Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:07 AM   #1
RoqueCub
macrumors newbie

iPad 5 comes Out Mid iPhone Cycle

I was pondering this idea today.

There is quite a bit of speculation on what the final iPad 5 will include. Touch ID or not, what camera, which chip and how many...

With my iPhone, I've been skipping the half step generations. 3 to 4 to 5 have all been pretty big steps in changes of the hardware and software. I have an iPad 2 currently and upgrading will already be a big change, however...

Is an iPad that is released on the iPhone half-step cycle worth getting?

Or am I stuck waiting for the iPhone/iPad 6 double combo?
RoqueCub is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:53 AM   #2
Night Spring
macrumors 604

Not sure there is a "half cycle" with the iPads like with the "S" iPhone models. So far, we had the original iPad, then the iPad 2 was a big design change, then 2, 3 and 4 have all had the same design, with internal component upgrades. The upcoming iPad 5, however, is rumored to be a big design change. If you want to get in on the one that is a leap in design, that should be it. After that, who knows what will happen next. So far, there hasn't been a regular pattern like with the iPhones.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 12:08 PM   #3
RoqueCub
macrumors newbie

Hopefully, less speculation and more facts are available in October.
RoqueCub is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 04:09 PM   #4
tmarks11
macrumors 6502

I think the Ipad 4 was an incremental ("half step") update, so the Ipad 5 will be the one to get.

Ipad 1 -> 2. Small change, easy to skip (256 -> 512kb, both not enough, 1Ghz single core to 1 Ghz dual core).
Ipad 2 -> 3. Big change (retina screen, 512 -> 1024 kb, finally got enough memory).
Ipad 3 -> 4. Small change (A6 -> A6X, 1-1.4 Ghz, but Ipad 3 is plenty fast).

I think this next one will be a big jump. 64 bit, 2 GB RAM, much faster CPU. This will be the one to get.

TICK-TOCK. This is the TICK.
tmarks11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 04:59 PM   #5
Night Spring
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
I think the Ipad 4 was an incremental ("half step") update, so the Ipad 5 will be the one to get.

Ipad 1 -> 2. Small change, easy to skip (256 -> 512kb, both not enough, 1Ghz single core to 1 Ghz dual core).
Ipad 2 -> 3. Big change (retina screen, 512 -> 1024 kb, finally got enough memory).
I totally agree that 3>4 was a small change, but disagree about the 1>2. The outer case was totally redesigned, and the 2 was significantly thinner and lighter than the 1. As for 2>3, yes retina, more memory, better processor, all a significant change, but the outside remained the same, as in all but the most tight fitting cases for the 2 also works on the 3. So whether 2>3 was a big change depends on how you define change. From what I understand of the changes in iPhone 5>5S, it seems to me that the changes are as significant as iPads 2>3, yet we are in a "tock" year.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 05:07 PM   #6
Carlanga
macrumors 601

the next one should hav ethe new screen corners so it's changed enough from the older model for some
Old Sep 18, 2013, 09:40 PM   #7
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

I don't think I understand. When the 5 comes out it wil be the begining of the iPad cycle. The iPhone has nothing to do with it.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 03:58 AM   #8
JulianL
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post

I think this next one will be a big jump. 64 bit, 2 GB RAM, much faster CPU. This will be the one to get.

TICK-TOCK. This is the TICK.
I agree. 4 -> 5 is hopefully also going to shed some of the weight that the iPad 3 and 4 put on when going to the retina screen. For me that's reason enough to upgrade from my iPad 3.

I don't really have any complaints about the performance of my current iPad except for maybe a few of my more bloated third party apps loading a bit slowly but I'm still really looking forward to seeing the performance improvements with the 5 because they should be incredible, especially as I've skipped the iPad 4.

If the rumoured improvements are delivered then the next iPad will be a launch-day purchase for me, assuming I can get hold of one with all the overloaded web site madness that happens when pre-orders open for new Apple iPhones and iPads.
JulianL is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad