Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old May 15, 2013, 05:52 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

DirecTV Updates iPhone App With Voice Commands

DirecTV today updated its iPhone app with the ability to search channels and discover new entertainment with voice commands. The app allows users to view search results on the TV (via a supported DirecTV DVR) or on the iPhone.

Similar to how one would interact with Apple's Siri, the app allows DirecTV customers to ask questions like "what action movies are on tonight?" or to make requests like "record True Blood" or "show me comedy movies." The app also allows searches for programs by title, channel, actor, time frame, genre and more.

Quote:
What's New in Version 2.5.0

NEW IN THIS VERSION

Search and discover entertainment with the power of your voice.

- Just talk as you would to a person and the app finds what you're looking for.
- Search for programs by mentioning title, channel, keyword, actor, time frame, genre and more.
- Switch to TV mode to see your dialogue and search results on your TV screen. HD DVR (HR24+) required. Your phone and HD DVR must be connected to same Wi-Fi network.
- See personalized recommendations as soon as you switch to TV mode.
DirecTV for iPhone is a free download on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: DirecTV Updates iPhone App With Voice Commands
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Solowalker
macrumors regular

And yet I still can't control my DVR from my phone beyond setting things to record! Somebody has their priorities out of whack.
Solowalker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 09:57 PM   #3
roland.g
macrumors Demi-God

I've got some decent receivers and apparently their not new enough. Go figure.

Not to mention the functionality is limited. I want to be able to say "put on ESPN" or "put on channel 299" or "pause tv". I don't think it has any capabilities beyond search.
Old May 15, 2013, 11:08 PM   #4
Deelron
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solowalker View Post
And yet I still can't control my DVR from my phone beyond setting things to record! Somebody has their priorities out of whack.
Which is funny since the iPad app does let you browse the guide and change channels, amongst other things.
Deelron is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 01:25 AM   #5
Asriel
macrumors newbie

It's shameless how other companies copy features that people have guessed might appear at some point in the future on a device that Apple may or may not ever produce. Get your own ideas!
Asriel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 03:17 AM   #6
Smartass
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asriel View Post
It's shameless how other companies copy features that people have guessed might appear at some point in the future on a device that Apple may or may not ever produce. Get your own ideas!
yeah i completely agree, i cant believe somebody else made a touchscreen interface phone when i was thinking long before it came out how cool it would be to have it
Smartass is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 06:47 AM   #7
JosephAW
macrumors member

It's a shame that direct TV doesn't have the ability to create non admin accounts for use on iPhones. We have direct TV but the primary account holder won't give me their login so I can watch tv from my phone.
JosephAW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 07:08 AM   #8
starbird
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I contacted them years ago because Verizon FiOS allows you control and manage space on your DVR.
starbird is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 07:48 AM   #9
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Thank you! It is insane that they have so much (seemingly) sunk into this damn app but I cannot control my DVR. Weirdos.
They have no problem raising prices of things like the insurance plan or other weird little charges they tack on.
Old May 16, 2013, 08:15 AM   #10
ifij775
macrumors regular

Why didn't Apple offer a Siri API to do voice in any app last year?
ifij775 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 10:25 AM   #11
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 601

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post
Why didn't Apple offer a Siri API to do voice in any app last year?
The list of APIs that Apple has created and kept to themselves is getting pretty annoyingly long.
Siri, widgets, and lock screen apps are a few off the top of my head... I've come up with more extensive lists on this topic in prior posts.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 01:34 PM   #12
mdntcallr
macrumors 65816

Doesn't really help me at all, Directv disabled their app on any phones or ipads which are Jailbroken.

I really have some functions, ie settings and software which is perfectly legal and wont infringe on copyrights.... but Directv won't even allow me to set my dvr to record something if it is jailbroken.

Crappy for directv to do that.
Old May 16, 2013, 02:29 PM   #13
Rocketman
macrumors 603

They are definitely trying to enforce localization of owned vs used content. When my recent DTV HD receiver was installed they added a wifi dongle rather than hard wiring it to the internet via Ethernet. I presume if I was able to hard wire through my router I would also be able to bypass the localization scheme and see my DVR and TV content from my other house as well.
Old May 17, 2013, 11:41 AM   #14
SockRolid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
The iPad version of the DirecTV app is unbelievably good. You can control your DVR, watch live streaming TV, search for content, schedule recordings, view program guides, and tons of other things.

Oh, and the DVR controls include a 2.5 minute skip-forward button.
(In addition to the standard 30 second skip.)
Old May 20, 2013, 09:05 AM   #15
LlamaLarry
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to LlamaLarry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdntcallr View Post
Doesn't really help me at all, Directv disabled their app on any phones or ipads which are Jailbroken.
Works fine for me on my jb'd 6.1.2 iPhone 5. I don't even appear to have xCon installed anymore (which is actually what I was going to recommend).
Old May 20, 2013, 05:12 PM   #16
Solowalker
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post
The iPad version of the DirecTV app is unbelievably good. You can control your DVR, watch live streaming TV, search for content, schedule recordings, view program guides, and tons of other things.

Oh, and the DVR controls include a 2.5 minute skip-forward button.
(In addition to the standard 30 second skip.)
Okay, and how does this help me from my iPhone? This makes the omission from the iPhone app even more egregious. So they know iOS users want it but just limit it to the iPad for no apparent reason. And instead of addressing basic remote functionality on the iPhone first, they jump ahead to weird voice searches.

Waste of time.
Solowalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 01:31 PM   #17
SockRolid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Okay, and how does this help me from my iPhone? This makes the omission from the iPhone app even more egregious. So they know iOS users want it but just limit it to the iPad for no apparent reason. And instead of addressing basic remote functionality on the iPhone first, they jump ahead to weird voice searches.

Waste of time.
Get. An. iPad.

Maybe?
Old May 22, 2013, 12:24 AM   #18
Solowalker
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post
Get. An. iPad.

Maybe?
Dude...

Okay, if paying $500 for a remote control isn't a big deal for you, how 'bout you spot me one? 'Cause I don't need it for anything else. Already got an iPhone and MBP.

Obviously a more sane option would be to ditch DirecTV for a service that lets me do what I want. So here I go.
Solowalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 02:12 PM   #19
SockRolid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Dude...

Okay, if paying $500 for a remote control isn't a big deal for you, how 'bout you spot me one? 'Cause I don't need it for anything else. Already got an iPhone and MBP.

Obviously a more sane option would be to ditch DirecTV for a service that lets me do what I want. So here I go.
Sorry. Should have added a :-) after my iPad comment.

But think of it this way. How much did you pay for that DirecTV iPhone app?
Pretty close to $0.00, I'd guess. So how much of an outrage is it, really?
Srsly?

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion