Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robots3humans0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
London, Ontario
How badly does an iPhone need to be damaged before it can be replaced through AppleCare+? I just dropped my iPhone 5 last night and theres a crack in the glass in the upper left corner. Everything works just fine so the phone hasn't "failed" as per their terms and conditions, but I'm just curious if they'll replace it anyways. I'd be fine with a replacement screen but if I have to pay for that I may as well just use my one replacement for $50 then pay any amount to replace the screen alone.

Any experiences with non-"failing" devices being replaced?

Usehername

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
Yeah they will replace for a small fee. But why waste one of your replacements on a small cracked screen? If you can live with it use it, or you can just replace it.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
Yeah, they'll replace it with hundreds of refurbished ones they have in the back on the spot. You're phone will likely be fixed and be someone else's refurbished phone. And the cycle continues....

robots3humans0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
London, Ontario
Yeah they will replace for a small fee. But why waste one of your replacements on a small cracked screen? If you can live with it use it, or you can just replace it.

There are chips at each end of the crack where a piece of glass is missing. I'm a little afraid it'll get worse. And yeah, I don't want to live with it aha :eek:

Yeah, they'll replace it with hundreds of refurbished ones they have in the back on the spot. You're phone will likely be fixed and be someone else's refurbished phone. And the cycle continues....

Alright then. Off to the Apple store I go.

Goodeye

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
While I agree with others a small crack is something that can be lived with, if pieces of glass are coming off the phone regardless of how small that is cause for concern. I would get it replaced.

robots3humans0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
London, Ontario
While I agree with others a small crack is something that can be lived with, if pieces of glass are coming off the phone regardless of how small that is cause for concern. I would get it replaced.

Yeah, I think i agree with you. Maybe they'll be nice and just replace it without charge :p. Not likely, but one can hope.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
They can replace the screen - you won't need an entire new phone.

Much easier and quicker for the apple store to replace the phone. Plus a screen replacement costs more or around the the same amount (depending on which country). The OP also has AppleCare+ so it would be wayyyyy quicker, easier and cheaper to just get a replacement for $50.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
How badly does an iPhone need to be damaged before it can be replaced through AppleCare+?
Terms are online for you to refer to:
http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/applecareplus.pdf
3.2 Accidental Damage from Handling
If during the Plan Term you submit a valid claim notifying Apple that the Covered iPhone has failed due
to accidental damage from handling (“ADH”), Apple will subject to the service fee described below either
(i) repair the defect using new or refurbished parts that are equivalent to new in performance and
reliability, or (ii) exchange the Covered iPhone with a replacement product that is new or equivalent to
new in performance and reliability, and is at least functionally equivalent to the original product (both
individually known as a “Service Event”). ADH coverage will expire and all of Apple’s obligations to
you under this section 3.2 will be fulfilled in its entirety before the end of the Plan Term when
Apple, as a result of ADH claims, has provided to you two (2) Service Events. ADH coverage only
applies to an operational or mechanical failure caused by an accident from handling that is the result of
an unexpected and unintentional external event (e.g., drops and liquid contact) that arises from your
normal daily usage of the Covered iPhone as intended for such Covered iPhone. ADH coverage does not
include (a) protection against normal wear and tear, theft, misplacement, reckless, abusive, willful or
intentional conduct associated with handling and use of the Covered iPhone, (b) protection against any
other act or result not covered by the Plan, as described in Section 4.2 below, or (c) any resultant
damage to the Covered iPhone that arises from one or more conditions described in Section 3.2(a) or (b).
You will pay a $49 (U.S.) dollar service fee plus applicable tax for each ADH claim, and may be asked
to provide an explanation of where and when the accident occurred with a detailed description of the
actual event. A claim will be denied if you fail to pay the service fee or fail to provide information relating
to the accident when asked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.