Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Mar 27, 2014, 03:16 AM   #176
Ifti
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
Newer MacBooks use hibernation more actively, rather than just as "insurance" in case the battery goes dead.

After some time asleep, the laptop will mostly shut down. This reduces battery drain when asleep. Wake up will be a bit slower, but still fast since SSDs are so quick. This whole setup permits your machine to sleep for a whole week and only lose a couple % of battery life, unlike older MacBooks where you'd lose the whole battery over a long weekend of being asleep!

Therefore, disabling hibernation is not recommended on more recent (post 2012) machines.
Very useful to know, thanks.
How do I reverse the tweak and turn hibernation back on?
Ifti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2014, 07:25 AM   #177
fotoroberto
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbachandouris View Post
I installed a Samsung EVO 840 in my mid 2010 MBP. The battery is new as Apple just replaced it. I installed Mavericks clean from a USB stick and restored backup from my Time Capsule.

You mentioned fan speed issues. I have iStatPro installed and it says my fan is running at 1998-2000 rpm. Should I be concerned. The EVO does not show up in its temp displays.

Battery life seems to be at least an hour worse. Don't notice much of a speed difference over my stock Hitachi.

Disabled local Time Machine Backups and used Trim Enable.
This is normal fan speed, 2000rpm is minimum...
Turn of all the background junk that you don't really need, incl. iStatPro,
they are main culprits for the instability and poor battery life...
alt click on the battery in menu, you should see a list of apps using significant energy... well, turn them off

Then after you cleaned your old junk reinstall system on top of the one you are using (NOT clean install) that should fix broken system files if any...

Go to root library and check launch daemons and agents, or you can use Etrecheck to find a possible problem, but this is all something experienced user should do anyway...

...do not use system "optimizers" and "cleaners" that you find around...
there are some great tools, but knowing what is what is hard earned, you probably don't want to go that path, it is easier not to use them...

If you switched from a Windows machine, you probably have many bad habits that are not needed or wanted on the Mac...

Some of those comments are for general audience, not that they are meant for You...
fotoroberto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2014, 09:00 AM   #178
jbachandouris
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoroberto View Post
This is normal fan speed, 2000rpm is minimum...
Turn of all the background junk that you don't really need, incl. iStatPro,
they are main culprits for the instability and poor battery life...
alt click on the battery in menu, you should see a list of apps using significant energy... well, turn them off

Then after you cleaned your old junk reinstall system on top of the one you are using (NOT clean install) that should fix broken system files if any...

Go to root library and check launch daemons and agents, or you can use Etrecheck to find a possible problem, but this is all something experienced user should do anyway...

...do not use system "optimizers" and "cleaners" that you find around...
there are some great tools, but knowing what is what is hard earned, you probably don't want to go that path, it is easier not to use them...

If you switched from a Windows machine, you probably have many bad habits that are not needed or wanted on the Mac...

Some of those comments are for general audience, not that they are meant for You...
I know that restoring from backup is not a clean install. I clearly stated that the OS was the only part that was a 'clean' install.

IStat Pro is a battery drain? Hadn't heard that. Nothing is on the list of apps using significant energy except Safari.

I use Oynx once a week. Not recommended.

Trim is enabled and hibernation is disabled. Any other ideas?
jbachandouris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:59 AM   #179
fotoroberto
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbachandouris View Post
I know that restoring from backup is not a clean install. I clearly stated that the OS was the only part that was a 'clean' install.

IStat Pro is a battery drain? Hadn't heard that. Nothing is on the list of apps using significant energy except Safari.

I use Oynx once a week. Not recommended.

Trim is enabled and hibernation is disabled. Any other ideas?
So, as I said before, now install Mavericks on top of all that, but "not clean install" so everything will be as it was with your settings and data, only possible corrupted system files will be fixed...
let it reindex itself afterwards... less than an hour
enable trim again

Before reinstallation You can even safe boot to clean caches and some other things, if they are corrupted.
this happens automatically on safe boot...

I used smcFanControl, but those menu bar every second refresh apps are wasting too much resources for what they are worth, iStat is no different, only more complicated.

Less is more, what ever background app you are running may cause instability...

Use Etrecheck to find what kernel extensions, launch agents or daemons you have running in the background...

You don't need to run Onyx once a week, do not run it at all, MacOS handles itself pretty fine without help from aside... sure, sometimes things get corrupted, but this is not a weekly rule...
fotoroberto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 03:59 PM   #180
hp79
macrumors newbie

Speaking about apps using cpu cycles, I found that Dropbox uses 0% while OneDrive and GoogleDrive uses 0.5% cpu. I only keep Dropbox autostart, and run the other two only when needed.

Also comparing VMware Fusion vs Parallels 8 (Parallels 9 is the latest version), Parallels 8 uses much less cpu compared to Fusion.

I agree, less is more. Sorry for being off topic.
hp79 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro