Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Apr 29, 2013, 07:51 AM   #1
Andeavor
macrumors 6502

Just when you think you've lost faith in humanity - this happens

Isn't that sweet. So much hate and sorrow in our world (how many bombs were set off in the last few days?) but there's always the random display of human dignity. And thank heavens for YouTube to share those moments with each other across the world.

Has any stranger ever helped you in the streets before? Well, you can't really call it helping, but once I dropped a 20 dollar bill while bristly walking through the streets of New York, when a young man ran after me giving my money back. I was honestly surprised.

It was one of those moments where you just know, it's good to be human.
Andeavor is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2013, 08:10 AM   #2
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

It's a lovely video.

Unfortunately not all good Samaritan acts work out so well...for the Samaritans.

Many years ago, my date and I came upon a street person in seizure. It became clear it was not just a simple tonic-clonic (grand mal) seizure, but status epilepticus...a very dangerous situation. My date ( a nurse) and I tried to do what we could to help...roll him on his side, etc.

This occurred before cell phone were ubiquitous, and someone ran to find a phone. Along came a police officer, who told my date and I to go away, he was just a bum, and he would call for a police wagon to take him to the police station. We tried to explain the dire nature of the situation, but he was having none of it, and threatened to bust us if we didn't leave.

The good Samaritans in the video were wonderful...I wish more of that kind of behavior occurred, and when it does there is support from local authorities.

Thanks for posting...
Old Apr 29, 2013, 08:32 AM   #3
thehustleman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andeavor View Post
YouTube: video

Isn't that sweet. So much hate and sorrow in our world (how many bombs were set off in the last few days?) but there's always the random display of human dignity. And thank heavens for YouTube to share those moments with each other across the world.

Has any stranger ever helped you in the streets before? Well, you can't really call it helping, but once I dropped a 20 dollar bill while bristly walking through the streets of New York, when a young man ran after me giving my money back. I was honestly surprised.

It was one of those moments where you just know, it's good to be human.
I like that

Unfortunately here in the us they sue good samaritans in some instances
thehustleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2013, 09:12 AM   #4
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehustleman View Post
I like that

Unfortunately here in the us they sue good samaritans in some instances
Some cases yes. Most cases, no. If you're trained for CPR (example) and someone dies in your hands, you're protected.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 09:38 AM   #5
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
Some cases yes. Most cases, no. If you're trained for CPR (example) and someone dies in your hands, you're protected.
Most people aren't CPR trained, personally I would be hesitant to touch anyone who has just fell, I would call for the ambulance and just tell them to stay still if they were unable to get up under their own power.

There are obvious reasons why you would need to move someone, if they fell into the subway tracks or on a street with traffic perhaps.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:18 AM   #6
snberk103
macrumors 603

I haven't lost my faith in humanity at all. The video was very sweet... but if you look around you see this happen all the time. Just not usually with a helmet cam. People are, generally, helpful and will help those around them in need, in my experience.

I believe we too often obsess on the exceptions, and forget the scores of times that people help us out. Last friday we were at a pub - a regular pub (with rather exceptional beer) - and watched a server race out and run down a couple of guests who had already gotten down the block. They had forgotten their takeout box, it turned out.

There were just 2 people who caused all that mayhem in Boston recently. There were hundreds of people who in the minutes and seconds after the blasts rushed into a potential danger zone to aid those were injured. This happens all the time.

Just my hippie dippie two cents....
Old Apr 29, 2013, 06:17 PM   #7
ijohn.8.80
macrumors 65816

That was touching to see.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 07:37 PM   #8
Grey Beard
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Grey Beard
That brought a smile to my sad old face.

KGB
Old Apr 29, 2013, 08:40 PM   #9
Roller
macrumors 65816

Great video, and a refreshing change. Thanks.
Roller is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 05:49 AM   #10
maflynn

Nice video and shows that some people are caring and helpful

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion