Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:00 PM   #1
rwhit11
macrumors newbie

Gen 1 not booting

My atv gen 1 has stopped booting up. The little light just flashes off and on and nothing shows up on my tv screen. Can some one give me some direction on what to look for?
rwhit11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:09 PM   #2
blueroom
macrumors 603

Probably a HDD crash.
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:06 PM   #3
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Usually, this means the hard drive has either conked or has corrupted.

Assuming you've tried unplugging, wait 30 secs, plugging back in and similar, the typical steps would be to pull the drive, put it in an IDE enclosure, hook it up to a Mac and see if it can be repaired. If not, you can try formatting it to see if the drive is OK. If so, you will need Dynaflash's or similar tool to reformat it for TV. See links within: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...aflash+dropbox

Otherwise, you can get on Ebay or craigslist and order a new TV drive formatted for TV. I upgraded to a 320GB drive via Ebay and all worked well.

I will say that Dynaflash's ATVcloner has been very helpful over the years. In my experience, the TV1 drive just becomes corrupted over time. I had your problem about once every year or so. ATVcloner revives what seems to be a dead drive by reformatting it. I used it again and again until I finally sold the TV1 to switch to the "3".
HobeSoundDarryl is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:21 PM   #4
cwaddell2002
macrumors member

My original ATV1 had a video card failure... It wouldn't boot and I took it to the apple store, they did a couple tests and determined that it wasn't the hard drive but the video card. They gave it back to me - it now sits on a shelf... So it might be worth having an apple store check it out, there are apparently some diagnostics they can run by plugging into it...

good luck!
cwaddell2002 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:09 PM   #5
rwhit11
macrumors newbie

HD bad

I have tested my HD and I am getting that it cannot repair and wants to reformat the drive. How can I get the os back on after a format. I have tried the atvcloner but I run ML and it wont open. I have ATV Flash will that work or how can I get the ATV OS?
rwhit11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:23 PM   #6
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

I wasn't aware that ATVcloner doesn't work on the latest OS. Can you boot into an older version of the OS? If so, do that, use it to format and properly partition the drive.

If not, do you know anyone who has a Mac running an older version of the OS? Lots of people are still sticking with Snow Leopard.

Beyond that, you probably have to get something stronger than Disc Utility to "repair" the drive or you might want to start thinking about buying a replacement drive already formatted for TV1 (via Ebay/Craigs). If so, when it arrives, do a Super Duper or Carbon Copy backup and save that file. Then, when the drive becomes corrupt again, you can "restore" from that backup. You could also reformat the existing drive and then restore from that backup too (thus having a backup drive ready to go when the main drive goes down next time).

Last edited by HobeSoundDarryl; Dec 25, 2012 at 03:56 PM.
HobeSoundDarryl is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:30 PM   #7
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

afaik atvcloner does work on ML. I know it does work on Lion.
dynaflash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2014, 03:01 AM   #8
jimapple
macrumors newbie

Resirected Apple TV Gen1

Hi Guys,

I've had a Gen1 sitting around for a couple of years now. It stopped booting up, I replaced the HD, however this wasn't the issues. After reading this thread about the Video Card, I decided to use the old Oven trick and it LIVES AGAIN!

So I striped out the MB, placed it in the oven at 195C for 8mins and presto!
The RCA plugs have melted, but I don't use them so not a great loss.

http://www.overclockers.com/the-oven...-with-an-oven/
jimapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2014, 03:35 AM   #9
chrisl123
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimapple View Post
Hi Guys,

I've had a Gen1 sitting around for a couple of years now. It stopped booting up, I replaced the HD, however this wasn't the issues. After reading this thread about the Video Card, I decided to use the old Oven trick and it LIVES AGAIN!

So I striped out the MB, placed it in the oven at 195C for 8mins and presto!
The RCA plugs have melted, but I don't use them so not a great loss.

http://www.overclockers.com/the-oven...-with-an-oven/
Ooo, that seems dangerous.
On the bottom of the page, it says:

Quote:
No-one should attempt this in a household oven, for various reasons:

1. Both lead and tin are volatile when heated. Specifically, this means that lead oxide and other dangerous chemicals are emitted when lead is heated.

See:
http://www.sentryair.com/solder%20fume.htm

2. The fluxes used in production of modern electronics are designed to remove oxides very, very efficiently. They are NOT designed to be biocompatible. Small amounts of residue may still be on the board.

3. Boards may contain parts which will melt at the reflow temperature. These components are generally through-hole and added as a separate step.

So, basically, once you have completed this operation and (possibly) fixed your video card, BUY A NEW OVEN.

The other option is to buy a cheap toaster oven and use it only for reflowing – however, that’s cost prohibitive.
chrisl123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2014, 05:29 AM   #10
billhinge
macrumors newbie

I hadn't seen this before, my old ATV died and after completely taking it apart and checking connections I deduced it wasn't HD or PSU failure, symptoms were no TV output so I presumed it was a graphics card failure

In the end I bought a replacement s/h ATV
billhinge is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater