AM   #61
kuebby
macrumors 68000

Wow, so glad I found this. My battery life dropped off a cliff in the last week and I was about to make a Genius Bar appt soon if it didn't improve.

It's like Facebook wants me to deactivate completely...
kuebby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 09:09 AM   #62
hafr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieDurden View Post
So before leaving work I charged my phone to 100% and totally shut down the Facebook app, before leaving I sent a few texts and did some light browsing and here I am it just dropped to 99%. By now I would usually be around 85-90% charged if Facebook was open.

I wouldn't take this number as any kind of indication of anything what so ever, unless you believe it's fair to assume you're able to hit 50 hours of usage...
hafr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 03:50 PM   #63
ValerieDurden
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafr View Post
I wouldn't take this number as any kind of indication of anything what so ever, unless you believe it's fair to assume you're able to hit 50 hours of usage...
Obviously I don't expect that, but my battery life is greatly improved since I have been closing out Facebook when I am not using it. Their is some truth to this finding, and I am seeing it first hand. I am leaving work now and I am at 80%, with about 1 hour 30 minutes of usage and 7 hours 4 minutes on standby, I've had a few short phone calls and around 50 texts with some decent web browsing, and at work when I go into the basement which is quite often there is a significant drop in signal strength so I am usually at 1-2 bars if I am lucky, so all in all a decent upgrade in battery life considering if I don't bring my charger to work I would be at ~50% percent right now with similar usage.
ValerieDurden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 04:58 PM   #64
iBanshee
macrumors newbie

somehow i get even better battery life by deleting completely facebook app, the reason for this maybe even if i close the app after each you, i would still get notification for new updates and it would trigger the app in the background without me knowing and its not even in the multitasking bar. So I guess deleting the facebook app might do the magic then^^
Old Jun 12, 2013, 02:52 PM   #65
Kilamite
macrumors G3

Quote:
somehow i get even better battery life by deleting completely facebook app, the reason for this maybe even if i close the app after each you, i would still get notification for new updates and it would trigger the app in the background without me knowing and its not even in the multitasking bar. So I guess deleting the facebook app might do the magic then^^
Nah, if that were the case the app would re-open. When you get a push notification, it isn't the app that gets it or sends it, it's Apple that sends it to your phone's notification centre. The app isn't any the wiser you just got a push notification, though this is due to change in iOS 7 and apps will get prepared for launch when you get a push notification.
Kilamite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2013, 11:48 AM   #66
ValerieDurden
macrumors 6502a

Here is a fine example of what the Facebook app can do, mind you my phone was off the charger for about 3 hours and was 100% fully charged, I didn't use it for anything it just sat there it was connected to WiFi and obviously I had 4 bars of service and no other apps running besides Phone and Messages.

Old Jul 4, 2013, 12:45 PM   #67
alexforget82
macrumors member

Quote:
it was all a few phone calls, maybe 20 minutes, imessaging and texting, playing 5 games of words with friends and some web browsing.

this was with 2 bars of service, but on wifi, brightness set very low as i always have it but it is set on auto.
LTE on or off ????
alexforget82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2013, 03:47 PM   #68
jcpb
macrumors 6502a

I'd be surprised if worst case battery life scenario on a smartphone = running official Facebook app, as opposed to heavy gaming.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 05:45 PM   #69
dictoresno
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexforget82 View Post
LTE on or off ????
i never turn LTE off since my whole area is blanketed in it.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 05:54 PM   #70
abz1981
macrumors 65816

Quote:
i never turn LTE off since my whole area is blanketed in it.
Does turning LTE off not save battery life though? Was talking to a genius other day who said just use 3G ( as dont get LTE my area ) off when not required and just use wifi only when possible. As this helps the battery I got told.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 06:18 PM   #71
jcpb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by abz1981 View Post
Does turning LTE off not save battery life though? Was talking to a genius other day who said just use 3G ( as dont get LTE my area ) off when not required and just use wifi only when possible. As this helps the battery I got told.
My phone lasts longer between charges if I keep 3G/LTE off unless when needed.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 04:26 PM   #72
JVICINI
macrumors newbie

Facebook App in iPhone 5 drains your battery

As I have seen in this forum, the title doesn`t seem to be recent news. Since I installed Facebook app in my iPhone 5 (about 2 weeks ago) battery started to drain horribly. The causal relationship was obvious. The suggestion written about using the mobile facebook site seems more sensible.
JVICINI is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone