Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Newer MacBooks use hibernation more actively, rather than just as "insurance" in case the battery goes dead.

After some time asleep, the laptop will mostly shut down. This reduces battery drain when asleep. Wake up will be a bit slower, but still fast since SSDs are so quick. This whole setup permits your machine to sleep for a whole week and only lose a couple % of battery life, unlike older MacBooks where you'd lose the whole battery over a long weekend of being asleep!

Therefore, disabling hibernation is not recommended on more recent (post 2012) machines.

Very useful to know, thanks.
How do I reverse the tweak and turn hibernation back on?

fotoroberto

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2012
I installed a Samsung EVO 840 in my mid 2010 MBP. The battery is new as Apple just replaced it. I installed Mavericks clean from a USB stick and restored backup from my Time Capsule.

You mentioned fan speed issues. I have iStatPro installed and it says my fan is running at 1998-2000 rpm. Should I be concerned. The EVO does not show up in its temp displays.

Battery life seems to be at least an hour worse. Don't notice much of a speed difference over my stock Hitachi.

Disabled local Time Machine Backups and used Trim Enable.

This is normal fan speed, 2000rpm is minimum...
Turn of all the background junk that you don't really need, incl. iStatPro,
they are main culprits for the instability and poor battery life...
alt click on the battery in menu, you should see a list of apps using significant energy... well, turn them off

Then after you cleaned your old junk reinstall system on top of the one you are using (NOT clean install) that should fix broken system files if any...

Go to root library and check launch daemons and agents, or you can use Etrecheck to find a possible problem, but this is all something experienced user should do anyway...

...do not use system "optimizers" and "cleaners" that you find around...
there are some great tools, but knowing what is what is hard earned, you probably don't want to go that path, it is easier not to use them...

If you switched from a Windows machine, you probably have many bad habits that are not needed or wanted on the Mac...

Some of those comments are for general audience, not that they are meant for You... :D

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
This is normal fan speed, 2000rpm is minimum...
Turn of all the background junk that you don't really need, incl. iStatPro,
they are main culprits for the instability and poor battery life...
alt click on the battery in menu, you should see a list of apps using significant energy... well, turn them off

Then after you cleaned your old junk reinstall system on top of the one you are using (NOT clean install) that should fix broken system files if any...

Go to root library and check launch daemons and agents, or you can use Etrecheck to find a possible problem, but this is all something experienced user should do anyway...

...do not use system "optimizers" and "cleaners" that you find around...
there are some great tools, but knowing what is what is hard earned, you probably don't want to go that path, it is easier not to use them...

If you switched from a Windows machine, you probably have many bad habits that are not needed or wanted on the Mac...

Some of those comments are for general audience, not that they are meant for You... :D

I know that restoring from backup is not a clean install. I clearly stated that the OS was the only part that was a 'clean' install.

IStat Pro is a battery drain? Hadn't heard that. Nothing is on the list of apps using significant energy except Safari.

I use Oynx once a week. Not recommended.

Trim is enabled and hibernation is disabled. Any other ideas?

fotoroberto

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2012
I know that restoring from backup is not a clean install. I clearly stated that the OS was the only part that was a 'clean' install.

IStat Pro is a battery drain? Hadn't heard that. Nothing is on the list of apps using significant energy except Safari.

I use Oynx once a week. Not recommended.

Trim is enabled and hibernation is disabled. Any other ideas?

So, as I said before, now install Mavericks on top of all that, but "not clean install" so everything will be as it was with your settings and data, only possible corrupted system files will be fixed...
let it reindex itself afterwards... less than an hour
enable trim again

Before reinstallation You can even safe boot to clean caches and some other things, if they are corrupted.
this happens automatically on safe boot...

I used smcFanControl, but those menu bar every second refresh apps are wasting too much resources for what they are worth, iStat is no different, only more complicated.

Less is more, what ever background app you are running may cause instability...

Use Etrecheck to find what kernel extensions, launch agents or daemons you have running in the background...

You don't need to run Onyx once a week, do not run it at all, MacOS handles itself pretty fine without help from aside... sure, sometimes things get corrupted, but this is not a weekly rule...

hp79

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2013
Portland
Speaking about apps using cpu cycles, I found that Dropbox uses 0% while OneDrive and GoogleDrive uses 0.5% cpu. I only keep Dropbox autostart, and run the other two only when needed.

