Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazyn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
Hello,
I've just bought a powered USB hub for a MacBook. I'd like to use two external HD (one of which is just used for storage) and I was wondering if I had to power these two HD.
I don't want to do anything stupid and kill a HD!
Thanks.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Depends on the HDs and, to a degree, the hub you've bought.

However, you won't do any damage - if there's not enough power, they simply won't mount...

zObsidian

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2010
Every USB hub that I have seen are powered (supplies power to the devices you plug into it). You might be able to check the max amount of power it supplies by checking for any wattage marks on the hub or power adapter and match it with what the hard drive power requirements are.

Generally speaking though, most hubs are designed to provide enough power to each individual device so it should work fine.

lazyn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
Thanks for the replies. I will check that.

However, you won't do any damage - if there's not enough power, they simply won't mount...

That's the opposite I'm afraid of. Would too much current do any damage?

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Thanks for the replies. I will check that.

That's the opposite I'm afraid of. Would too much current do any damage?

No, the device will only take as much as is required. Almost any powered (as in AC adapter to wall) would be able to power a couple bus powered drives no problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.