Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mdv2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Recently, I purchased a 256GB Samsung SSD for my Late 2008 Macbook, thinking to be smart and eventually migrate it to a new Macbook Pro 13'' which I plan to buy in Q3.

Turns out that the parts in the Retina models cannot be upgraded. Both memory and flash storage are soldered and cannot be upgraded. This is a huge issue for me. The fact that I could upgrade it so easily allowed me to get very much value out of a $1200 machine in the past four years.

I have upgraded memory twice and the HDD trice, hence I haven't had a real;y need to upgrade. Nonetheless, the 2.0 Core2Duo processor is getting somewhat slow and I will therefore need to replace it sooner or later.

So my question is if there's any chance that Apple will allow us once again to upgrade our machines when the launch the new line in Q3 and if not, till when is the non-Retina line thought to be around. Will it be phased out this year? If so, I'll buy a non-Retina within the next few months.

toypadlock

macrumors regular
May 17, 2010
UK
current retina MBPs do *not* have soldered flash memory and it is absolutely upgradeable. unfortunately for you the drive you have isn't the right type and won't fit. you probably should have done some research!

Beecker

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2013
Michigan
From what i've read and heard. All the new MBPr will be intergraded memory,SSD. If you customize one on apple I believe that it tells you to make sure this is enough ram and storage because you won't be able to upgrade them.

hagr182

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
On the same boat as you mate, I upgraded the heck out of my 2009 pro, now with apple´s new design direction, its, at least in my case, either buy the 2700 usd model (I want that sexy 15 rMBP) or forgoe future upgrades.

Asuriyan

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Indiana
It's a concession to the size of the machine, not a slight to the customer. How do you reduce the form factor of a computer type that's been more or less the same size for 15 years? Cut unnecessary hardware and use proprietary components.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
That would be sad. All in the name of profits. Customers like me, who use a machine for 4-5 years are not valued.
Form factor and efficiency too you know. More something is "universal" more compromises you have to make.

I think it is awful too. Throwing in extra ram and upgrading the HD were so simple....:(

computing needs are changing recently. So will the needs of consumers. Fact is, even MBA packs more CPU power than the best workstations just 5 years ago did. It changing so rapidly and shifting towards different markets in 4years you won't care about RAM or CPU anymore.

That's why cars don't use bolts anymore.. just stupid clip-on plastic.

Oh well...

jchase2057

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2010
Detroit
It's a concession to the size of the machine, not a slight to the customer. How do you reduce the form factor of a computer type that's been more or less the same size for 15 years? Cut unnecessary hardware and use proprietary components.

It is a concession that is fine for the regular consumer. Most peopel don't upgrade their machines anyway. I would never buy an air because to me thinner is not better. The air is a cute toy, not a laptop I want to carry arpound with me. To me the macbook and macbook pro are more comfortable to hold. And I would never buy a machine with all soldered components. So the direction that they are heading in is completely away from anything I would want. Not a huge deal as there are plenty of other pc manufactures, however I have enjoyed apple for the most part over the years. I'm sure others feel the same way.

Mdv2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008

That may be, but I think most people care more about the ability to upgrade components than about Apple trying to slim down the Pro to a point where functionality is being sacrificed. Leave that for the Macbook Air.

I see your point, but we shouldn't pretend as if 2 memory slots cannot be fit into a slimmed down Macbook Pro. If you look at the iFixit guide, you'll notice a 'very un-Apple' space next to the SSD; 'It's not like them to leave big air gaps in their newest, sleekest designs.' source Doesn't really look like a super efficient design after all.

I think it is a combination of both. Apple makes huge premiums on memory and HDD customizable options and it allows the customer for expanding the lifetime of his machine. With profit margins currently under pressure, taking these nuisances away significantly shortens the lifetime of a machine and allows Apple to continue making hefty profits on customization.

jchase2057

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2010
Detroit
That may be, but I think most people care more about the ability to upgrade components than about Apple trying to slim down the Pro to a point where functionality is being sacrificed. Leave that for the Macbook Air.

I see your point, but we shouldn't pretend as if 2 memory slots cannot be fit into a slimmed down Macbook Pro. If you look at the iFixit guide, you'll notice a 'very un-Apple' space next to the SSD; 'It's not like them to leave big air gaps in their newest, sleekest designs.' source Doesn't really look like a super efficient design after all.

I think it is a combination of both. Apple makes huge premiums on memory and HDD customizable options and it allows the customer for expanding the lifetime of his machine. With profit margins currently under pressure, taking these nuisances away significantly shortens the lifetime of a machine and allows Apple to continue making hefty profits on customization.

If apple starts looking for money over innovation again, it will be just like the 90's.

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Form factor and efficiency too you know. More something is "universal" more compromises you have to make.

computing needs are changing recently. So will the needs of consumers. Fact is, even MBA packs more CPU power than the best workstations just 5 years ago did. It changing so rapidly and shifting towards different markets in 4years you won't care about RAM or CPU anymore.

That's why cars don't use bolts anymore.. just stupid clip-on plastic.

Oh well...
cars company at least let you do the oil change, filter change and so on.
The day apple start doing away with HD and ram (maybe ram will be soldered) cannot be upgraded is the day they will start shooting themselves in the foot.

kobyh15

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
I could be wrong, but I think the price reductions yesterday on the rMBPs sounded the death knell for the cMBPs. I don't even know if there will be a Haswell cMBP.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
I could be wrong, but I think the price reductions yesterday on the rMBPs sounded the death knell for the cMBPs. I don't even know if there will be a Haswell cMBP.

Prices would have to come down even further. Probably sticking around for another generation or so. Unless a 15" Air came out that was the same price as the current 15" MBP...

kobyh15

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
Prices would have to come down even further. Probably sticking around for another generation or so. Unless a 15" Air came out that was the same price as the current 15" MBP...

You may be right. May get another generation out of the cMBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.