Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kwadwo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Hey!

What are Sparrow users changing to? Mailapp, Postbox, other?

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Too bad you didn't get many responses to your question. I think quite a few of us who jumped to Sparrow are looking for an alternative.

Sixth Street

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2007
I'd say if you already purchased Sparrow that there's no reason to search out an alternative at this point. Sparrow is still fully functional and the best gmail based client out there. All the contenders are still half-baked at best.

If you haven't purchased it, I'd probably stick with mail and wait for some of these new apps to develop and separate themselves.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I'm sticking to Sparrow for now with my gmail. I only have the free version, but it's serving me fine at the moment. My other favourite is Thunderbird, which I'm already using for my work emails, so if/when I eventually let go of Sparrow I'll either integrate my gmail into Thunderbird, or go for Postbox.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I like postbox, so if you're unhappy with the idea of google owning sparrow, then I suggest that app.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I continue to use Sparrow in OSX... works great in it's current form.

kgs

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
You can really make your life easier by not using Gmail for starters.

Fastmail.fm is $40/year to use with your own domain.

Rackspace can be had for as little as $2/mo (you have to purchase 5 IMAP accounts for $10/mo, then contact their support to have it knocked down to only 1 IMAP account for $2/mo)

Then you can use any email client you want without having to use something specific to Google.

I personally use Postbox, but I can just as easily use Thunderbird or Mail.app.

I refuse to give Google access to my email for advertising. Scummy company, but if you choose to go the Google route your options are going to be more limited for a reliable email client.

Yes, Gmail is accessible via IMAP, but it changes certain key things about organization and deleting that drive me bonkers, personally.

Also, believe it or not, Entourage in the latest Office is actually a really good email client too.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I continue to use Sparrow in OSX... works great in it's current form.

You have the best signature I've seen in a while :D

I've purchased Postbox, it's really very nice. So are Sparrow and Thunderbird, but since they have both announced they won't be updating and Postbox offers Evernote integration, I think I'm moving over to that. Still testing it out, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.