Also comparing VMware Fusion vs Parallels 8 (Parallels 9 is the latest version), Parallels 8 uses much less cpu compared to Fusion.

I agree, less is more. Sorry for being off topic.

emailsfh

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2008
3. Turn off hibernation [laptops only] - *UPDATED 01.16.2013 -

Another feature of Mac OS turned on by default on laptops is, that it saves all the memory to disk when entering sleep mode. This is to ensure your laptop does not lose your work if it runs out of battery while “sleeping”. The more RAM you have, the more gigabytes it writes to the disk every time you close the lid/put it to sleep. I typically do this at least twice a day – when leaving the office and when going to sleep in the evening. If you are in a similar situation and you have 8GB of RAM, that means your MacBook writes 16 to 24 GB of hibernation data to your SSD every day. Here is how you can turn this off – it will not only make your SSD’s life longer, but also significantly speed up the time it takes for your laptop to enter the sleep mode:
Code:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

*Once you turn off hibernation, you can also remove the sleep image file that will free up several GB of disk space (depending on how much RAM you have):
Code:
sudo rm /Private/var/vm/sleepimage

*Then create a blank zero-byte file so OS X cannot rewrite the file:
Code:
sudo touch /Private/var/vm/sleepimage

*Last, make the file immutable:
Code:
sudo chflags uchg /Private/var/vm/sleepimage

[/LIST]​

Is there a way to keep hibernation, but have the image write to your HDD rather than SDD (if you have an optibay setup)?

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
Is there a way to keep hibernation, but have the image write to your HDD rather than SDD (if you have an optibay setup)?

Yes;

Load Terminal.App in the utilities folder, and use the following command:

Code:
sudo pmset -a hibernatefile /Volumes/OtherVolume/sleepimage

Obviously change /OtherVolume/sleepimage to /YourOtherVolumesName/sleepimage

emailsfh

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2008
Yes;

Load Terminal.App in the utilities folder, and use the following command:

Code:
sudo pmset -a hibernatefile /Volumes/OtherVolume/sleepimage

Obviously change /OtherVolume/sleepimage to /YourOtherVolumesName/sleepimage

Thanks! Will this move the existing one, or will I also need to delete the one on the SSD after this one is created?

Makaveli6103

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
Kansas City, MO
I have a SSD and a HDD in my 2008 Macbook Pro. Should I leave sudden motion sensor and put hard disk to sleep on? Will they still work if the HDD is in a caddy that replaced my optical drive?

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
I wanted to remove all the stuff from step 3 and I was able to unlock the sleep image file and all that but now my Macbook won't go to sleep at all.

When I close the lid the light stays solid. Hmmm

Last edited:

Cassady

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
Sqornshellous
Fantastic thread this - duly subscribed.

I'm hoping that some of the knowledgeable people here can help with a simple query - I'm reluctant to start a thread on its own about it, and searching for a similar topic/thread. brought me here! :)

How crucial [ha-ha-] is updating a SSD's firmware? I have a 480GB Crucial M500 [2012 MBP; installed Oct 2013] - and I'm a bit weary about changing something for the sake of changing it, if I'm not noticing any problems? A quick check suggests I'm 2 versions "behind", but the [standard?] warnings on the Crucial How-to page, have me a tad nervous...

Would appreciate some thoughts...

jephotog

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2014
Are the instructions for these procedures still relevant to a brand new rMBP

I have a new 15" rMBP coming today with a 512GB SSD. I had asked in another post on how to best use the SSD and was told don't worry about it the SSDs are more robust than perviously thought.

Are the procedures on page one of this thread still relevant? Should i do all those steps? I will be using the computer for photography while on the road and around the house as well.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have a new 15" rMBP coming today with a 512GB SSD. I had asked in another post on how to best use the SSD and was told don't worry about it the SSDs are more robust than perviously thought.

Are the procedures on page one of this thread still relevant? Should i do all those steps? I will be using the computer for photography while on the road and around the house as well.

Your MacBook will have TRIM enabled by default, so you are fine there. Beyond that, in my opinion, there is no need to use any of the tweaks mentioned in this thread. Like you allude to, that SSD will likely work much longer than the rest of the computer will and the incremental saving in write cycles from these tweaks will not make a noticeable difference.

I would not mess with it.

alexxb07

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2015
Hello,
i copied-paste in terminal
sudo pmset -a sms 0
in order to deactivate the sudden motion sensor but i got this message

Warning: Idle sleep timings for "Battery Power" may not behave as expected.
- Disk sleep should be non-zero whenever system sleep is non-zero.
Warning: Idle sleep timings for "power adapter" may not behave as expected.
- Disk sleep should be non-zero whenever system sleep is non-zero.
why is that?

