Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:54 PM   #1
jlam96
macrumors newbie

I formatted my whole hard drive...

I'm in a kinda unique situation here. I was installing Windows using Boot Camp, and I formatted my WHOLE hard drive. And I don't have any full backups because Time Machine never worked. I have been careful to not do anything with the hard drive, because I know there are some ways of getting the data back if it's not overwritten. My problem is: How do I do this without installing another OS? I found this software called Stellar Phoenix that looks good:
http://www.stellarinfo.com/mac-data-recovery.htm
But the problem still there: I cannot install this. Could I possible install Mac , or possibly even Windows on an external drive and boot from there? Please help! I would hate to lose all my stuff!
jlam96 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:04 PM   #2
ElRojito
macrumors member

Aside from the humor. You could try drive savers. They'll give you a free quote at least. They also work closely with Apple so they don't void warranty by opening your devices etc.
http://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com

Last edited by ElRojito; Nov 4, 2012 at 11:11 PM.
ElRojito is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:13 AM   #3
Edie Brickell
macrumors member

Your data can be recovered using this software but you have to connect your drive to another Mac so that you can recover your formatted drive. Stellar Phoenix is actually meant for recovering deleted and formatted drives. Just download this software on another Mac and connect your formatted drive and start recovering your data.
Edie Brickell is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:02 AM   #4
jlam96
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElRojito View Post

Aside from the humor. You could try drive savers. They'll give you a free quote at least. They also work closely with Apple so they don't void warranty by opening your devices etc.
http://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com
Haha. I don't think I'll be sending my data to another company anytime soon. If worst comes to worst, I'll just have to start all over again and see what I salvage from my other computers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edie Brickell View Post
Your data can be recovered using this software but you have to connect your drive to another Mac so that you can recover your formatted drive. Stellar Phoenix is actually meant for recovering deleted and formatted drives. Just download this software on another Mac and connect your formatted drive and start recovering your data.
How do I connect my Mac up to another computer? Firstly, I don't have another Mac. But I do have another PC with a FireWire port, if that's what I'm supposed to do.
jlam96 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:28 PM   #5
orangezorki
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlam96 View Post
How do I connect my Mac up to another computer? Firstly, I don't have another Mac. But I do have another PC with a FireWire port, if that's what I'm supposed to do.
I did a quick search, and it looks like you can't use a firewire thunderbolt adapter to put the MBA in target disk mode - bummer!

It looks like your best bet is to find a way to sort out a bootable usb drive, boot from that and use recovery software - good luck!

Another possibility, if you have the money and a 2010 or 2011 MBA, is to get an OWC drive for it with the external USB enclosure. You'd still need to find a way to get OSX on to the new drive, but you'd have some extra storage.

Hope this helps,

David
orangezorki is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:45 PM   #6
jlam96
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangezorki View Post
I did a quick search, and it looks like you can't use a firewire thunderbolt adapter to put the MBA in target disk mode - bummer!

It looks like your best bet is to find a way to sort out a bootable usb drive, boot from that and use recovery software - good luck!

Another possibility, if you have the money and a 2010 or 2011 MBA, is to get an OWC drive for it with the external USB enclosure. You'd still need to find a way to get OSX on to the new drive, but you'd have some extra storage.

Hope this helps,

David
Thanks. I'm going to try use Windows XP because it's lightweight and small (I only have a 4GB USB stick). As I said before, I'm not really willing to spend any money, so if this fails and there are no more suggestions, I'll just have to do a clean install.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:50 PM   #7
bogatyr
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Thanks. I'm going to try use Windows XP because it's lightweight and small (I only have a 4GB USB stick). As I said before, I'm not really willing to spend any money, so if this fails and there are no more suggestions, I'll just have to do a clean install.
I don't believe XP will boot off a USB stick. You can however install OSX on an external drive or Linux. Including an SD card.
bogatyr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 06:04 PM   #8
jlam96
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogatyr View Post
I don't believe XP will boot off a USB stick. You can however install OSX on an external drive or Linux. Including an SD card.
Thanks for the fast reply. I think you're right, whenever it tries to boot off the USB, it says "Remove disks or other media. Press any key to restart." I'm going to try Ubuntu and install Stellar Phoenix, and I'll see how that goes.

Last edited by jlam96; Nov 5, 2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:07 PM   #9
jlam96
macrumors newbie

Ubuntu is giving me kernel panic: "Kernel panic - not syncing: timer doesn't work through Interrupt-remapped IO-APIC" Does anyone know what's happening?
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:51 AM   #10
Barche
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Ubuntu is giving me kernel panic: "Kernel panic - not syncing: timer doesn't work through Interrupt-remapped IO-APIC" Does anyone know what's happening?
You need to specify the noapic option, see step 3 here, for instance:
http://maketecheasier.com/install-du...air/2012/08/27

Note that this will only boot ubuntu, so you will need linux software that can recover the mac HD. I have no idea if that exists.
Barche is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:45 PM   #11
jlam96
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barche View Post
You need to specify the noapic option, see step 3 here, for instance:
http://maketecheasier.com/install-du...air/2012/08/27

Note that this will only boot ubuntu, so you will need linux software that can recover the mac HD. I have no idea if that exists.
Ok, I'll try that now. I'm going to use the free version of Stellar Phoenix for Linux. [EDIT: Seems like that's for Windows. I'm going to give this problem a rest, and maybe in a few days' time I'll fix it.]

Last edited by jlam96; Nov 6, 2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:50 AM   #12
jbzcar
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangezorki View Post

Hope this helps,

David
You can do TDM using Thunderbolt -> Thuderbolt.
jbzcar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:06 AM   #13
jlam96
macrumors newbie

Oh well. In the end, I just reinstalled OSX using Internet Recovery. I'm actually really impressed by this feature. First priority: Backups!
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:31 AM   #14
HarryWarden
macrumors 6502

Do you happen to know why didn't Time Machine backups work?
HarryWarden is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air