Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:01 PM   #26
Tigger11
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rocket City, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post
You still keep missing the point, THERE IS NOT SHORTAGE OF PARTS, caused by Apples acquisitions at this time. Also as I have pointed out earlier, there is no shortage of space at the contract manufacturers, they are not full up, so Apple having lots of space, isnt impacting others because there is still space available.


Quote:
And you are completely wrong about Brazil, Foxconn only started expanding to Brazil in 2011.
I find nothing to even suggest anything earlier.
Here's the CSER for 2009 from Foxconn, from the actual Foxconn site


http://www.foxconn.com/ser/2009%20Fo...R%20Report.pdf

Wow, lots of mentions of Foxconn Brazil in there, for a company that isnt going to be there for two more years according to you.


Quote:
I am more then refuted everything you said with links to relevant publications.
PracticalMac 3: Tigger11 0
No, you havent, you seem to be very confused about the subjects still. Apple at this time isnt impacting others efforts on tablets because the key parts are unique, and the other parts despite Apple buying lots are not in short supply. Contract manufacturers are not running near 100% at this time, so Apple isn't squeezing anyone by taking all the production lines and not allowing others to get there stuff made, and Foxconn has been in Brazil as clearly stated in the CSER, long before 2011.
Tigger11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:15 PM   #27
PracticalMac
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger11 View Post
You still keep missing the point, THERE IS NOT SHORTAGE OF PARTS, caused by Apples acquisitions at this time.
Here's the CSER for 2009 from Foxconn, from the actual Foxconn site
I NEVER, EVER, said "SHORTAGE".
That is 100% YOUR fabrication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger11 View Post
http://www.foxconn.com/ser/2009%20Fo...R%20Report.pdf

Wow, lots of mentions of Foxconn Brazil in there, for a company that isnt going to be there for two more years according to you.
I found out why no mention of Foxconn before 2011, it was not called that in Brazil, it was called "PCE Paragon Solutions Kft".

"PCE Paragon Solutions Kft" is the parent company, "Foxconn CMMSG Industria de Electronicos Ltda" operated under their control. (when started??)
"PCE Paragon Solutions Kft" company is based in Szekesfehervar, Hungary.

And guess what, PCE itself is owned by "Foxteq Holdings Inc." (when did this happen?)
Easy to guess who Foxteq is a subsidary of... (can you say Round Robin?)

I had to do a lot of web digging to find that out. I guess with the major expansion Foxconn (Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., Ltd. as we know) came out of the closet, and why the overwhelming number of results show 2011 and later, and do not even mention prior existence of Foxconn factories.

The CSER also has a 2007 date mentioning Brazil.


The American company I work for was purchased by a huge Japanese company, yet we are barely mentioned in the big company profile. Internally, we operate exactly like an independent company, make most of our own decisions.
__________________
FireWire 1394 Intelligent network guaranteed data transfer, 1500mA power, Ethernet compatible
Read: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 70% faster then USB2
Write: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 48% faster
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:30 PM   #28
bcaslis
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Success doesn't mean the mini has to outsell all other tablets. That's your basis here. Success for Apple is making lots of money. If they come to dominate the product space so they make even more money, that's great too.

You've already said they will sell millions (and they will). Why are you continuing to flame on this? Sounds like everyone's answers you consider wrong. Nobody is going to satisfy you in this discussion or convince you otherwise. It's a beyond silly debate.
__________________
MacBook Pro Retina 13" 3.0GHz i7 8GB/512GB , iPad mini Verizon LTE 64GB, Mac mini server, iMac 24", iPhone 5s 64GB
bcaslis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:33 AM   #29
Tigger11
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rocket City, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post
I NEVER, EVER, said "SHORTAGE".
That is 100% YOUR fabrication.
You never said shortage, but your entire premise is based on there being one.
Lets look at this one last time. To start the conversation you said:

"If that is so, why does Apple go to extremes to hinder other tablet makers from getting parts?"

You then go on and say this:

"Conversely stocking up huge piles of spare parts?"


The only way that Apple acquiring parts or stockpiling parts can hinder other tablet makers from getting parts is by creating a shortage of the part. Apple has to buy enough, that others who need the part cannot acquire it in a timely manner. Since there is not a shortage of any non iPad unique part, this is not occurring, using a Jan 2011 article that suggests that might be an issue with the Xoom vs iPad 1 (which we now know it wasnt), isnt proof of you theory in Nov of 2012.
Tigger11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:39 AM   #30
AdonisSMU
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantan View Post
I couldn't agree more. As much as I like Apple as a company, I'm a selfish consumer first.

I feel like Apple is coasting right now. But you can't fault them for a non-Retina screen or price point, because they will likely sell just as many as if they put in a higher resolution screen, more RAM or a $299 price point. They can line up releases like dominos and watch the money roll in.

I've been longing for an iPad Mini for months. But I just feel like my money is being spent encouraing them to coast.

