Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
I'm thinking about buying a base model i Mac 2012 with 16 gb of RAM next month. I have the Bose companion speakers that I'm using currently with my dell. Will these Bose companion speakers sound better with the i Mac? I'm thinking it's the sound card that was used with the computer. :confused:

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I'm thinking about buying a base model i Mac 2012 with 16 gb of RAM next month. I have the Bose companion speakers that I'm using currently with my dell. Will these Bose companion speakers sound better with the i Mac? I'm thinking it's the sound card that was used with the computer. :confused:

I have a set of Bose that I got at a garage sale and they are the middle model 2.0 system. They sound just okay given that Bose is really not that good.

You never stated what you are playing as that too makes a difference on how any speaker will sound. I doubt they would sound better unless they are playing better quality files. You may want to consider other speakers that will give you much better sound such as the HK soundsticks, Klipsch 2.1 etc. If you are into good sound, cool factor and have the bucks, try the Focal offerings or go a step further and get the Orb offering for computers (speakers plus a mini amp).

determined09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
I have a set of Bose that I got at a garage sale and they are the middle model 2.0 system. They sound just okay given that Bose is really not that good.

You never stated what you are playing as that too makes a difference on how any speaker will sound. I doubt they would sound better unless they are playing better quality files. You may want to consider other speakers that will give you much better sound such as the HK soundsticks, Klipsch 2.1 etc. If you are into good sound, cool factor and have the bucks, try the Focal offerings or go a step further and get the Orb offering for computers (speakers plus a mini amp).

thanks for the tip. I thought about the HK sound sticks. Just listening to videos from YouTube.com and other videos on yahoo.com. Playing internet radio, too. the speakers just sound muffled.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
thanks for the tip. I thought about the HK sound sticks. Just listening to videos from YouTube.com and other videos on yahoo.com. Playing internet radio, too. the speakers just sound muffled.

Are you referring to the Sound Sticks or the Bose sounding muffled? If the former, I am surprised you got that problem and would consider checking to see if your output is set up correctly. The Sticks are known for clarity.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Are you referring to the Sound Sticks or the Bose sounding muffled? If the former, I am surprised you got that problem and would consider checking to see if your output is set up correctly. The Sticks are known for clarity.
The Bose speakers. I think I need to buy the Hk sticks.

Last edited:

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
The Bose speakers. I think I need to buy the Hk sticks.

The HK Sticks are a good choice and often rate in the top 5 for years in their price catagory. You may also want to check into the Klipch 2.1.

Just remember, that often the source of the sound (music files and links) can be the fault of muffled or less than stellar sound and thus (as example) a CD quality song will sound better than a song played from youtube.

Enjoy!

determined09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
The HK Sticks are a good choice and often rate in the top 5 for years in their price catagory. You may also want to check into the Klipch 2.1.

Just remember, that often the source of the sound (music files and links) can be the fault of muffled or less than stellar sound and thus (as example) a CD quality song will sound better than a song played from youtube.

Enjoy!
Thanks but my mother's dell computer sounds just as bad,too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.