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
First of all thanks for a great, informative original post and the many questions and answers already provided in the thread!

I do have one question (that's actually been asked a couple of times already but apparently has been flying under the radar), how does one go about reversing the changes made in step 3 regarding hibernation?

Again, thanks, a great thread!

EDIT: Something like this perhaps?

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3

sudo chflags nouchg /Private/var/vm/sleepimage

Would that suffice?

Last edited:

alex0002

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
New Zealand
Fantastic thread this - duly subscribed.

I'm hoping that some of the knowledgeable people here can help with a simple query - I'm reluctant to start a thread on its own about it, and searching for a similar topic/thread. brought me here! :)

How crucial [ha-ha-] is updating a SSD's firmware? I have a 480GB Crucial M500 [2012 MBP; installed Oct 2013] - and I'm a bit weary about changing something for the sake of changing it, if I'm not noticing any problems? A quick check suggests I'm 2 versions "behind", but the [standard?] warnings on the Crucial How-to page, have me a tad nervous...

Would appreciate some thoughts...

I updated my M500 to MU03 and then MU05 from a CDROM in the optical drive and it's been running fine for about a year and has over 4900 power on hours. But if it's working fine there is probably no real need to update.

Having said that, there was at least one Mac specific fix in M500 firmware MU03:
  • SMART fix to ensure zero at all attributes upon shipment
  • SMART counter improvements for better customer data
  • Fix for potential Haswell compatibility issue (latest Intel platform)
  • Provide system builders with the ability to disable the temperature throttling function
  • Resolved potential problem causing long reboot times on some Apple MacBook systems
  • Improved compatibility with latest encryption management software
  • Changed polarity of DAS (drive activity signal)
  • Improvements in efficiency of background operations for improved lifetime and performance
  • Fixed bug in SMART readlog operation (does not affect SMART data)

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial...irmware-MU03-for-the-Crucial-M500/td-p/134921

Cassady

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
Sqornshellous
I updated my M500 to MU03 and then MU05 from a CDROM in the optical drive and it's been running fine for about a year and has over 4900 power on hours. But if it's working fine there is probably no real need to update.

Having said that, there was at least one Mac specific fix in M500 firmware MU03:
  • SMART fix to ensure zero at all attributes upon shipment
  • SMART counter improvements for better customer data
  • Fix for potential Haswell compatibility issue (latest Intel platform)
  • Provide system builders with the ability to disable the temperature throttling function
  • Resolved potential problem causing long reboot times on some Apple MacBook systems
  • Improved compatibility with latest encryption management software
  • Changed polarity of DAS (drive activity signal)
  • Improvements in efficiency of background operations for improved lifetime and performance
  • Fixed bug in SMART readlog operation (does not affect SMART data)

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial...irmware-MU03-for-the-Crucial-M500/td-p/134921

Thanks for the reply and link!

I'm still fine with boot-times, and all the replies to this have put my mind at ease... If it ain't broke, I ain't going to fix it... :cool:

MacEmi

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2017
Roma
Hi, this is the situation of my middle 2009
I'm not sure to enable TRIM on my samsung 840 ssd disk,
what do you suggest me?

Thanks a lot

EtreCheck version: 3.4.6 (460)
Report generated 2017-11-21 22:00:04
Download EtreCheck from https://etrecheck.com
Runtime: 2:47
Performance: Excellent

Click the [Lookup] links for more information from Apple Support Communities.
Click the [Details] links for more information about that line.

Problem: Other problem

Hardware Information: ⓘ
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2009)
[Technical Specifications] - [User Guide] - [Warranty & Service]
MacBook Pro - model: MacBookPro5,3
1 2,8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (Duo) CPU: 2-core
8 GB RAM Upgradeable - [Instructions]
BANK 0/DIMM0
4 GB DDR3 1067 MHz ok
BANK 1/DIMM0
4 GB DDR3 1067 MHz ok
Handoff/Airdrop2: not supported
Wireless: en1: 802.11 a/b/g/n
Battery: Health = Replace Now - Cycle count = 767

Video Information: ⓘ
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M - VRAM: 256 MB
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT - VRAM: 512 MB
Color LCD 1440 x 900

