Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:57 AM   #26
Random 995K
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasss95 View Post
I just want a screen protector to prevent scratches...
Does a anti fingerprint screen protector work?
Both prevent scratches.

A matte screen protector genrally contains anti finger print properties and has a very smooth feel to it, meaning sliding your finger across the screen causes barely no friction. The downside to matte screen protectors are that they create a pixelated effect which is quite visible, it is nearly like making your iphone non retina. Every matte screen protector is different and the best ones only take away from the screen clarity by a bit.

Clear screen protectors feel very similar to an iPhone screen without any screen protector on, as in the screen is not smooth. There is friction when rubbing the screen. Although the advantage of a clear scree protector is that it does not take away from the retina at all and allows the iphone 5 to have its natural vibrant display.

The one I have is a mixture of both and is the best imo but is only done by spigen I think, meaning its out of the equation for you unless you want to pay very high shipping costs.
__________________
iPhone 64GB iPad 4 iMac 21.5 (2010)
Random 995K is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:11 AM   #27
Thomasss95
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random 995K View Post
Both prevent scratches.

A matte screen protector genrally contains anti finger print properties and has a very smooth feel to it, meaning sliding your finger across the screen causes barely no friction. The downside to matte screen protectors are that they create a pixelated effect which is quite visible, it is nearly like making your iphone non retina. Every matte screen protector is different and the best ones only take away from the screen clarity by a bit.

Clear screen protectors feel very similar to an iPhone screen without any screen protector on, as in the screen is not smooth. There is friction when rubbing the screen. Although the advantage of a clear scree protector is that it does not take away from the retina at all and allows the iphone 5 to have its natural vibrant display.

The one I have is a mixture of both and is the best imo but is only done by spigen I think, meaning its out of the equation for you unless you want to pay very high shipping costs.
Sounds like the clear ones are best for me.
The Spigen mixture ones sound the best though...
Could you give me a link to those on the Spigen site?
There a lot of different ones of their site and I don't which one is the mixtured one.

EDIT:
Found them on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Spigen-SGP-SGP...ector+iphone+5
I also saw thre different ones from Spigen, the matte, the clear and these: http://www.amazon.com/SPIGEN-SGP-Pro...ector+iphone+5
What will these do?
__________________
iPhone 5 - iPhone 4S - iPad 3 - iPad 1 - iPad Mini

Last edited by Thomasss95; Feb 12, 2013 at 04:18 AM.
Thomasss95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:59 PM   #28
Random 995K
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasss95 View Post
Sounds like the clear ones are best for me.
The Spigen mixture ones sound the best though...
Could you give me a link to those on the Spigen site?
There a lot of different ones of their site and I don't which one is the mixtured one.

EDIT:
Found them on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Spigen-SGP-SGP...ector+iphone+5
I also saw thre different ones from Spigen, the matte, the clear and these: http://www.amazon.com/SPIGEN-SGP-Pro...ector+iphone+5
What will these do?
The mixture ones are a screen protector for the front and back, did you want one for the back even though you have a case? I believe the mixture ones also uses different materials compared to the other ones such.

The oleophobic feels like a crystal screen protector but has anti smudge properties. I believe it still has the friction of the glass screen protector but the clarity of a clear. It is similar to the ultra optics except it sacrifices the feel of the UO or the matte for extra clarity. I believe that the UO is as clear as the crystal (or nearly as cleat, not really noticeable difference).

Link to UO:http://www.amazon.com/Spigen-SGP-SGP...ector+iphone+5

Your decision, Is the shipping cost low from amazon?
__________________
iPhone 64GB iPad 4 iMac 21.5 (2010)
Random 995K is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:51 PM   #29
QuarterSwede
macrumors 604
 
QuarterSwede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackandproud View Post
However, I grew accustomed to actually touching the sp in order to actuate controls. I also didn't like using a bare and clean screen after using a sp. The sp accumulates some oils from your hands and fingers after a bit of use. This actually will make it easier to swipe and glide your fingers across the screen.

With a clean, bare screen, your fingers will actually catch on the glass if you press against the screen, in the same way that a squeegee will squeak as it encounters resistance as you wipe a window down.
I totally disagree and that has been the opposite of my experience.

