Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:44 PM   #1
chrsvv
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Is there a way to restore to an earlier date like in windows

I never set up time machine because I thought it was like Windows Restore, where you would just open up the application and be done with it; not having to set something up and use a external harddrive.


Is there anyway to restore to an earlier date cause a very very important file got overwritten

I dont care if it cost $5,000 it is extremely important

Last edited by chrsvv; Feb 28, 2013 at 02:55 PM.
chrsvv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:46 PM   #2
Sky Blue
macrumors 604
 
Sky Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
nope
Sky Blue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:48 PM   #3
chrsvv
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Would it be possible for a file recovery service to get the previous file im willing to pay whatever to get the information back its that important
chrsvv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:11 PM   #4
benwiggy
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsvv View Post
I never set up time machine because I thought it was like Windows Restore, where you would just open up the application and be done with it; not having to set something up and use a external harddrive.
Is there anyway to restore to an earlier date cause a very very important file got overwritten
I dont care if it cost $5,000 it is extremely important
Time Machine can restore any or all your files to any given date -- that's exactly what it's for. You plug in a drive, and turn it on. That's all the "setting up" there is.
It's on an external drive because if it was the same drive as the source data, you wouldn't have any files when the drive failed. The whole point of a backup is that one failure doesn't take down everything.

Sadly, I suspect that overwriting the file, rather than deleting it, will have …. well, over-written the data. If you want to try data recovery, stop using the drive immediately (as new writes will be able to use that 'free space'). Then try data recovery software, or take it to some expensive disk recovery professionals. And you may have to pay the price you quoted.

I take it that you weren't using ANY backup strategy at all, then? Backups exist for a reason: you need them, and you will lose files without them.
benwiggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:45 PM   #5
chrsvv
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggy View Post
Time Machine can restore any or all your files to any given date -- that's exactly what it's for. You plug in a drive, and turn it on. That's all the "setting up" there is.
It's on an external drive because if it was the same drive as the source data, you wouldn't have any files when the drive failed. The whole point of a backup is that one failure doesn't take down everything.

Sadly, I suspect that overwriting the file, rather than deleting it, will have . well, over-written the data. If you want to try data recovery, stop using the drive immediately (as new writes will be able to use that 'free space'). Then try data recovery software, or take it to some expensive disk recovery professionals. And you may have to pay the price you quoted.

I take it that you weren't using ANY backup strategy at all, then? Backups exist for a reason: you need them, and you will lose files without them.

Yes I was not using anything with the computer due to not using it often maybe once every couple of months and it has never been connected to an external hard drive or even had a flash drive in it; the only thing that has ever been plugged into the computer is the power adapter

The problem stems from an application crashing and taking all of the data of that app with it. Never had a issue with the computer ever before them
chrsvv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:52 PM   #6
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603
 
Jessica Lares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsvv View Post
Yes I was not using anything with the computer due to not using it often maybe once every couple of months and it has never been connected to an external hard drive or even had a flash drive in it; the only thing that has ever been plugged into the computer is the power adapter

The problem stems from an application crashing and taking all of the data of that app with it. Never had a issue with the computer ever before them
What application is it? Did you actually SAVE the file?
__________________
Have You Hugged Your Mac Today?
Daily Expressions | iMac G4 | Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro | iPod Nano (7G) | iPod Shuffle (2012) | iPad Mini | iPod Touch (5G) | iPhone 5S
Jessica Lares is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:15 PM   #7
chrsvv
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
What application is it? Did you actually SAVE the file?
Chrome

I saved nothing. The browser was open I feel asleep and when awoke all data was gone from chrome.

I have went through the library and application support folders and its as if chrome was installed today
chrsvv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:40 PM   #8
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603
 
Jessica Lares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsvv View Post
Chrome

I saved nothing. The browser was open I feel asleep and when awoke all data was gone from chrome.

I have went through the library and application support folders and its as if chrome was installed today
If you had a Google account connected, all you'd have to do is sign back in for all your bookmarks.
__________________
Have You Hugged Your Mac Today?
Daily Expressions | iMac G4 | Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro | iPod Nano (7G) | iPod Shuffle (2012) | iPad Mini | iPod Touch (5G) | iPhone 5S
Jessica Lares is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:46 PM   #9
chrsvv
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
If you had a Google account connected, all you'd have to do is sign back in for all your bookmarks.
Was not connected to a google account
chrsvv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 01:52 AM   #10
benwiggy
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsvv View Post
Chrome.
I saved nothing. The browser was open I feel asleep and when awoke all data was gone from chrome.
So, what valuable data did you lose from a browser? If it's just bookmarks, then it's not as if you've lost those pages forever, you can just Google them and re-bookmark.
benwiggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC