Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Before you reply, I'm not talking about the number showing up, I'm talking about the identification of the caller. I understand there is not a database of cel phone numbers yet, I'm talking about landline numbers. It shows where geographically the call is from, don't we have the technology to supply the name/business as well?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I say a matter of privacy.

Heck I say by now we would have gotten rid of phone numbers. Can u imaging every time u have to go somewhere on the NET, u have to type in 68.123.456 76?

FixBrokeni

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
Before you reply, I'm not talking about the number showing up, I'm talking about the identification of the caller. I understand there is not a database of cel phone numbers yet, I'm talking about landline numbers. It shows where geographically the call is from, don't we have the technology to supply the name/business as well?

Taken from Wikipedia:

Caller ID is made up of two separate pieces of information: the calling number and the billing (or subscriber) name where available. When an originating phone switch sends out a phone number as caller ID, the telephone company receiving the call is responsible for looking up the name of the subscriber in a database. It is for this reason that mobile phone callers appear as WIRELESS CALLER, or the location where the phone number is registered (these vary based on which company owns the block of numbers, not the provider to which a number may have been ported).

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
I say a matter of privacy.

Heck I say by now we would have gotten rid of phone numbers. Can u imaging every time u have to go somewhere on the NET, u have to type in 68.123.456 76?

This is something I've thought about quite a bit too, there are just too many different ways to contact people.

I can see the future being something like Skype, everything communication-wise all in one place.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
The wireless companies generally allow you to pick whether other people see your name on their caller id. Most people probably don't even know that, or have consciously chosen not to allow their name. Either way, you almost never see a name from a wireless caller.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

Part of the problem is that the name portion of caller ID costs additional money. A carrier must submit the number to a database and get a name from it to provide that info, and these databases are owned by outside vendors (like Neustar) who charge a fee for each dip into it.

On most landlines, this is a feature that customers pay extra for. On cells, Caller ID incurs no additional fees to customers. Since it brings in no extra income, cell companies are not motivated to shell out more for this.

herdnerfer

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Saint louis, MO
In Theory

In Theory you shouldn't be getting that many calls from people you don't know on your cellphone so every number should match a name in your address book. Cell phones were never intended as a replacement for landlines, even though they are commonly used for that today (I do it myself).

It would cost the Cell carriers alot of money to maintain or outsource a Caller ID database. (Tmobile does it now but charges like 2.99 a month for people to have it.)

Unfortunately the phone system wasn't designed 100 years ago to carry the name info along with the phone number so that number has to be matched with a name in a database your phone provider has to update and maintain constantly.

This is why if you ever call someone and they tell you someone else's name is showing up on their caller ID, it is not YOUR phone company's problem, it is THEIRS for not having their database up to date.

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden

The app Truecaller does this for you by doing a number search an presents name, address etc in a box when the phone starts ringing, on Android. They aren't allowed to do it on iOS, but will be if they get the possibility. The app can still on iOS be used to block calls, look up calls later and even update your whole phone book with current addresses etc.

alexander25

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012

I have this with rogers in Canada.

If the number is not in my phone, it will show the persons last name, and first initial (whatever is registered in the database).

It also works for businesses.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Verizon allows you to choose what the recipient's caller ID displays - your name, "wireless caller" or something else.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
As others have mentioned, up here in Canada one wireless company has had this for a few years (Rogers/Fido - Rogers owns Fido), the feature is called "Name Display".

It's typically bundled with Caller ID in their premium/smartphone plans but otherwise you pay a little extra for it. It works as advertised; essentially it displays the registered public name (what's found in the phone book, for business or person) if there is one, otherwise it just shows the number (unless blocked). It's a great feature and find it strange that not all wireless providers in Canada and elsewhere have it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.