Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smeg36

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
For the last few days my iPhone 5 has randomly started making a whistle sound, like a referee whistle, and does a short vibrate with it. I can't for the life of me figure out what it's supposed to be. I've checked all my notifications, and even went through all the notification sounds available, and it's nothing I can find. I checked all the different apps in the notification center settings, and tried searching, but can't for the life of me figure out what's causing this brief whistle sound and vibration.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Have you reset your phone? (Hold Power & Home buttons simultaneously, releasing both when the apple appears on the black screen.) Sometimes that's all it takes to get rid of a glitch.

rshroff2

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
Chicago, IL
Was there any adverse weather in your area? If you're on iOS 6, there was a severe weather alert built in. So it might have been that. I remember it went off once for me and it was really loud and alarming. If its not that then I have no idea what else it could be. Sorry if I'm of no help. #

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
My iPhone 5 randomly vibrates a couple of times each day. No notifications are shown on the screen. Frankly I can't be bothered to troubleshoot it - there are just too many possibilities for the cause.

greaneto

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
I haven't heard of anyone else having trouble either.
a15

smeg36

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
Have you reset your phone? (Hold Power & Home buttons simultaneously, releasing both when the apple appears on the black screen.) Sometimes that's all it takes to get rid of a glitch.

Yes, I have. That's always the first suggestion I give when someone has a problem too.

Was there any adverse weather in your area? If you're on iOS 6, there was a severe weather alert built in. So it might have been that. I remember it went off once for me and it was really loud and alarming. If its not that then I have no idea what else it could be. Sorry if I'm of no help. #

Nope, it's been sunny and beautiful.

smeg36

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
OP, your phone is giving you a compliment, you're looking pretty good these days.

That sure is nice of it, but I wish it would just say so instead of beat around the bush. It seems like it happens around 8pm or so, a little after I get home from work. Still can't figure out what or why though.

smeg36

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
The whistle sound is the default sound for a tweet on twitter. Have u recently activated a twitter acct?

It isn't like a whistle a person makes with their mouth (like the twitter sound). It's a short burst, like a referee blowing a whistle at a sporting event.

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
It isn't like a whistle a person makes with their mouth (like the twitter sound). It's a short burst, like a referee blowing a whistle at a sporting event.

Do you have any sportscenter apps or other sports-related apps on your device? That could be the notification that a game has started.

smeg36

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
Do you have any sportscenter apps or other sports-related apps on your device? That could be the notification that a game has started.

Only MLB, and there aren't any games for that anytime soon.

smeg36

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
What other Appstore apps do you have on your device?

Google Maps
Weather Channel
Words With Friends
Angry Birds Star Wars
Bad Piggies
Walking dead
Stub Hub
Amazon
c-Mobile
Speed Test
MDC Mobile
Red Boc
IMDB
The Verge
Gmail
iBooks
Kindle
Flashlight
Apple Remote
VLC Remote
Find Friends
Find my iphone
Netflix
Podcasts
VLC
Shazam
Pandora
Chase
Citibank
Discover
MapmyRun
Facebook
Twitter

smeg36

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
I finally figured out what was causing this. It was MapMyRun. A friend recently started using it as well, and the sound was whenever he finished a workout. There was no other notification until they updated the app this week. Then a popup notification accompanied the sound, so I was able to figure it out.

Reactions: willmtaylor

steffic

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2013
thank you!

I had the same whistle sound and it was driving me nuts! Glad you figured it out for me :rolleyes:

Msamy

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2015
For the last few days my iPhone 5 has randomly started making a whistle sound, like a referee whistle, and does a short vibrate with it. I can't for the life of me figure out what it's supposed to be. I've checked all my notifications, and even went through all the notification sounds available, and it's nothing I can find. I checked all the different apps in the notification center settings, and tried searching, but can't for the life of me figure out what's causing this brief whistle sound and vibration.

Msamy

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2015
I know your post is old but it has been happening to me as well. A coach like whistle and a quick vibration at 8pm. Weird!!! I seen yours was at 8pm also. Creeps me out. I don't havemapmywalk app so I'm not sure what is causing it.

smeg36

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
I haven't had this problem since I discovered what was causing it. The only thing I can think of is one of your apps is causing it without notifying you which one. Sorry I can't help more.

grhancock

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2015
I know your post is old but it has been happening to me as well. A coach like whistle and a quick vibration at 8pm. Weird!!! I seen yours was at 8pm also. Creeps me out. I don't havemapmywalk app so I'm not sure what is causing it.

The SEVEN workout app whistles every night at 8pm. Do you have this app? It was driving me crazy until I just figured it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.