So I'm going to buy a Nexus 7 instead. If I don't like it, I'll return it and wait for a Mini 2. My one sale doesn't amount to anything in the big picture, but philisophically I'll feel better that my money is being spent to help promote some competition.
Please the iPad came out when....retina display came out when? Retina display isnt cheap and you guys dont know what went on behind the scenes. Its probably not technologically feasible in the price range apple wanted.

Last edited by AdonisSMU; Nov 16, 2012 at 09:46 AM.
AdonisSMU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:16 PM   #31
PracticalMac
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger11 View Post
using a Jan 2011 article that suggests that might be an issue with the Xoom vs iPad 1 (which we now know it wasnt), isnt proof of you theory in Nov of 2012.
Show me an article that says otherwise.
__________________
FireWire 1394 Intelligent network guaranteed data transfer, 1500mA power, Ethernet compatible
Read: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 70% faster then USB2
Write: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 48% faster
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:32 PM   #32
Tigger11
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rocket City, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post
Show me an article that says otherwise.
You really change focus alot, we were discussing part shortage, you were saying it wasn't happening ("I never said part shortage"), now you want me to prove there wasnt a part shortage for the Xoom. We know there wasnt a part shortage for the Xoom, because they never sold out the xoom, they just kept getting returned and the price kept getting cut. I'll give you a clue, if someone is cutting their price, its not because they have a part shortage, its because the item isnt selling. Google Xoom sales if you want a bunch of articles about how poorly Motorola's device sold, here's one to wet your appetite:

http://hothardware.com/News/Motorola...le-Xoom-Sales/
Tigger11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:13 AM   #33
PracticalMac
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger11 View Post
You really change focus alot, we were discussing part shortage, you were saying it wasn't happening ("I never said part shortage"), now you want me to prove there wasnt a part shortage for the Xoom. We know there wasnt a part shortage for the Xoom, because they never sold out the xoom, they just kept getting returned and the price kept getting cut. I'll give you a clue, if someone is cutting their price, its not because they have a part shortage, its because the item isnt selling. Google Xoom sales if you want a bunch of articles about how poorly Motorola's device sold, here's one to wet your appetite:

http://hothardware.com/News/Motorola...le-Xoom-Sales/
Thanks for that piece, but why was Xoom priced as it was?

Tigger, ok, I will agree the details are hard to find.
Our company had a problem a couple years back when a simple but special connector was not available because another company had priority for remaining stock, and we could not switch to another brand.
The supplier would not be restocked for a few weeks. Lucky 2 weeks later an alternate source was found.
Simple case of demand outstripping supply. It is not unheard of a company buying up all supply of key parts to hinder production of a competitors product, or tying up production lines for same reason, or simply inflate price of the parts (true, it would be only a few dollars at most).
__________________
FireWire 1394 Intelligent network guaranteed data transfer, 1500mA power, Ethernet compatible
Read: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 70% faster then USB2
Write: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 48% faster

Last edited by PracticalMac; Nov 17, 2012 at 11:41 AM.
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:30 AM   #34
PracticalMac
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Looks like Mini is preferred over the iPad 4.

Of course the mini is a new platform with production pains vs iPad 4 which is a tweak of the iPad 3.

But with predictions of constrained availability till 2013, it looks like Mini is runaway success.

Will the Mini capture about 1/2 the iPad market?
__________________
FireWire 1394 Intelligent network guaranteed data transfer, 1500mA power, Ethernet compatible
Read: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 70% faster then USB2
Write: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 48% faster
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:56 AM   #35
bigboar
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post
Looks like Mini is preferred over the iPad 4.

Of course the mini is a new platform with production pains vs iPad 4 which is a tweak of the iPad 3.

But with predictions of constrained availability till 2013, it looks like Mini is runaway success.

Will the Mini capture about 1/2 the iPad market?
hmm, not according to this....
http://www.timeslive.co.za/scitech/2...tmas-stockings
__________________
Thanks for viewing my Signature!
bigboar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:27 PM   #36
PBG4 Dude
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldiMac View Post
Amazon doesn't report Kindle units shipped or sold as part of their quarterly reports.
Correct, Amazon does not report Kindles sold, but they had a quarterly loss for the first time in years and they sell Kindles at a loss...

Amazon better hope their Kindle Fire doesn't end up sinking them.
PBG4 Dude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:41 PM   #37
wrkactjob
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London
"preditions"

I like the sound of that word.
wrkactjob is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:02 PM   #38
PracticalMac
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboar View Post
Thanks for link, something to think about, but it does suggest about 1/3 will be mini.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrkactjob View Post
"preditions"

I like the sound of that word.
Very serendipitous wording.
__________________
FireWire 1394 Intelligent network guaranteed data transfer, 1500mA power, Ethernet compatible
Read: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 70% faster then USB2
Write: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 48% faster
PracticalMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC