Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riptide747

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
I have an iPod Touch 5g and a lot of the time the sides of the screen don't respond to taps and require multiple taps to finally select something. Could this be correlated to the scrolling glitch?

Edit: If it is the in cell tech, will apple be able to fix it with a firmware update or are we all just screwed until the next year's iPods come out?

Last edited:

riptide747

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
A hard reset won't fix the problem as its apparent in all iPhone and iPod touch 5's

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
This seems to happen with near all the iPhone 5s (not just the iPod touches) I have seen and played with. There definitely is something wrong with the capacitive touch input.

Perhaps the in-cell touch panels are at fault?

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
They are not as touch sensitive.

So even with IGZO displays, will the sensitivity remain or be rectified?

Hope that at least, if not the next iPhone, then the next next iPhone rectifies this somehow with an improved technology.

wooddorf

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2009
It is part of the "thumb rejection technology" that is in iOS 6, my friend has a 4S that started doing it after the update. You have to press the keys more firmly and deliberately. In other words you're typing wrong. :D

Silken

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2010
I've only noticed this when swiping to unlock the device, sometimes it takes multiple swipes. Other than that though its really responsive, maybe you should take it to the Apple store and get a replacement.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
A hard reset won't fix the problem as its apparent in all iPhone and iPod touch 5's

Definitely not "all" such products and most certainly no problem whatsoever with my touch 5. If anything, sometimes I find the screen almost too responsive to the lightest touch - and have to back out of a lot of ads because of that.

Take the iPod touch to an Apple store and demonstrate the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.