Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Why does Apple advertise the white iPads more than the black ones?

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
It's probably because from an advertising point of view, it distinguishes more easily from the competitors when glimpsed at.

Kind of like how with iPhone 5 they tend to emphasize the black ones more, showing off the anodized black antenna frame, probably to differentiate it more from the iPhones that came before it.

Who knows.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Probably because Apple knows black would be people's first choice.

Yes, the white is classy, but the contrast between the screen and bezel bugs me.

Black is timeless.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Why does Apple hire white ones more than black ones? ;-)

WOW! I can't believe you went there. Way out of line to imply Apple discriminates or to conflate product colors with race.

Because white is classic Apple .... going way back.

Way back to 2001? I've owned Apple products since 1988. Until the iPod and Snow White iMac, I can't recall any major Apple product that was white. All my Macs to that point were either beige or black. After 2001 they were Titanium or Aluminum. The original 1998 iMac was Bondi Blue. The original bitten Apple logo was a rainbow of colors with no white element at all. Then it changed to monochrome of no set color -- Bondi Blue, white, gray, & black have all been put on product and company literature.

Why do people keep saying white is classic Apple it's not, it's just another "color" in Apple's palette. Now one could say white is classic iPod and classic MacBook. That would be true.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Why does Apple advertise the white iPads more than the black ones?

They oscillate. IPhone 4 they pushed black heavy. 4S white. 5 was mostly black. 5S/6 will likely push white.

Markettbng and brand. Helps make thier different generations pop and stand out more, even if subtle.

iPad was only in black. IPad 2 was completely different design and they pushed black again even though white was a new offering. IPad 3 they switched to pushing white.

Guy Mancuso

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Being a photographer and designer Apples advertising has usually been white backgrounds in there ads to keep it very simple and clean but they use black color products to stand out against it. It's basically all marketing and visual effect . Black on white looks much cleaner in photography than white on black. But these do change in time so now its white on white in some product shots. Bottom line Apple has some of the cleanest looking ads in the industry and it obviously has been successful. They basically created a standard look for themselves.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Calm yourself, it was a joke... (but very, very well-backed by statistic)

Sorry if I misread. Too many people here make that claim in all seriousness to justify buying white -- as-if they needed justification. Too many people are too meek to buy what they like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.