Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Mar 7, 2013, 07:05 AM   #1
Bemidjiboy
macrumors newbie

Which new camcorder should I get?

I'm upgrading the electronics in the entire house (!) and this includes a new camcorder for home videos. I've used a Sony Handycam with an internal hard drive in the past and I think I'd like a camcorder with the SD cards now. I assume they would transfer faster into a new computer. Is that right? I was looking at something like the Canon Vixia: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-VIXIA-Im.../dp/B006UMMPMI Any thoughts on camcorder or, for that matter, which Mac to pair it with for efficient iMovie editing?
Bemidjiboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 06:13 PM   #2
daybreak
macrumors 6502

I think you have done your research and the market is so saturated with choice. The model you looking at, is the same as i use but my version is a Sony.
It is always best to go to a shop and have a look at a camcorder instead of buying from the internet blind. Dont buy second hand camcorders.
Panasonic are also good.
For fun yours is o.k but check on Apple web site if it supports your model.
daybreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 06:40 PM   #3
Artful Dodger
macrumors 68020

I will add that no matter what camera you purchase, make sure that the battery can be upgraded and to a good size with the benefit of another brand other than Canon or Sony per se.

My moms camera can only accept the Canon and only a 2 hr. battery which sucks if they are out walking around and need just a bit more.

I have in the past went to my local camera shop and brought a SD card with me, recorded a few minutes of footage and then went home to test it out (the card). Some had good colors and were pretty steady and a few really needed help with one or both areas. Also test out the built-in mic and see how that is. I know my new Sony is miles ahead of my Canon unit I had so for family events if I really don't want to bring or even have my external mic it's fine.

Good luck!
Old Mar 8, 2013, 06:14 PM   #4
Dc2006ster
macrumors member

I agree with the Artful Dodger about testing. When I do that I also test the ability of the camera to maintain focus while panning and zooming. Testing will also allow you the opportunity to see if your comp and software can handle files from that camera.
Dc2006ster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 06:35 PM   #5
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemidjiboy View Post
I'm upgrading the electronics in the entire house (!) and this includes a new camcorder for home videos. I've used a Sony Handycam with an internal hard drive in the past and I think I'd like a camcorder with the SD cards now. I assume they would transfer faster into a new computer. Is that right? I was looking at something like the Canon Vixia: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-VIXIA-Im.../dp/B006UMMPMI Any thoughts on camcorder or, for that matter, which Mac to pair it with for efficient iMovie editing?
I have one of the canon vixias. I forget which model. It works great but I never use it. I just wind up taking video with my still camera or even with my phone. But I do like the canon.
Mac'nCheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 04:44 PM   #6
Zwhaler
macrumors 603

That's a great quality camcorder, the S20 is good and the G10 is even better
Zwhaler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 03:29 PM   #7
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020

Check here first and make sure it's compatible with iMovie.
http://help.apple.com/imovie/cameras...tml?lang=en_US
Old Mar 11, 2013, 04:34 AM   #8
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwhaler View Post
That's a great quality camcorder, the S20 is good and the G10 is even better
Another vote for the HF G10. 30mm almost-wideangle (which is VERY uncommon in this price category) and huuuuuuge pixels meaning great low-light performance.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Braine View Post
Check here first and make sure it's compatible with iMovie.
http://help.apple.com/imovie/cameras...tml?lang=en_US
Note that

- AVCHD reocrdings can directly be imported into iMovie

- you can still quickly remux them into MP4's via iVI or ClipWrap.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 07:40 AM   #9
VideoStar
macrumors newbie

The new Canon HF G20 looks interesting.
VideoStar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 01:33 PM   #10
Zwhaler
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoStar View Post
The new Canon HF G20 looks interesting.
I didn't know about that. My vote for OP would definitely be the G20!

Here's one of my videos showing the G10 in low light
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwfhFw7wVAI&hd=1

Another showing it in good light (first 3 short clips are on the S20, the interview segment in the Porsche racing shop was shot with G10)
https://vimeo.com/43291371

Last edited by Zwhaler; Mar 11, 2013 at 01:38 PM.
Zwhaler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 08:11 AM   #11
pavelbure
macrumors 6502a

I just bought the m500.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-VIXIA-Im...&keywords=m500

You can save yourself some cash by buying this over the m50. They are the same camera, the only difference is the m500 does not have any internal memory or wifi.

It works great in low light. Only thing I don't like about it is, I wish it zoomed out a little bit more. I find I have to take a step or 2 back to include everything. I'll take great low light performance over this.

check out http://www.camcorderinfo.com/ratings...e=Basic+Budget
pavelbure is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 03:01 PM   #12
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavelbure View Post
It works great in low light. Only thing I don't like about it is, I wish it zoomed out a little bit more. I find I have to take a step or 2 back to include everything.
The Achilles' heel of cheap cameras is the lack of a (semi-)wideangle lens. If a camera is not explicitly stated to have a wideangle lens by the manufacturers, it generally starts at around 38-40mm equiv.

Unfortunately, prosumer cameras with considerably wider lens cost significantly more. For example, the $1100 HF G20 starts at 30.4mm. It's still much narrower than the 24mm of many P&S cameras (or the 28mm wideangle of most DSLR kit lens) but the IQ is much better in most other respects than that of any still cameras, except for maybe the Panasonic GH series. (But nothing else.)
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 03:03 PM   #13
daybreak
macrumors 6502

I hope you done your research and it is compatible with you're editing software?.
Zoom is not everything.
daybreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video