Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jul 27, 2013, 06:25 PM   #1
compute
macrumors member

How to format my external HDD to NTFS

Hi people,

I have an external HDD (Lacie) but every time i want to drag a file bigger than 4GB to my external HDD i get a message saying an error occurred and it won't let me transfer all other files smaller than 4GB are no problem.

I would like to format my external HDD to NTFS only problem is i have absolutely no idea on how to do this on a mac i'm still running OSX leopard 10.6.8

Could someone please explain in the most easy way on how to format my external drive please, i'm a real noob when it comes to this stuff. All help would be greatly appreciated.
compute is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2013, 06:29 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by compute View Post
Hi people,

I have an external HDD (Lacie) but every time i want to drag a file bigger than 4GB to my external HDD i get a message saying an error occurred and it won't let me transfer all other files smaller than 4GB are no problem.

I would like to format my external HDD to NTFS only problem is i have absolutely no idea on how to do this on a mac i'm still running OSX leopard 10.6.8

Could someone please explain in the most easy way on how to format my external drive please, i'm a real noob when it comes to this stuff. All help would be greatly appreciated.
You can format drives using Disk Utility, after enabling writing to NTFS as follows. Mac OS X can only read NTFS drives natively, but writing is possible via several methods. NTFS (Windows NT File System)
  • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
  • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
  • To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
    • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon ($19.95) (Best Choice for Lion and Mountain Lion)
    • For Mac OS X 10.5 and later, including Lion, FUSE for OS X
    • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
    • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36), which is an enhanced version of NTFS-3G with faster performance.
    • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and later versions, but is not advisable, due to instability.
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
  • Maximum file size: 16 TB
  • Maximum volume size: 256TB
  • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:26 AM   #3
Weaselboy
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by compute View Post
Hi people,

You will need to add a product like Paragon to enable writing the NTFS drives on your Mac. A better and free solution would be to format the external drive to ExFAT. You can do this with Disk Utility in OS X. That will allow read/write on both Mac and Windows machines.

What you are seeing is the 4GB file size limitation of a FAT32 formatted drive. ExFAT does not have this limitation and should do the trick for you.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 12:49 PM   #4
compute
macrumors member

thanks guys, really appreciate the help!
compute is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help