Disk Information: ⓘ
Samsung SSD 840 Series disk0: (500,11 GB) (Solid State - TRIM: No)
[Show SMART report]
(disk0s1) <not mounted> [EFI]: 210 MB
ballaweb (disk0s2 - Journaled HFS+) / [Startup]: 499.25 GB (106.23 GB free)
(disk0s3) <not mounted> [Recovery]: 650 MB

ST9500420AS disk1: (500,11 GB) (Rotational)
[Show SMART report]
(disk1s1) <not mounted> [EFI]: 210 MB
emi (disk1s2 - Journaled HFS+) /Volumes/emi : 499.76 GB (94.97 GB free)

USB Information: ⓘ
USB20Bus
Apple Card Reader
USB20Bus
Apple Inc. Built-in iSight
USBBus
Apple Inc. Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
Apple Computer, Inc. IR Receiver
USBBus
Apple Inc. BRCM2046 Hub
Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

System Software: ⓘ
OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 (15G1611) - Time since boot: less than an hour

Gatekeeper: ⓘ
Mac App Store and identified developers

Kernel Extensions: ⓘ
/Library/Extensions
[loaded] com.Cycling74.driver.Soundflower (2.0b2 - SDK 10.10) [Lookup]

/System/Library/Extensions
[not loaded] com.FTDI.driver.FTDIUSBSerialDriver (2.2.18 - SDK 10.6) [Lookup]
[not loaded] com.devguru.driver.SamsungComposite (1.4.42 - SDK 10.6) [Lookup]
[not loaded] com.nvidia.CUDA (1.1.0) [Lookup]

/System/Library/Extensions/ssuddrv.kext/Contents/PlugIns
[not loaded] com.devguru.driver.SamsungACMControl (1.4.42 - SDK 10.6) [Lookup]
[not loaded] com.devguru.driver.SamsungACMData (1.4.42 - SDK 10.6) [Lookup]
[not loaded] com.devguru.driver.SamsungMTP (1.4.42 - SDK 10.5) [Lookup]
[not loaded] com.devguru.driver.SamsungSerial (1.4.42 - SDK 10.6) [Lookup]

Startup Items: ⓘ
FanControlDaemon: Path: /Library/StartupItems/FanControlDaemon
StartOuc: Path: /Library/StartupItems/StartOuc
Startup items no longer function in OS X Yosemite or later

System Launch Agents: ⓘ
[not loaded] 8 Apple tasks
[loaded] 164 Apple tasks
[running] 66 Apple tasks

System Launch Daemons: ⓘ
[not loaded] 44 Apple tasks
[loaded] 161 Apple tasks
[running] 85 Apple tasks

Launch Agents: ⓘ
[not loaded] com.adobe.AAM.Updater-1.0.plist (Adobe Systems, Inc. - installed 2016-10-07) [Lookup]
[running] com.adobe.AdobeCreativeCloud.plist (Adobe Systems, Inc. - installed 2016-10-07) [Lookup]
[running] com.epson.Epson_Low_Ink_Reminder.launcher.plist (EPSON - installed 2017-09-11) [Lookup]
[loaded] com.epson.esua.launcher.plist (Seiko Epson Corporation - installed 2017-11-10) [Lookup]
[running] com.epson.eventmanager.agent.plist (Seiko Epson Corporation - installed 2017-09-11) [Lookup]
[running] com.epson.pma.launcher.plist (Seiko Epson Corporation - installed 2017-09-11) [Lookup]
[running] com.epson.scannermonitor.plist (Seiko Epson Corporation - installed 2017-09-11) [Lookup]
[loaded] com.oracle.java.Java-Updater.plist (? 57d9c90b 72ac4dde - installed 2017-10-21) [Lookup]

Launch Daemons: ⓘ
[running] com.adobe.adobeupdatedaemon.plist (Adobe Systems, Inc. - installed 2016-10-07) [Lookup]
[running] com.adobe.agsservice.plist (Adobe Systems, Inc. - installed 2017-10-03) [Lookup]
[loaded] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist (? 2afb3af7 defea098 - installed 2017-10-26) [Lookup]
[loaded] com.malwarebytes.HelperTool.plist (Malwarebytes Corporation - installed 2017-04-08) [Lookup]
[loaded] com.oracle.java.Helper-Tool.plist (Shell Script e3fefdd2 - installed 2017-09-06) [Lookup]

