Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:24 AM   #151
AutoUnion39
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by alent1234 View Post
i checked out T-Mo's coverage map and they are still EDGE in half of NYC. Manhattan is not the only part of NYC.
Yup, its all a bunch of crap. They need to deal with getting rid of EDGE outside of major cities. Not deploying LTE
AutoUnion39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:32 AM   #152
knucklehead
macrumors 6502a

the event is being covered live at CNET:

http://live.cnet.com/Event/T-Mobile_...ess_conference
knucklehead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:34 AM   #153
powers74
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to powers74
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneMadRssn View Post
I would be all over this if either their coverage was any good, or they had a roaming agreement with another carrier to make up for the spotty coverage.
Don't you mean there coverage?

I can't wait. I'll be jumping over when iPhone5S comes out, pay full price for the 5 & hand off the 4 to the wife.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:42 AM   #154
TyPod
macrumors 68000

This is good news for where T-Mobile is popular! Personally I don't know one person that has T-Mobile as their service provider.
TyPod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:44 AM   #155
Vip
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEmajr View Post
They don't have to. At least not upfront. The Galaxy S3 for instance is only $69 upfront to get out the door and then $20 for 20 months. Even when combined with the $20 for the phone your rate plan on Tmobile still comes out cheaper than the other 3 carriers and once the device is paid off your bill drops. Whereas people on the other carriers continue paying the same high rate plans even if they do not upgrade to a new device after two years.

Tmobile could potentially change the game and have success with this method if they can probably educate and market it to consumers.
Doubt they will be able to educate the Bubba's that prefer to live on the never never
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:57 AM   #156
vladi
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
I'm baffled that u would insult Americans, and be 100% wrong at the same time. My phone bill on AT&T is exactly the same whether I buy a subsidized phone or a phone at full price.
Please read this again and then again and let us know what is your conclusion.
vladi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:58 AM   #157
einmusiker
macrumors 68020

tmo cverage in my area is still crap, thank god I still have unlimited LTE and voice and text on verizon for only $70/mo after taxes. Hopefully the popularity of this plan will help Tmo improve their coverage area
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:04 AM   #158
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladi View Post
Please read this again and then again and let us know what is your conclusion.
Read it 3 times.
sulpfiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:13 AM   #159
vladi
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdtran1025 View Post
Currently, TMobile non-contract plans have no middle sweet spot to make it competitive, due in part to the limited network footprint in the past. The $50 unlimited everything is perhaps the most enticing plan in the eyes of consumers, but that is 3G. If they can keep the same pricing for going forward to LTE, they may have a shot.
Customers who have the money to buy own phones always fare better in the end.
Their 3G is HSPA+ that is as fast as LTE with proper infrastructure. Some carriers even reach the max output of 168mps/22mbps. Do not fall for the labels 3G, 4G, Dual core, Quad core, but actually see if it works for you. Do you know that you can VOIP over EDGE as well? So far very few people need HSPA+/LTE speeds cause there is no much to do with all that bandwith but your battery suffers greatly from 24/7 connectivity.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
Read it 3 times.
Great. So now you are aware that you have paid off your iPhone two times in your 2 year agreement. And if you take the exact same plan without getting the phone you are paying of somebody else's phone. In other words ATT sells you 2 iPhones but its your choice if you want to take only one or none.
vladi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:35 AM   #160
aneftp
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbookReader View Post
How much would something like this cost on AT&T, Verizon and Sprint? (it's $130 a month on T-Mobile).

line 1: unlimited talk, unlimited text, unlimited data
line 2: unlimited talk, unlimited text, 2GB of data
line 3: unlimited talk, unlimited text, 500MB of data
line 4: unlimited talk, unlimited text, 500MB of data

$80 (first 2 lines) + $10 (3rd line) + $10 (4th line) + $20 (unlimited data for line 1) + $10 (2GB for line 2) = $130

$130 / 4 = $32.5
The math is complicated once you factor into subsidies for post paid carriers like ATT/Verizon/Sprint.

Each line is worth $400 per line on ATT/Verizon/Sprint in term of subsidies. So the more lines, the bigger the overall subsides. Also factor in discounts ranging from 10%-28% on these carriers. I currently get a 24% discount.

Here's my math:
700 minute plan plus rollover plus A-list plus "any mobile". Essentially unlimited minutes

$60 for first line, $10 for each line.

So 4 lines=$90 for 4 lines
Data 2 X $30 unlimited data=$60 (2 smartphone)
Data 2X $20 (300MB)=40
Family unlimited texting=$20 for my plan (it's usually $30 but you can always ask for $20 from ATT).

So $90 plus $60 plus $40 plus $20 equals $210

So on paper T-mobile's $130 example you cited is much cheaper than ATT $210 plan.

But not so fast

Let's factor in the $400 subsidy per line (that's a total of $1600 over a 20 month period because that's when you are eligible for another round of subsides).

So do the math (T-mobile zero subsdiy).
$130/month (4 lines) x 20 months equals $2600

ATT 4 lines ($210 X 20 months) $4200.

So T-mobile comes out $1600 cheaper over a 20 month period than ATT.

But ATT gives you $400 X 4 lines worth of subsidies for the iPhone.

So it's a complete wash in terms of savings between T-mobile and ATT after 20 months.

As you can see, I can add line 5 and ATT will come out cheaper over a $20 month period.