No SP, smooth as butter, SP, catchy (unless it's glass one and then it's like using an original iPhone screen, read: not as smooth as an iPhone 5).

We're just going to disagree on this one.
QuarterSwede is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:11 AM   #30
Holmes093
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Plastic Protector - Spigen Ultra Crystal
Glass Protector - Spigen Glass.tR

I swapped my UC for the Glass.tR purely for the drag and feel.
__________________
ACTC / ACSP
iPhone 5s 32GB / White & Gold / 3 / iOS 7
iPad Air 32GB / White / 3 / iOS 7
Mac Mini 2.5GHz / 8GB ram / 120GB SSD & 6TB Thunderbolt Drive / 10.9.1
Holmes093 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:49 PM   #31
krick
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random 995K View Post
I am very happy with my ultra optics one as it doesn't lower the screen quality much at all (95% clarity and much clearer than all matte screen protectors I know of) and provides the smoothness and anti finger print characteristics of the matte one.

The new Belkin Iris is clearer IMO than the Spigen but the texture is not as smooth. I recently posted about it another thread.
krick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:16 PM   #32
Random 995K
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by krick View Post
The new Belkin Iris is clearer IMO than the Spigen but the texture is not as smooth. I recently posted about it another thread.
Hmm il check it out
__________________
iPhone 64GB iPad 4 iMac 21.5 (2010)
Random 995K is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:16 PM   #33
theautopilot
macrumors 6502a
 
theautopilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
In most cases, the people who will say they don't like screen protectors are they people who have been unsuccessful in applying them.

A good quality one, when applied properly, is virtually impossible to know its there. Almost invisible, even whe your looking for it. I had to pull one off once just to prove to the manager of a phone shop I had one on!

As said above, in a win win. I can't see any reason not to have one.
theautopilot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:47 PM   #34
Thomasss95
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Netherlands
I just installed my Belkin screen protectors.
They are very cheap in the Netherlands, so I wanted to test them out.
Very happy with them, they are very clear and smooth in my opinion.
Applying them was easy.
The only weird thing is the too big cutout for the speaker and camera...
But not a big deal for me.
__________________
iPhone 5 - iPhone 4S - iPad 3 - iPad 1 - iPad Mini
Thomasss95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:59 PM   #35
krick
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by domrevans View Post
In most cases, the people who will say they don't like screen protectors are they people who have been unsuccessful in applying them.

A good quality one, when applied properly, is virtually impossible to know its there. Almost invisible, even whe your looking for it. I had to pull one off once just to prove to the manager of a phone shop I had one on!

As said above, in a win win. I can't see any reason not to have one.
Have to disagree. Your comment about it being virtually impossible to know that a screen protector is there only applies to film protectors (as opposed to glass protectors which due to their thickness are immediately and obviously visible [displeasingly so IMO]), and only applies until you actually start touching and using them. There isn't a film protector on the market that feels the same as the bare iPhone glass, nor is there a film protector on the market that is as scratch resistant as the bare iPhone glass, which means that you will immediately feel the difference and very quickly see the difference.
krick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:32 AM   #36
theautopilot
macrumors 6502a
 
theautopilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by krick View Post
Have to disagree. Your comment about it being virtually impossible to know that a screen protector is there only applies to film protectors (as opposed to glass protectors which due to their thickness are immediately and obviously visible [displeasingly so IMO]), and only applies until you actually start touching and using them. There isn't a film protector on the market that feels the same as the bare iPhone glass, nor is there a film protector on the market that is as scratch resistant as the bare iPhone glass, which means that you will immediately feel the difference and very quickly see the difference.
That's cool, but I still disagree. A good one feels almost exactly the same. When there is a slight difference the trade off is worth it IMO. The media devil one im using is almost exactly the same as the naked screen. Remember without an SP your finger is not on glass, the iPhone glass has a coating. Many good SPs have the same coating, or almost the same, so it feels and works just like it. I have never noticed any reduction of sensitivity either.

I agree with you about the glass ones, I really don't like them.
theautopilot is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC