Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
any rumors on ipod touch update? will there be one soon? will it get Touch id? I really want something new as my 4th generation touch is too long in the tooth. if nothing is coming the I'll break down and finally get an iphone (hate the data plan prices in Canada).

A few days before the 5S launch the ipod touch tech spec page had an image in the right column showing 802.11ac (I snagged a screenshot). So I figured an update was coming but nothing happened when 5S was launched. Instead they fixed this image and it now says 802.11n :(

defunct32

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
any rumors on ipod touch update? will there be one soon? will it get Touch id? I really want something new as my 4th generation touch is too long in the tooth. if nothing is coming the I'll break down and finally get an iphone (hate the data plan prices in Canada).

A few days before the 5S launch the ipod touch tech spec page had an image in the right column showing 802.11ac (I snagged a screenshot). So I figured an update was coming but nothing happened when 5S was launched. Instead they fixed this image and it now says 802.11n :(

I doubt we're getting a sixth Gen this year, but with Apple, who knows? Also, what does this 802.11ac/n got anything to do with a new iPod... am I missing something here?

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
to clarify. I thought that that 802.11ac pic was just something from the new ipod touch specs accidentally posted early. this kind of thing happens sometimes.

pr0230

Suspended
Feb 7, 2013
So how much would you pay and 4 what?

So an IPOD Touch 6G would give you what an A6 processor and??? for
the usual 400 bucks....

Or a 5S (T-Mobile with NO Contract & Not activated) with A7 chip. For a whoppi g 900 bucks including tax?

Better camera or A6 processor does not do it for me...

GPS , more processor memory & 128 GB ... I'm in....

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Only thing going on with Ipod touch this year is probably the "space grey" color. I did expect a price reduce but thats already not happening for sho.

Next event is for Ipad, but who knows.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
any rumors on ipod touch update? will there be one soon?
I doubt Apple would have gone and updated the iPod colors if they were going to be introducing an iPod update in a month. Based on that, I suspect there won't be an iPod update until next year.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

Apple rumor control has been non-existent this summer / fall and there have been no rumors of a Touch update.

Most people believe the next update will be Sept/Oct 2014.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
There is a new iPod touch coming out in October.

The highest capacity will be 64GB.
It will be available in wifi, or 3G/LTE.
It will have stereo speakers.
It will run ipad apps.
It will have a 7.9 inch screen.
It will be called an "iPad mini" rather than an "iPod touch".
The 5th gen iPod touch will remain available.

Hope this helps!

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Yep color change is all we are getting in a touch this year, they wil prob update them next sept with an A6 and other options, I picked up a 16gb that will hold me for a bit, when they update next year then I might splurge on a 64gb, for now the 16gb is doing me fine, most of the stuff I use it for I stream from ITunes match. If I know I am going out where there is no Wifi, then I'll DL the few albums I want to listen to, it works out fine

Andy-UK

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2013
Yeah, I'm holding out for the 6th gen, A6 processor version too. I'd love to think they might give the whole product range a refresh after what has been a pretty quiet year for Apple so far but with the iPhones last week and new iPads expected next month it looks like it'll be next year before we see it.

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I doubt Apple would have gone and updated the iPod colors if they were going to be introducing an iPod update in a month. Based on that, I suspect there won't be an iPod update until next year.
that's a good point.
Apple rumor control has been non-existent this summer / fall and there have been no rumors of a Touch update.

Most people believe the next update will be Sept/Oct 2014.

I don't think there were too many rumors before ipod touch ipdates in the past. I believe it usually flies under the radar. but yeh, you guys are probably correct and there is nothing forthcoming soon. I might just have to splurge on an iphone as I don't want to wait another year and I don't want to buy something with 2 year old tech - I don't upgrade very often and it will get obsolete real fast.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I might just have to splurge on an iphone as I don't want to wait another year and I don't want to buy something with 2 year old tech - I don't upgrade very often and it will get obsolete real fast.

The Touch is always behind in tech. What are you going to do next year when the Touch comes out with an A6 (which will be 2 year old tech next year) and everything else is an A7 or A8 ? The Touch 5 is an amazing iPod and it runs great so don't be afraid to get one.

pr0230

Suspended
Feb 7, 2013
Actually a good point...

The Touch is always behind in tech. What are you going to do next year when the Touch comes out with an A6 (which will be 2 year old tech next year) and everything else is an A7 or A8 ? The Touch 5 is an amazing iPod and it runs great so don't be afraid to get one.

If the T-Mobile phone stays contract free - meaning I would not activate it, I would definately go from a Ipodtouch 5 to a I-phone 6.... with an A8 processor...

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
If the T-Mobile phone stays contract free - meaning I would not activate it, I would definately go from a Ipodtouch 5 to a I-phone 6.... with an A8 processor...

An 64 GB iPhone 5S cost $849 while a 64GB Touch 5 cost $399 giving a price differential of $450.

I imagine the price differentials will be about the same. Would you really pay $450 more for the iPhone 6 ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.