User Launch Agents: ⓘ
[loaded] com.bittorrent.uTorrent.plist (BitTorrent, Inc - installed 2016-04-24) [Lookup]
[loaded] com.citrixonline.GoToMeeting.G2MUpdate.plist (Citrix Online LLC - installed 2017-09-27) [Lookup]
[loaded] com.dropbox.DropboxMacUpdate.agent.plist (Dropbox, Inc. - installed 2017-08-12) [Lookup]
[loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist (Google, Inc. - installed 2017-09-28) [Lookup]
[loaded] com.logmein.GoToMeeting.G2MUpdate.plist (Citrix Online LLC - installed 2017-11-08) [Lookup]
[loaded] com.skype.skype.shareagent.plist (Skype Communications S.a.r.l - installed 2017-11-15) [Lookup]
[running] com.spotify.webhelper.plist (Spotify - installed 2017-05-07) [Lookup]

User Login Items: ⓘ
fuspredownloader Applicazione - Hidden
(~/Library/Application Support/.FUS/fuspredownloader.app)
KiesAgent Applicazione - Hidden (? 0 - installed 2016-11-20)
(/Applications/Kies.app/Contents/MacOS/KiesAgent.app)

Internet Plug-ins: ⓘ
AdobeAAMDetect: 3.0.0.0 (installed 2016-10-07) [Lookup]
FlashPlayer-10.6: 27.0.0.187 (installed 2017-11-14) [Lookup]
QuickTime Plugin: 7.7.3 (installed 2017-07-26)
Flash Player: 27.0.0.187 (installed 2017-11-14) [Lookup]
Default Browser: 601 (installed 2016-08-13)
PepperFlashPlayer: 27.0.0.187 (installed 2017-11-14) [Lookup]
JavaAppletPlugin: Java 8 Update 151 build 12 (installed 2017-10-21) Check version

User internet Plug-ins: ⓘ
ZoomUsPlugIn: 4.0.22259.0125 (installed 2017-02-21) [Lookup]

3rd Party Preference Panes: ⓘ
Flash Player (installed 2017-10-26) [Lookup]
Java (installed 2017-10-21) [Lookup]
PrintOptionPane (installed 2016-09-28) [Lookup]

Time Machine: ⓘ
Skip System Files: NO
Mobile backups: ON
Auto backup: YES
Volumes being backed up:
ballaweb: Disk size: 499.25 GB Disk used: 393.02 GB
Destinations:
Backup mac [Local]
Total size: 999.83 GB
Total number of backups: 30
Oldest backup: 25/03/16, 15:42
Last backup: 03/10/17, 10:21
Size of backup disk: Too small
Backup size 999.83 GB < (Disk used 393.02 GB X 3)

Top Processes by CPU: ⓘ
38% mdworker
32% mds
8% mds_stores
3% WindowServer
3% Epson Scanner Monitor

Top Processes by Memory: ⓘ
740 MB mds_stores
692 MB kernel_task
124 MB softwareupdated
69 MB WindowServer
59 MB Adobe CEF Helper

Top Processes by Energy Use: ⓘ
42.42 mdworker
28.18 mds
9.82 hiutil
7.42 mds_stores

Virtual Memory Information: ⓘ
5.52 GB Available RAM
3.72 GB Free RAM
2.48 GB Used RAM
1.80 GB Cached files
0 B Swap Used

Software installs (last 30 days): ⓘ
Adobe Flash Player: (installed 2017-10-26)
Adobe Connect Add-In: (installed 2017-11-08)
EPSON Software Updater: (installed 2017-11-10)
Adobe Pepper Flash Player: (installed 2017-11-14)
Adobe Flash Player: (installed 2017-11-14)

Install information may not be complete.

Diagnostics Events (last 3 days for minor events): ⓘ
2017-11-21 14:33:54 DesktopServicesHelper High CPU use [Open] [Details]
2017-11-21 06:42:53 rpcsvchost High CPU use [Open] [Details]
2017-11-20 14:22:31 usb Crash [Open]
2017-11-20 09:22:54 LibreOffice.app High CPU use [Open] [Details]

Files deleted by EtreCheck: ⓘ
2017-11-14 22:48:22 - ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.wondershare.TunesGoHelper.plist - Unknown
2017-11-14 22:48:36 - /Library/LaunchAgents/com.nvidia.CUDASoftwareUpdate.plist - Unknown
2017-11-14 22:48:36 - /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.nvidia.cuda.launcher.plist - Unknown

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.