Factor in my 24% discount (T-mobile will charge you taxes on those lines as well). Factor 24% discount. ATT comes out way ahead with me with 4 lines and much much more with 5 lines.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:21 PM   #161
oneMadRssn
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneMadRssn
I would be all over this if either their coverage was any good, or they had a roaming agreement with another carrier to make up for the spotty coverage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by powers74 View Post
Don't you mean there coverage
No, I don't. I mean their.

oneMadRssn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 01:03 PM   #162
neuropsychguy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by alent1234 View Post
$100 for 4 lines is pre tax
if its like AT&T figure $8 to $10 per month per line for taxes
then $20 per month per line for phone subsidy

that's almost $220 per month right there

compared to $266 i pay AT&T for a 4 line family plan with 10GB of data for everyone

no savings
Yes, but there is tax on AT&T and Verizon just like T-Mobile, which is why I didn't include it (actually tax is higher than with T-Mobile because the base upon which tax is calculated is higher than with T-Mobile).

The point of my post was to show that for some people it makes sense to go with T-Mobile and others it doesn't make sense. But generally, it's cheaper to go with T-Mobile (especially if there is no corporate discount).
neuropsychguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 01:07 PM   #163
powers74
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneMadRssn View Post
No, I don't. I mean their.

That... wasajoke.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 04:01 PM   #164
Lancer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by staypuffinpc View Post
Which is exactly why the whole "subsidized" phone business works so well. Too many people would rather get fleeced. Note that t-Mobile is not asking people to buy the phone outright, but rather, they'll let you pay it over 24 months, but when those 24 months are up, you've actually payed off the phone and don't have to keep paying for it. In the "subsidized" plans, the provider divides the cost of the phones across 20 months and charge you that price for the duration of your contract, which is usually 24 months, meaning that they are making sure to charge you more than the price of the phone, even if you buy a new phone after your contract is up.
That's why I said I'd do the maths first, to see exactly how much I'd pay over 2 years, including my normal phone charges. In most cases it's about the same as buying the phone outright but you have 24 months to pay for it.

At least that's how it works here in Australia. You know up front how much the handset is going to cost per month.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 06:59 AM   #165
cfs
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuropsychguy View Post
Yes, but there is tax on AT&T and Verizon just like T-Mobile, which is why I didn't include it (actually tax is higher than with T-Mobile because the base upon which tax is calculated is higher than with T-Mobile).

The point of my post was to show that for some people it makes sense to go with T-Mobile and others it doesn't make sense. But generally, it's cheaper to go with T-Mobile (especially if there is no corporate discount).
Do we know what T-mobile taxes and fees will be? I have been looking for this. Curious if they will be low such as their prepaid plans and Virgin Mobile plans. For example, on T-Mobiles $30 plan one just pays state tax on the $30 with no fees and this is similar on Virgin Mobile.
cfs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 02:40 PM   #166
occollegeboi420
macrumors member

You people REALLY don't know what you're talking about...

Being an AVID t-mobile subscriber since I had my 2g iPhone, jailbroken and unlocked on 3.1.3 with redsn0w, and now own an iPhone 4 factory unlocked via at&t and purchased from ebay, I can tell you these things:

1. Tmobile DOES have free roaming. They tell you to turn the switch to ON in the cellular data settings.
2. Tmobile has 3g on the iphone now, but you need to be on 6.xx ios. I get excellent 3g in dallas and pretty fast. Maps loads up fast.
3. Yah, tmobile does have a couple spots where I don't get that great of service, but hey, all you gotta do is just walk a few meters or so and you'll get better service again. The only places I don't get good 3g are in my house (I use wifi anyway so it doesn't matter) and at my work (I don't really need to be on the internet at work anyway, so no big deal.)
4. Number 3 doesn't even matter with tmobile's super CHEAP prices for service. You can do your own research to find out tmobiles plans at this current moment for unlocked iphones. I'm paying prepaid, $60 for unlimited everything, and my data getting capped at 5gb.
5. Tmobile has seen all the mistakes that all the other carriers have maid. Tmobile has learned how to do it the right way.
6. It's about damn time tmobile gets the iPhone now. Sheesh...take forever.
occollegeboi420 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 02:01 PM   #167
Zudeo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveiTunes View Post
before you criticize there ad start proof-reading what you type... Green lit
*their.

Pot meet kettle meet.. pot? Anyways, The difference between us and them is that we don't work for an ad agency/T-Mobile.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 02:16 PM   #168
tekboi
macrumors 6502a

This should be interesting. I would hate to use the iPhone on a ****** carrier like T-mobile.
tekboi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 03:25 PM   #169
jtp098
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNomNoms View Post
Here is the problem, in the case of New Zealand we have Telecom offering NZ$0 down phones on plans that no one in their right mind would ever fully use each month. For example, a 32GB iPhone 5 for NZ$0 down will set you back NZ$159 per month (over 24 months) which gives you 600 texts, 1000minutes of talk and 3GB of data (the data can be used how ever you want) - how many people will ever use 1000 minutes let alone 3GB of data on their phone? I mean, I'm on a NZ$29.95 open contract with 500MB of data per month along with 150minutes of chatting and unlimited texts - and even by the end of the month I haven't even used that - so why do people think that they're getting a 'super deal' by paying NZ$0 for a plan they'll never fully utilise at NZ$159 per month? based on my number crunching I can pay off my 64GB iPhone 5 plus pay NZ$29.95 each month and still come off better than going for the NZ$0 option. People really confuse me some times.
I guess it would depend on usage. Across my three lines we go through 1,500 minutes a month easy and each user is at the data limit each month and texts are around 6,000+ as a group total.

For me which ever gets me the phone cheapest but in the least time is better for me so if I can get the for for 579 great!
jtp098 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 04:29 PM   #170
adder7712
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by powers74 View Post
Don't you mean there coverage?

I can't wait. I'll be jumping over when iPhone5S comes out, pay full price for the 5 & hand off the 4 to the wife.
I think it's their.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 03:49 PM   #171
powers74
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by adder7712 View Post
I think it's their.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...&postcount=163

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion