Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mknabster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
I use my Mac Mini 3,1 as a music server with Plex, and i have been using it with wireless. I just installed a switch in that room so now i can use it with ethernet, but as soon as i plugged in the cord, and turned off the wireless, the Internet would not work at all. Network settings reads it as connected with an IP, but it won't go out for whatever reason.

With the cord in, I can only access LAN computers. Now i did try leaving it in and letting the wireless on for the Internet, but when i transfer files to the machine or back from it, it goes over the wireless instead of the wire.

What's going on with this thing?

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
I use my Mac Mini 3,1 as a music server with Plex, and i have been using it with wireless. I just installed a switch in that room so now i can use it with ethernet, but as soon as i plugged in the cord, and turned off the wireless, the Internet would not work at all. Network settings reads it as connected with an IP, but it won't go out for whatever reason.

With the cord in, I can only access LAN computers. Now i did try leaving it in and letting the wireless on for the Internet, but when i transfer files to the machine or back from it, it goes over the wireless instead of the wire.

What's going on with this thing?

You can set the service order of your network connections by clicking on the little drop down window in the bottom of network prefs. You can make sure Ethernet is dragged to the top of the order. I am not sure if that was the issue but it may have been.

I had a similar problem to you Internet issue once. OSX network or my AirPort Extreme had set a different primary DNS for my isp when I did some network config changes. I have no idea why but it reset my primary DNS for my ISP to one of the local devices. That meant when I was trying to connect to the Internet it was going to one of my local macs IP addresses and not my ISPs DNS. All I needed to do was find the static primary DNS numbers and type it back in again and save.

One again, not sure if that is your issue but it may be a DNS issue if the local network is fine but no Internet.

mknabster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
I know it's not the cord because i tested it with several other machines and they all worked fine. I did try another cable and that did the same, and the switch also has 2 other computers on it, and they all have internet and LAN access, so it must be the mini itself.

Yea all the other computers in the house have no Internet or LAN problems, it's just this guy. In looking at the order, ethernet is above wireless, but it still is transferring files with wireless speeds of 1MB/s instead of 80Mb/s with the wire.

TheEasterBunny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Delaware
I know it's not the cord because i tested it with several other machines and they all worked fine. I did try another cable and that did the same, and the switch also has 2 other computers on it, and they all have internet and LAN access, so it must be the mini itself.

Yea all the other computers in the house have no Internet or LAN problems, it's just this guy. In looking at the order, ethernet is above wireless, but it still is transferring files with wireless speeds of 1MB/s instead of 80Mb/s with the wire.

Make sure its IP is within the subnet...check it closely.
Once I had one with an IP of 192.168.0.55
Another with an IP of 192.168.1.54
One worked and the other did not.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado

Is the ethernet config getting valid DNS assignments? Is DHCP enabled for that interface?

mknabster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
Yea IP address it pulls for both the wireless and ethernet are very similar, so 192.168.1.x, with wireless being x=15 and ethernet x=18.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Yea IP address it pulls for both the wireless and ethernet are very similar, so 192.168.1.x, with wireless being x=15 and ethernet x=18.

Yes, that for the IP address. But is your ethernet config pulling valid DNS entries?

DNS is only used for resolving internet resources. Without valid entries, you would experience your situation, local resources can be accessed while the internet seems unreachable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.