Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tigger11

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
Rocket City, USA

You still keep missing the point, THERE IS NOT SHORTAGE OF PARTS, caused by Apples acquisitions at this time. Also as I have pointed out earlier, there is no shortage of space at the contract manufacturers, they are not full up, so Apple having lots of space, isnt impacting others because there is still space available.

And you are completely wrong about Brazil, Foxconn only started expanding to Brazil in 2011.
I find nothing to even suggest anything earlier.

Here's the CSER for 2009 from Foxconn, from the actual Foxconn site

http://www.foxconn.com/ser/2009%20Foxconn%20CSER%20Report.pdf

Wow, lots of mentions of Foxconn Brazil in there, for a company that isnt going to be there for two more years according to you.

I am more then refuted everything you said with links to relevant publications.
PracticalMac 3: Tigger11 0

No, you havent, you seem to be very confused about the subjects still. Apple at this time isnt impacting others efforts on tablets because the key parts are unique, and the other parts despite Apple buying lots are not in short supply. Contract manufacturers are not running near 100% at this time, so Apple isn't squeezing anyone by taking all the production lines and not allowing others to get there stuff made, and Foxconn has been in Brazil as clearly stated in the CSER, long before 2011.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
You still keep missing the point, THERE IS NOT SHORTAGE OF PARTS, caused by Apples acquisitions at this time.
Here's the CSER for 2009 from Foxconn, from the actual Foxconn site

I NEVER, EVER, said "SHORTAGE".
That is 100% YOUR fabrication.

http://www.foxconn.com/ser/2009%20Foxconn%20CSER%20Report.pdf

Wow, lots of mentions of Foxconn Brazil in there, for a company that isnt going to be there for two more years according to you.

I found out why no mention of Foxconn before 2011, it was not called that in Brazil, it was called "PCE Paragon Solutions Kft".

"PCE Paragon Solutions Kft" is the parent company, "Foxconn CMMSG Industria de Electronicos Ltda" operated under their control. (when started??)
"PCE Paragon Solutions Kft" company is based in Szekesfehervar, Hungary.

And guess what, PCE itself is owned by "Foxteq Holdings Inc." (when did this happen?)
Easy to guess who Foxteq is a subsidary of... (can you say Round Robin?)

I had to do a lot of web digging to find that out. I guess with the major expansion Foxconn (Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., Ltd. as we know) came out of the closet, and why the overwhelming number of results show 2011 and later, and do not even mention prior existence of Foxconn factories.

The CSER also has a 2007 date mentioning Brazil.

The American company I work for was purchased by a huge Japanese company, yet we are barely mentioned in the big company profile. Internally, we operate exactly like an independent company, make most of our own decisions.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Success doesn't mean the mini has to outsell all other tablets. That's your basis here. Success for Apple is making lots of money. If they come to dominate the product space so they make even more money, that's great too.

You've already said they will sell millions (and they will). Why are you continuing to flame on this? Sounds like everyone's answers you consider wrong. Nobody is going to satisfy you in this discussion or convince you otherwise. It's a beyond silly debate.

Tigger11

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
Rocket City, USA
I NEVER, EVER, said "SHORTAGE".
That is 100% YOUR fabrication.

You never said shortage, but your entire premise is based on there being one.
Lets look at this one last time. To start the conversation you said:

"If that is so, why does Apple go to extremes to hinder other tablet makers from getting parts?"

You then go on and say this:

"Conversely stocking up huge piles of spare parts?"

The only way that Apple acquiring parts or stockpiling parts can hinder other tablet makers from getting parts is by creating a shortage of the part. Apple has to buy enough, that others who need the part cannot acquire it in a timely manner. Since there is not a shortage of any non iPad unique part, this is not occurring, using a Jan 2011 article that suggests that might be an issue with the Xoom vs iPad 1 (which we now know it wasnt), isnt proof of you theory in Nov of 2012.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I couldn't agree more. As much as I like Apple as a company, I'm a selfish consumer first.

I feel like Apple is coasting right now. But you can't fault them for a non-Retina screen or price point, because they will likely sell just as many as if they put in a higher resolution screen, more RAM or a $299 price point. They can line up releases like dominos and watch the money roll in.

I've been longing for an iPad Mini for months. But I just feel like my money is being spent encouraing them to coast.

So I'm going to buy a Nexus 7 instead. If I don't like it, I'll return it and wait for a Mini 2. My one sale doesn't amount to anything in the big picture, but philisophically I'll feel better that my money is being spent to help promote some competition.
Please the iPad came out when....retina display came out when? Retina display isnt cheap and you guys dont know what went on behind the scenes. Its probably not technologically feasible in the price range apple wanted.

Last edited:

Tigger11

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
Rocket City, USA
Show me an article that says otherwise.

You really change focus alot, we were discussing part shortage, you were saying it wasn't happening ("I never said part shortage"), now you want me to prove there wasnt a part shortage for the Xoom. We know there wasnt a part shortage for the Xoom, because they never sold out the xoom, they just kept getting returned and the price kept getting cut. I'll give you a clue, if someone is cutting their price, its not because they have a part shortage, its because the item isnt selling. Google Xoom sales if you want a bunch of articles about how poorly Motorola's device sold, here's one to wet your appetite:

http://hothardware.com/News/Motorola-Report-Reveals-Terrible-Xoom-Sales/

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
You really change focus alot, we were discussing part shortage, you were saying it wasn't happening ("I never said part shortage"), now you want me to prove there wasnt a part shortage for the Xoom. We know there wasnt a part shortage for the Xoom, because they never sold out the xoom, they just kept getting returned and the price kept getting cut. I'll give you a clue, if someone is cutting their price, its not because they have a part shortage, its because the item isnt selling. Google Xoom sales if you want a bunch of articles about how poorly Motorola's device sold, here's one to wet your appetite:

http://hothardware.com/News/Motorola-Report-Reveals-Terrible-Xoom-Sales/

Thanks for that piece, but why was Xoom priced as it was?

Tigger, ok, I will agree the details are hard to find.
Our company had a problem a couple years back when a simple but special connector was not available because another company had priority for remaining stock, and we could not switch to another brand.
The supplier would not be restocked for a few weeks. Lucky 2 weeks later an alternate source was found.
Simple case of demand outstripping supply. It is not unheard of a company buying up all supply of key parts to hinder production of a competitors product, or tying up production lines for same reason, or simply inflate price of the parts (true, it would be only a few dollars at most).

Last edited:

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Amazon doesn't report Kindle units shipped or sold as part of their quarterly reports.

Correct, Amazon does not report Kindles sold, but they had a quarterly loss for the first time in years and they sell Kindles at a loss...

Amazon better hope their Kindle Fire doesn't end up sinking them. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.