Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:44 AM   #1
max••
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In OSX Snow Leopard / Godalming UK
PowerBook G4 won't boot

So i have a 1.5ghz 12" powerbook G4 that i got to use at school, it was all working ok untill i took it on a school trip to italy a few days ago. I left it on charge and sleeping one day and when i came back to it it was utterly dead, pulled the battery and reset the pmu, nothing, so i let it sit for a day and it booted. but not for long. about 30 secs after the os loaded the keyboard would stop working, so i rebooted it an we where back at square 1. let it sit another day and it worked again, but same deal, keyboard stopped working 30 seconds after boot and it died when i tried to reboot. left it another day, as soon as i powerd it on i jumped into open firmware and ran: reset-nvram then reset-all. this seemed to fix it, was working normally again. we get on the plane back and guess what. same thing. not responsive to the power button at all. when i got home i took it apart intending to replace the pram battery but of corse it is a super capicitor that is soldered to the logicboard. left it a day and now i am still not getting anything.

so anyone have any idea how to fix it? it is worth replaceing the super capicitor? (i am pretty good at soldering)

thanks
max••
__________________
'08 MBP 2.4ghz 4gb ram Lion Snow Leo|iBook G3 500mhz 256mb ram Tiger|PowerMac G5 DP 2.5ghz 3gb ram Leo|B/W G3 350mhz 256mb ram MintPPC|Xserve G4 1Ghz DP 2Gb ram 2TB Hdd Leo Server|+ some more macs
max•• is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:39 PM   #2
666sheep
macrumors 68030
 
666sheep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Poland
If you'll get right capacitor and you're good in soldering you can try to replace it. I couldn't be worse than now. But judging by symptoms, I have feeling that your problem is the PMU itself. If you have logic board removed see if there are any signs of burnt traces or SMD components. Use magnifying glass.
666sheep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:15 PM   #3
yamu
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Maybe the powerbook gets false sleep signals from a defective hall-effect-sensor board. a small board at the side of the dvd drive connected to the dc-to-dc board. simply unplug it and see if it working normally other than the deactivated sleep function when closing the lid.
yamu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:12 PM   #4
seveej
macrumors 6502a
 
seveej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamu View Post
Maybe the powerbook gets false sleep signals from a defective hall-effect-sensor board. a small board at the side of the dvd drive connected to the dc-to-dc board. simply unplug it and see if it working normally other than the deactivated sleep function when closing the lid.
At least in some models, you can test the functionality of the hall sensor
Use the guide given at http://mrob.com/pub/ibook.html to create your diagnostic.

That said, have you tried taking out all memory chips?
Can you go to the console and see what kind of things go into the system log just before the machine "shuts down"?

RGDS,
Pekka
__________________
MP 3,1 'nuff RAM, 3 HDD's, 1 SSD, AMD 5770, 10.6
MBP 13" 2,66 C2D, 8GB, 160SSD, 10.6
2009 Mini
, and a lot of other gear.
seveej is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:59 PM   #5
max••
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In OSX Snow Leopard / Godalming UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666sheep View Post
If you'll get right capacitor and you're good in soldering you can try to replace it. I couldn't be worse than now. But judging by symptoms, I have feeling that your problem is the PMU itself. If you have logic board removed see if there are any signs of burnt traces or SMD components. Use magnifying glass.
I ended up buying a new logic board (since i need this laptop, so my parents decided to pay the £40 it cost for a new logicboard) but i may try swapping the cap when i pull the board out to replace it

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamu View Post
Maybe the powerbook gets false sleep signals from a defective hall-effect-sensor board. a small board at the side of the dvd drive connected to the dc-to-dc board. simply unplug it and see if it working normally other than the deactivated sleep function when closing the lid.
I did try disconnecting it when i had it open yesterday with no change, so seems the logicboard is screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by seveej View Post
At least in some models, you can test the functionality of the hall sensor
Use the guide given at http://mrob.com/pub/ibook.html to create your diagnostic.

That said, have you tried taking out all memory chips?
Can you go to the console and see what kind of things go into the system log just before the machine "shuts down"?

RGDS,
Pekka
Unfortunatley as i can't as it won't boot at all
__________________
'08 MBP 2.4ghz 4gb ram Lion Snow Leo|iBook G3 500mhz 256mb ram Tiger|PowerMac G5 DP 2.5ghz 3gb ram Leo|B/W G3 350mhz 256mb ram MintPPC|Xserve G4 1Ghz DP 2Gb ram 2TB Hdd Leo Server|+ some more macs
max•• is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC