Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Oct 11, 2013, 09:07 AM   #26
Huntn
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Goff View Post
http://www.salon.com/2013/10/07/mich...imes_are_near/

And people wonder why rational people think she's a crazy. Remember, she did pretty good in the primary last time.
Sad reflection of our citizens...
Huntn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 10:15 AM   #27
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by localoid View Post
If they truly believed end times were nigh, you'd think they'd give away all their earthly possessions and go to the nearest high hill to wait for Jesus' return.
Or perhaps move to Switzerland?

In any case, the peons in these sagas have done exactly that (sold possessions and waited) from time to time. Satirized in Chaucer, such thinking and actions have reappeared from time (e.g. Millerites). Harold Camping was the most recent example of someone making exact date predictions:

Quote:
Camping gained notoriety owing to his prediction that the Rapture would take place on May 21, 2011, and that the end of the world would subsequently take place five months later on October 21, 2011. Followers of Camping claimed that around 200 million people (approximately 2.8% of the world's 2011 population) would be raptured, and publicized the prediction in numerous countries.

Reuters reported on May 21 that the curtains were drawn in Camping's house in Alameda, California, and that no one was answering the door. Camping emerged from his home on May 22, saying he was "flabbergasted" that the Rapture had not occurred. He stated that he was "looking for answers," and would say more when he returned to work on May 23.

On May 23, 2011, in an appearance before the press, Camping stated he had reinterpreted his prophecy. In his revised claim, May 21 was a "spiritual" judgment day, and the physical Rapture would occur on October 21, 2011, simultaneously with the destruction of the world. Camping said his company would not return money donated by followers to publicize the failed May 21 prediction, stating: "We’re not at the end. Why would we return it?"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Camping

Sadly, a few of his followers sold all their possessions, donated all their money, and waited. As far as I know, they never got refunds.

All information indicates that Harold Camping really believed 2011 was it. With Michele Bachmann, it is pretty difficult to tell the difference between what she believes, and what she is selling.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2013, 04:37 AM   #28
localoid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpy!$4g3cwk View Post
Or perhaps move to Switzerland?

In any case, the peons in these sagas have done exactly that (sold possessions and waited) from time to time. ...
Yes... from time to time... Like clockwork, since 33 A.D./C.E.

Quote:
... With Michele Bachmann, it is pretty difficult to tell the difference between what she believes, and what she is selling.
There's just something about Michele Bachmann that reminds me of Fritz Lang's Metropolis.

Maybe it's Bachmann's crazy eyes... combined with her crazy expressions, and actions. She reminds me of the evil robotic doppelgänger that replaced the pure and innocent Maria, the film's heroine.

Thumb resize.

I can't help but wonder if Bachmann is a robot, programmed and created by some mad scientist at Oral Roberts University.

And if so, does that mean there's a pure and innocent Michele B. being held hostage in some secret lab somewhere?

Thumb resize.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 05:20 AM   #29
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
I guess I just don't understand zealots.
They weren't zealots. Quite ordinary people can behave like genocidal monsters given a half-decent excuse, cf Milgram experiment.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment
skunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2013, 08:18 AM   #30
Michael Goff
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
They weren't zealots. Quite ordinary people can behave like genocidal monsters given a half-decent excuse, cf Milgram experiment.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment
That study scares me a little.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 08:51 AM   #31
ElectronGuru
macrumors 6502a

Free will isn't free, it's very very expensive.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 09:02 AM   #32
MrWillie
macrumors 65816

Quote:
The fact that she's a politician who helps create policy makes her different.
Quote:
If you really believe something, why wouldn't you base your policy on it?
Your BFF Barack claims to be a devout Christian, but that's okay because he's a Democrat... Did I get that right ?
Old Oct 12, 2013, 09:13 AM   #33
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillie View Post
Your BFF Barack claims to be a devout Christian, but that's okay because he's a Democrat... Did I get that right ?

Yeah, that's the same thing.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 09:15 AM   #34
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
I'm afraid you'll have to rephrase that for the benefit of those who are tangentially-challenged. I have no idea what you're trying to insinuate.
skunk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2013, 09:32 AM   #35
MrWillie
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Yeah, that's the same thing.
She is a devout Christian, Our current President claims to also be one. How is that not the same, other than one is a Rep and the other is a Dem ?

Quote:
I'm afraid you'll have to rephrase that for the benefit of those who are tangentially-challenged. I have no idea what you're trying to insinuate.
That our current Pres is a claimed devout Christian, but none of the Liberals want to make fun of him.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 09:41 AM   #36
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
She is a devout Christian, Our current President claims to also be one. How is that not the same, other than one is a Rep and the other is a Dem ?

That our current Pres is a claimed devout Christian, but none of the Liberals want to make fun of him.

