Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brettO5

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2012
As the title suggests, the remote app on both my iphone and ipad is only detecting one of my AppleTV's. I'm not quite sure how I can get it to see both???

Cheers, Brett

brettO5

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2012
Did you add a new remote in your AppleTV settings?

No I didn't. Was I supposed to?

When I added a new ATV to the house, the remote app stopped working on the existing ATV and only started working on the new ATV.

I'll check out adding a new remote in the ATV Settings.

Cheers, Brett

brettO5

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2012
hmmm... This didn't help unfortunately. I've even totally restored my ATV back to factory.

brettO5

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2012
Have just confirmed that the remote app only seems to work when the ATV is connected via WiFi. As soon as it switches to ethernet connection, Remote App can no longer detect the ATV.

institute

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
I used to have issues like this until I set up DHCP reservations on my router for both ATVs on my network. It seemed that Home Sharing would lose track of an ATV with out that.

I have also found the latest iTunes update (11.0.4) has made Home Sharing much more stable.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Have just confirmed that the remote app only seems to work when the ATV is connected via WiFi. As soon as it switches to ethernet connection, Remote App can no longer detect the ATV.

Weird. Can you still airplay to that ATV from your iPhone when it's connected via Ethernet? Or is it totally invisible from the phone (not just Remote app)?

If it's not visible at all to the iPhone, check your router config - it's possible that you have your wifi and your Ethernet networks on separate subnets (which Bonjour won't handle).

brettO5

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2012
Weird. Can you still airplay to that ATV from your iPhone when it's connected via Ethernet? Or is it totally invisible from the phone (not just Remote app)?

If it's not visible at all to the iPhone, check your router config - it's possible that you have your wifi and your Ethernet networks on separate subnets (which Bonjour won't handle).

I haven't tested Airplay. I think they are on different subnets though. WiFi is 255.255.255.0 and ethernet is 255.255.0.0

This gives me something else to try.

Cheers, Brett

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.