Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

giancarlo007

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Hi, is there a way to activate a new iPhone without connecting it to iTunes?
Reason I ask is because my son is getting it for Christmas but since its a surprise I don't want to deactivate his flip phone just yet.
Also my laptop screen where I have iTunes is acting up, and I can't take an external monitor with me (we are spending Christmas in a remote place). Can i just do the onitial setup here today and call att ti activate it tomorrow?
What are my options?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You will either need to activate it by plugging it in to itunes or do it on the phone while its connected to wifi network.
Then the system will activate the sim inside and deactivate the old sim inside his old cellphone.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
Hi, is there a way to activate a new iPhone without connecting it to iTunes?
Reason I ask is because my son is getting it for Christmas but since its a surprise I don't want to deactivate his flip phone just yet.
Also my laptop screen where I have iTunes is acting up, and I can't take an external monitor with me (we are spending Christmas in a remote place). Can i just do the onitial setup here today and call att ti activate it tomorrow?
What are my options?

Will you have a wi-fi connection in said "remote place"?

http://ipod.about.com/od/iphonehowtos/ss/activate_iphone.htm

giancarlo007

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Thanks for all the help guys. So we got it initiated and it's working on wifi only. It hasn't recognized the cellular network it says "no service" how do we go around activating the cellphone part?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.