Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I like this one the best out of the set. It has a nice use of thirds and the kid has some interaction.

8598317433_42e10c3198_b.jpg

Your son's set is kinda blah. When I shoot kids that don't want to smile I get them to laugh. In you case I would talk to him while shooting, ask him about the girls in his class that he might like. Say something stupid to get him to smile. Or go the opposite and get them to be more model like

Out of the set this one I like. The angle is different. Composition is nice.

8583814088_e7c52e272e_b.jpg

In the last two sets I would continue practicing framing the shots. You shot every thing with your son at aperture f/2.8. Eventhough you got some nice bokeh, his face wasn't sharp.

The right side of his face is out of focus

8580960873_4ecf326dd0_b.jpg

Check out Jared's 5 minute tip on portraits.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFzkz8029Ls

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Your son's set is kinda blah. When I shoot kids that don't want to smile I get them to laugh. In you case I would talk to him while shooting, ask him about the girls in his class that he might like. Say something stupid to get him to smile. Or go the opposite and get them to be more model like

You're saying when shooting a kid, they should always smile? Interesting...

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
You're saying when shooting a kid, they should always smile? Interesting...

No I just thought there should be some energy in the photo. Kids have a natural energy in their faces. I know your kid should have more facial expressions than just that one. Smile, yes, whether it's in the eyes or mouth. Show a little more diversity.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
No I just thought there should be some energy in the photo. Kids have a natural energy in their faces. I know your kid should have more facial expressions than just that one. Smile, yes, whether it's in the eyes or mouth. Show a little more diversity.

Oh, I see. Here I am thinking that a "set" of photos are meant to be similar.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.