If Obama was bat **** crazy like Bachmann and constantly using his religion or the bible to make ridiculous claims, I'd be first in line to criticize him. Can't believe I'm even answering your assertion that they are the same other than party.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 09:47 AM   #37
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
The difference is that one of them is sane, knows some history, and can put a series of thoughts together into a logical progression.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2013, 09:55 AM   #38
Michael Goff
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Obama is not my BFF, but I also don't have a problem with ALL Christians. Obama isn't out there saying that he can't wait for the end times and he isn't making policy based on his belief of the end times coming. There is a huge difference.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 11:16 AM   #39
MrWillie
macrumors 65816

Quote:
The difference is that one of them is sane, knows some history, and can put a series of thoughts together into a logical progression.
I don't think Obama is insane, just misguided.

Quote:
Obama is not my BFF, but I also don't have a problem with ALL Christians. Obama isn't out there saying that he can't wait for the end times and he isn't making policy based on his belief of the end times coming. There is a huge difference.
And what policy did she make, or try to pass, that is based on her belief that we are living in the end times ? Sounds to me like pausing immigration and immigration reform is based on facts and sound observations.

It seams that a lot of people on this forum are quick to place labels on people and enjoy trying to mock those with different views instead of embracing those differences.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 11:42 AM   #40
Michael Goff
macrumors 68030

Quote:

And what policy did she make, or try to pass, that is based on her belief that we are living in the end times ? Sounds to me like pausing immigration and immigration reform is based on facts and sound observations.

It seams that a lot of people on this forum are quick to place labels on people and enjoy trying to mock those with different views instead of embracing those differences.
Or support*

90% of congressmen never make a single piece of legislature. But if they were to support legislature, or foreign action, then it's just as bad. But, hey, if you don't think she's saying that she wants to arm the Syrian Rebels because the end times ... we're at an impasse. You can say "she didn't specifically say that HAHA" and we'll never get anywhere.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 12:35 PM   #41
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:

Tell me which of these views you embrace?

Quote:
"I don't know how much God has to do to get the attention of the politicians. We've had an earthquake; we've had a hurricane. He said, 'Are you going to start listening to me here?' Listen to the American people because the American people are roaring right now. They know government is on a morbid obesity diet and we've got to rein in the spending." –Rep. Michele Bachmann, suggesting at a presidential campaign event in Florida that the 2011 East Coast earthquake and hurricane was a message from God (Aug. 2011)

How about this?

Quote:
"I will tell you that I had a mother last night come up to me here in Tampa, Florida, after the debate. She told me that her little daughter took that vaccine, that injection, and she suffered from mental retardation thereafter." –Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN), on the HPV vaccine, Fox News interview, Sept. 12, 2011

Or this?

Quote:
"I wish the American media would take a great look at the views of the people in Congress and find out: Are they pro-America or anti-America?" -Rep. Michelle Bachmann, calling for a new McCarthyism, Oct. 2008

Does this float your boat?

Quote:
"Carbon dioxide is portrayed as harmful. But there isn't even one study that can be produced that shows that carbon dioxide is a harmful gas." -Rep. Michelle Bachmann, April, 2009

What about this?

Quote:
"But we also know that the very founders that wrote those documents worked tirelessly until slavery was no more in the United States. ... I think it is high time that we recognize the contribution of our forbearers who worked tirelessly -- men like John Quincy Adams, who would not rest until slavery was extinguished in the country." -Rep. Michele Bachmann, botching American history while speaking at an Iowan's for Tax Relief event in January 2011. The Founding Fathers did not work to end slavery, and John Quincy Adams was not one of the Founding Fathers.

Do you embrace this?

Quote:
"The president … by executive order" could grant voting rights to illegal immigrants who are newly legalized under pending legislation.

Which of these do you think I should embrace?
Old Oct 12, 2013, 02:20 PM   #42
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Yes. The two of them are exactly the same, minus the R & D at the end of their name. You're not serious, are you?
Old Oct 12, 2013, 02:55 PM   #43
localoid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
... It seams that a lot of people on this forum are quick to place labels on people and enjoy trying to mock those with different views instead of embracing those differences.
I don't care what radical fundamentalist Christian extremists do or say in their churches or at home, etc., but some of them don't seem willing to mind their own business and practice their religion in private.

While I don't agree with everything Bill Maher says, I think he's spot on in what he said about Rep. Michele Bachmann and Justice Antonin Scalia both publicly addressing their concerns about the end of days and the devil (respectively) in the same week.

Bill Maher: Antonin Scalia And Michele Bachmann Are 'The Exact Same Idiot'
Old Oct 17, 2013, 10:37 PM   #44
mudslag
macrumors regular

Quote:
Obama doesn't claim god talks to him and tell what to do. Obama doesn't also govern from the bible. So there is a big different besides just the politics leanings.

Quote:

FTR, there are plenty of liberal Christians, the Right doesn't have ownership over religion. Second, when you act nutty because of your religion, chances are you'll be mad fun of because of that, regardless of your political views.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues