Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thebigmeowski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2013
Fairly recently I decided to ditch Windows. I pulled the trigger and bought retina 13" which I really really love. It's great portable machine for photo editing, I've been very pleased with it in overall.
I decided to sell my primary Win machine and replace it with a Mac. I've been looking into the matter for a while now, but it surely helps to get some feedback from some other point of view.

I probably need to state my needs more clearly. I am mainly a photographer, so looking from this angle the Retina is insanely pleasing for me, photos do look perfect.
However, I sometimes like to play a little with design in PS, and I plan to get better at it, so this is why Retina can be tricky sometimes (designing for non-retina world etc) and as I already own rMBP 13 which is portable and great I was thinking maybe about getting a desktop iMac 27? The reason why I'm so hesitant about it (despite it being a gorgeous machine) is I haven't really own a desktop since like 2006...

The exact configruations I've been aiming at:

1. rMBP 15" i7 2.4 GHz / 16 GB RAM / 512 GB SSD
+ external monitor i.e Dell (not really Thunderbolt as they are quite expensive, at least in my country, after converting currency it costs like 500$ more than in the US...).

2. iMac 27" i5 3.2 GHz / 16 GB RAM / 1 TB Fusion Drive / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1 GB

The iMac is on the cheaper side and I can still get better graphic card without it really affecting everything. It is generally a plus, considering that with rMBP 15 I would have to look for an external monitor as well, it would increase the price difference even more.

I decided to go with the lower rank CPUs because I think they are still more than enough to suit my needs even when doing heavy tasks and I kinda hope they wont be as hot as the much stronger ones lol.

I might add that this is kinda a splurge for me, I have never bought two so expensive computers in such a period of time, so I guess I want to make it as capable and (even though I don't particularly like this word) as "future proof"
as possible. I'd love to be good to go for the next two, three maybe even four years if it's even possible with today's technology (probably not though).

What do you think? Sorry if sth's unclear, I'm new to Mac and new to this forum, still I got to say I got to know so much about Macs already! Thanks!

Last edited:

jobush

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2013
I'd say get the iMac.
And I would also add that you shouldn't worry about the heat. Unless your workstation is very poorly ventilated, the computer should work fine. After all, they're designed to withstand a 'standard' working environment with (pretty much) any configurations. So feel free to give the CPU more muscle.

If it is a desktop replacement, I would see absolutely no reason to choose the Macbook over the iMac, especially since you already have a 13" retina.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.